Dreger: Tyson Barrie will test free agency

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like Joe Sakic is one of the smartest GM’s in hockey and if he didn’t want Barrie, I don’t want him either! One year contract is the way to go. Didn’t work in Toronto, worked in Edmonton. Not confident in a long term deal unless it’s very friendly and can be moved if it doesn’t work out where he signs.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I feel like Joe Sakic is one of the smartest GM’s in hockey and if he didn’t want Barrie, I don’t want him either! One year contract is the way to go. Didn’t work in Toronto, worked in Edmonton. Not confident in a long term deal unless it’s very friendly and can be moved if it doesn’t work out where he signs.

1. I think teams will be, and should be, leary of giving Barrie a huge lengthy contract. While he is a very good offensive defenceman, he has been very up and down over the past several years.

2. I don't think Sakic giving up on Barrie was a statement about his abilities, but rather was a recognition that allocating a big contract to Barrie did not make sense given the young talent breaking out on the Avs.

Reactions: shadow1 and BCNate

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Did he not want Barrie? Or did he not want Barrie long term when he had a few top tier young offensive defensemen coming in to replace him?

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Did he not want Barrie? Or did he not want Barrie long term when he had a few top tier young offensive defensemen coming in to replace him?

Probably both but he was trying to move him awfully early without much success. Barrie was arguably their top D when Joe was trying to make a move but held out for a long time.

I think in hindsight we see how talented Colorado’s D is right now but that wasn’t so easy to see a few years ago. He still went after Toews so it tells me for whatever reason, he didn’t want Barrie in his roster.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Probably both but he was trying to move him awfully early without much success. Barrie was arguably their top D when Joe was trying to make a move but held out for a long time.

I think in hindsight we see how talented Colorado’s D is right now but that wasn’t so easy to see a few years ago. He still went after Toews so it tells me for whatever reason, he didn’t want Barrie in his roster.

He was also trying to move him for a lot if I remember correctly. Same as he did with Duchene. Ended up getting a lot for him too. Kadri is dirty, but he's a really good player. Sakic was trying to move him because he knew that when Barrie was going to be looking for contract extensions and big paydays, he would have other players to give pay days to, like Mackinnon and Rantanen. Toews is paid significantly less than what Barrie's pre-COVID, pre-Maple Leafs contract would have been. It Toews was expected to be as good as he actually has been in Colorado, he never would have been traded at all.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He was also trying to move him for a lot if I remember correctly. Same as he did with Duchene. Ended up getting a lot for him too. Kadri is dirty, but he's a really good player. Sakic was trying to move him because he knew that when Barrie was going to be looking for contract extensions and big paydays, he would have other players to give pay days to, like Mackinnon and Rantanen. Toews is paid significantly less than what Barrie's pre-COVID, pre-Maple Leafs contract would have been. It Toews was expected to be as good as he actually has been in Colorado, he never would have been traded at all.

True, but that’s been Joe’s MO the whole time. Ask for a lot and be patient. I agree, if he paid Barrie it would have thrown a big wrench in future contracts so it was never a smart move to extend him. Whether the main move was for money or he didn’t think he fit long term, we’ll never really know.

But looking at how Duchene has panned out and now the inconsistencies in Barrie’s game are on full display, it feels like Joe made the right moves.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
True, but that’s been Joe’s MO the whole time. Ask for a lot and be patient. I agree, if he paid Barrie it would have thrown a big wrench in future contracts so it was never a smart move to extend him. Whether the main move was for money or he didn’t think he fit long term, we’ll never really know.

But looking at how Duchene has panned out and now the inconsistencies in Barrie’s game are on full display, it feels like Joe made the right moves.
I agree that Joe made the right moves, and I agree that Joe probably saw that Barrie had to be used in a certain way to be most effective, and you can't have a guy like that getting the big payday that he was on track to get and still contend, so I think it was just as much for the money as for the quality of player. If Barrie would have been willing to sign for less, I still don't think he would have stayed with the Aves long term though, as he wouldn't be needed with Toews, Girardi and Makar on the roster.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Bumping this one, seems like there hasn't been too much speculation on where Barrie signs. Who can afford what is likely going to be $6M+ per season?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
barrie is not a core piece but he wants core piece money and term. he's a 3/4 dman who can't play all situations, and struggles in a tight defensive system. his perfect landing spot is on a good team whose top dmen are lacking offensive flair.

but with jones and oel available, and in the flat cap world, his chances of getting paid what he wants by a contender looking to load up are approaching zero. to get what he is asking he needs to find a team with a cheap d-corps that badly needs offence and has the extra cap to pay him.

Reactions: banks

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
He was such a good fit in Edmonton. I don't think he'll find another team that will deploy him the same way.

I can't know his life enough to say what he should do. But I think the best place for him, hockey career wise, is staying in Edmonton.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The blueprint is out on Barrie. I wouldn't be overly afraid of a long-term unless it's 6mil a year at 5+ years.

When he was brought in here both Tippett and Holland knew what they were getting and didn't try to make him a different player or play him in a role he wasn't suited for. He was also told to play his game and not to worry about playing a different style other than the one that brought him success.

Now with that all being said, how many teams really have a lot of space to bring in a one dimensional player at a larger long-term contract? Probably not a lot. He is going to have to watch himself because if he starts turning down some decent deals he might not be left with anything.

Reactions: McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
No way he signs for that little after leading the league in scoring for defenseman.

I don't think its as crazy as people think. Barrie isn't your typical defenceman. Even though he lead the NHL in scoring he didn't receive a single Norris vote. People know what Barrie is. Hes a great offensive defenceman who played with great players and helps a powerplay. Pierre Lebrun said if the Oilers offered a deal like that he should sign it, so its not impossible.

https://thehockeywriters.com/oilers-tyson-barrie-discount-signing-could-be-costly/

“If the Oilers are willing to do a three-year deal worth between $4.5 million and $5 million a season, and I’m not saying they are, but let’s say they offer that: If I’m Barrie, I sign it. Sure, there could be another million a year elsewhere, and that’s something, but the “fit” is best in Edmonton. Just my two cents.”

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Barrie was the perfect addition, but it's time to move on.

The Oilers PP will click without him. The team needs to evolve towards better 5 on 5 play. That means keeping Larsson, and developing Bear. Bouchard also needs to graduate, and be our young Barrie-like offensive threat, with a lesser role to reflect the team's evolving identity.

In the cap world, you can't just keep a player because they are talented. There has to be a fit. Other teams require his talents more than we do. It's a bit premature to walk from Barrie perhaps, but committing to three years is too much for the Oilers.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I could see him coming back to Edmonton - 3 years 4.75M per season if he doesn't hit a homerun in free agency.

I'd be ok with that, but then we'd have to trade Bear to make room for Bouchard. Or trade Bouchard. Neither option is particularly appealing as I don't think we'd get full value for Bear and I'm terrified at trading one-of-two chances we have for a true #1D. I still have very high hopes for Bouchard.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I actually wouldn't mind Barrie on the Habs. We have enough players who could shelter him and could really benefit from his offense. That said, I wouldn't go anywhere above 5M

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'd be ok with that, but then we'd have to trade Bear to make room for Bouchard. Or trade Bouchard. Neither option is particularly appealing as I don't think we'd get full value for Bear and I'm terrified at trading one-of-two chances we have for a true #1D. I still have very high hopes for Bouchard.
If we can sign Barrie (and Larsson), then Bear has to be the odd man out. Enough people on HF have shown interest in Bear that you would think we could get a scoring middle six winger for him.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Will be an interesting one.

Most points in the reg season for d-men this year, top 25 previous years.

If he's going with largest offer it could be $7.5 mil+ though I feel like GMs will be hesitant to give more than 3 years term.

If bidding gets going some team could end up with an ugly contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad