Dreger: Tyson Barrie will test free agency

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
McDrai did not turn Barrie into an offensive force, he always has been. He’s vastly under appreciated offensively. This guy is gonna get a good payday on medium to long term contract and will continue to be what he always has. A league leader in points bringing average to slightly below defence.
Nobody is saying that Barrie is bad here. They are saying that after his disaster in Toronto, playing with arguably the top 2 centres in the NHL helped him rebound. There probably isn't a better scenario that Barrie could have been in than the one he chose for this season. He will still be good if he is on a team with some good players, and has coaches who know his strengths and can develop a system that uses those.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think everyone but Leaf fans are giving him credit. Very few Oiler fans don't want him back. Those of us who are okay with him leaving know that it is likely because he is going to go for the highest bidder, and that likely can't be Edmonton with our cap structure sitting where it is. It is very possible that he signs a contract that is awful for his new team.

What's the highest the Oilers would go?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't really know. I don't think it would be smart to go over 5M per, and I would be most comfortable with 3 years, but I anticipate someone offers him 6-7M X 5 years and he would be silly to turn that down for the deal I would offer him. He certainly has earned a raise if another team can afford to pay it.

I would go higher if we weren't in need of a goalie of the future, 2 or 3 middle six forwards, and didn't have an extension for Nurse that we need to work on over the next year with no cap increase in sight. Or if we didn't have an NHL replacement ready with a similar skill set.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Win a cup this year, sign with the Sabres for big money and have long summers off for the rest of his career. That would be a perfectly executed plan

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Nobody is saying that Barrie is bad here. They are saying that after his disaster in Toronto, playing with arguably the top 2 centres in the NHL helped him rebound. There probably isn't a better scenario that Barrie could have been in than the one he chose for this season. He will still be good if he is on a team with some good players, and has coaches who know his strengths and can develop a system that uses those.

To the bolded, there are many comments in this thread and countless others implying he had a good year due to who he plays with and the sentence after is exactly what I'm referring to. He was always going to rebound, hence the underappreciated comment. "His disaster" wasn't on him. In Toronto, he went to a team with a bonehead coach, while learning a new system. After said coach was let go, he had to learn yet another while also regaining his form offensively. He was never the problem specifically. Good players get points with other good players and he would have had a good year playing with Matthews and Marner, just as he did with Mackinnon and Rantanen beforehand or McDrai since. Betting on himself for the one year was the smartest move he could've made, not where he signed as he would have likely finished top 10-15 regardless of the team but almost always it's "the best thing he could've done is sign in Edmonton".

His year in Toronto is the outlier, not the norm and he would've cashed in regardless of who he signed with this year. Playing with McDavid and Drai was a pleasure I'm sure but he can put up points on his offensive skills alone, that's all I'm saying and why I believe that even in this thread he's underappreciated offensively.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
To the bolded, there are many comments in this thread and countless others implying he had a good year due to who he plays with and the sentence after is exactly what I'm referring to. He was always going to rebound, hence the underappreciated comment. "His disaster" wasn't on him. In Toronto, he went to a team with a bonehead coach, while learning a new system. After said coach was let go, he had to learn yet another while also regaining his form offensively. He was never the problem specifically. Good players get points with other good players and he would have had a good year playing with Matthews and Marner, just as he did with Mackinnon and Rantanen beforehand or McDrai since. Betting on himself for the one year was the smartest move he could've made, not where he signed as he would have likely finished top 10-15 regardless of the team but almost always it's "the best thing he could've done is sign in Edmonton".

His year in Toronto is the outlier, not the norm and he would've cashed in regardless of who he signed with this year. Playing with McDavid and Drai was a pleasure I'm sure but he can put up points on his offensive skills alone, that's all I'm saying and why I believe that even in this thread he's underappreciated offensively.
Again, the only people disagreeing with this statement are a handful of trolling Leafs fans. It also isn't outlandish to suggest that he put up more points in his current situation than he would have in most other places. That's why it was his best season to date in terms of points per game. That's not a knock on him. Literally everyone plays better when they play with better players, so I don't know why you are upset about it.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
He didnt get those number with Matthews/Marner, though, so he must have been doing something good.

The Oilers need to make room for Bouchard. I think he can be the PP no 1 guy if Barrie leave.

But let's not act like Barrie would turn into a pumpkin once he signs elsewhere. He has been a 0,65 PPG defenceman since he joined the league 10 years ago. He's good at getting puck at the net.
The reality is the oilers will likely have Klefbom back on PP-1 once he is back. If he isn't then Nurse will fill that hole while Bouchard grows into the position. Either way Barrie will be a luxury that the oilers cannot afford.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Again, the only people disagreeing with this statement are a handful of trolling Leafs fans. It also isn't outlandish to suggest that he put up more points in his current situation than he would have in most other places. That's why it was his best season to date in terms of points per game. That's not a knock on him. Literally everyone plays better when they play with better players, so I don't know why you are upset about it.
I’m not upset, I just enjoy debating so I apologize for coming off as offended if that was the case.

Again though, it’s not just a handful of leafs trolls insinuating he’s being propped up. The first few pages of this thread alone prove otherwise.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would go higher if we weren't in need of a goalie of the future, 2 or 3 middle six forwards, and didn't have an extension for Nurse that we need to work on over the next year with no cap increase in sight. Or if we didn't have an NHL replacement ready with a similar skill set.

Honestly it's mostly just Bouchard's presence that makes it easier to say goodbye to Barrie. The Oilers have the cap space to keep Barrie and meet other needs as well, and keeping a .9 point per game D at $6.5m is good value, just not when you have Bouchard sitting there ready to replace him.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
If he was going to be reasonable, he likely would have been re-signed already.
I don't know Tyson doesn't strike me as a dummy, he knows he might be able to get a big pay day but I think he's testing FA to get all the offers on the table. If Edmonton made an offer and is $500,000 less than another team....

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I hope Edmonton pays him $10 million a year.

Maybe the older regimes would've entertained an overpay but Holland is a very experienced GM and has acted like it thus far
I don't think he'll have an issue walking away if the numbers don't make sense... heck he looks like he's ready to walk away from RNH who's been here for a decade and a fan favourite

Reactions: Oilslick941611

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't know Tyson doesn't strike me as a dummy, he knows he might be able to get a big pay day but I think he's testing FA to get all the offers on the table. If Edmonton made an offer and is $500,000 less than another team....
That's a completely fair statement. I know Barrie is no dummy. He took a deal with Edmonton last year because he knew it was one of the best places to play up his value after the Toronto debacle. He has done that in spectacular fashion. He has earned a big contract, and will probably get it. But I do agree, if Edmonton offers him something comparable, he still might re-sign here. He knows he is in a good situation here. Signing with another team might be guaranteed money, but at the same time, losing sucks, playing for a team where you don't fit in sucks, and being the scapegoat for a team not meeting its targets sucks. All things that are not likely to happen in Edmonton, but possible on other teams that he may not fit in on.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I don't think he's gonna get the crazy offers he thinks he's gonna get. He's 29 and everyone already knows what he is an offensive Dman who isn't even average defensively. His numbers were obviously pumped up with the McDrai effect and I'm sure the league realizes that. If someone thinks he's going to put up these similar numbers moving forward on any other team besides the Oilers they are going to be disappointed.

Reactions: TheNumber4

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I don't think he's gonna get the crazy offers he thinks he's gonna get. He's 29 and everyone already knows what he is an offensive Dman who isn't even average defensively. His numbers were obviously pumped up with the McDrai effect and I'm sure the league realizes that. If someone thinks he's going to put up these similar numbers moving forward on any other team besides the Oilers they are going to be disappointed.

I mean.. he put up similar numbers on the Avs.

I don't think his numbers this year are as crazy as some people think.

Reactions: Hennessy

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Barrie is a 50+ point guy on a team that knows how to use him. Ideally you don't want Barrie on the top pairing and his defense is average at best.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I mean.. he put up similar numbers on the Avs.

I don't think his numbers this year are as crazy as some people think.
3 out of his last 4 years were his best I agree and quite similar production minus the 1 Toronto year. However, he's 29 and not going to get better he definitely benefited from playing with McDrai. I'd bet his numbers take a decent hit next year if he moves to another team.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I don’t recall any of the usual media pundits speculating on that yet. If I was putting my GM hat on, I wouldn’t go over $5M x3 or $4.5Mx4. And yes, I fully realize he’d have to be CRAZY to take that. Hear me out: I am assuming we re-sign Adam Larsson. The will seems to be there from both sides so we’ll call that a fait accompli. So if we sign Barrie, we have to trade either Bear or Bouchard. Neither Bear nor Bouchard are as good as Barrie, but Bear is on a very reasonable contract and Bouchard is on his ELC. Spending more than my offer and foregoing the cheap minutes Bear and Bouchard will provide means less money for a goalie, a LW, and either Nuge or Nuge’s replacement (not to mention Nurse the year after). So that’s my line in the sand.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
If Barrie comes at less than 6, Oilers should keep him. Yes they have Bouchard in the wings but it's not like they have Makar.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don’t recall any of the usual media pundits speculating on that yet. If I was putting my GM hat on, I wouldn’t go over $5M x3 or $4.5Mx4. And yes, I fully realize he’d have to be CRAZY to take that. Hear me out: I am assuming we re-sign Adam Larsson. The will seems to be there from both sides so we’ll call that a fait accompli. So if we sign Barrie, we have to trade either Bear or Bouchard. Neither Bear nor Bouchard are as good as Barrie, but Bear is on a very reasonable contract and Bouchard is on his ELC. Spending more than my offer and foregoing the cheap minutes Bear and Bouchard will provide means less money for a goalie, a LW, and either Nuge or Nuge’s replacement (not to mention Nurse the year after). So that’s my line in the sand.
These are in line with the numbers I shared earlier in the thread too. Like you said, this summer we need two top six forwards (Nuge and a new pickup, or two new pickups if Nuge leaves), a starting (and maybe a backup) goalie, a RD (Larsson likely re-signing should cover that). Financially, its pretty simple for Edmonton, unless we start getting into buyouts or finding a taker for Koskinen.

This summer, we have some cash space opening up (2.33 in buyout penalties gone, 2.75 savings on Russell's new deal, let's say $1M in Chaisson (he is gone, but we need to give someone his spot and that will take at least 1M). Barrie's cap hit (3.75) will be eliminated by a returning Klefbom (4.0). Any other FA's we are letting walk will need to be replaced internally or with similarly priced players. I'm not factoring in losing Nuge, because we will need to use the 6M he makes to find a replacement. Which leaves us at $6M in cap space, with a goalie and a top six winger to sign still. There just isn't room for extending Barrie, unless Klefbom retires and we can move out some bad contracts (Neal, Koskinen, Kassian).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I still don't really get why his mind would be made up, nor the Oilers

He just had a stellar season. What if they win a cup and he wins the smythe? Will they really let him walk? The timing is just odd - I mean wait to see what happens in the playoffs before deciding, one way or another

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad