Dreger: Tyson Barrie will test free agency

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
File this under the 'no shit' category. He came to Edmonton knowing he could improve his stock on their PP and getting regular icetime with their elites. There's no chance he wasn't going to weigh his options once the season ended.

From Edmonton's perspective, he's probably third on that list of UFA priorities this summer and his future in Edmonton relies heavily on the progress of Oscar Klefbom. If there's any likelihood that he's going to miss another season or that he'll be moved somewhere in the off-season, that opens up a hole in Edmonton's defensive depth and also the majority of the salary required to re-sign Barrie long-term.

If Klefbom returns, there's very little likelihood Barrie's needed nor could he be afforded.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Someone will give him a 7 year huge deal.. this will be his final huge long term deal of his career that takes him to 37 years old so you know he will get as much money as possible

Reactions: llamateizer

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
It'll be interesting to see if a team is desperate for blue line offense to sign him to a huge deal.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
File this under the 'no shit' category. He came to Edmonton knowing he could improve his stock on their PP and getting regular icetime with their elites. There's no chance he wasn't going to weigh his options once the season ended.

From Edmonton's perspective, he's probably third on that list of UFA priorities this summer and his future in Edmonton relies heavily on the progress of Oscar Klefbom. If there's any likelihood that he's going to miss another season or that he'll be moved somewhere in the off-season, that opens up a hole in Edmonton's defensive depth and also the majority of the salary required to re-sign Barrie long-term.

If Klefbom returns, there's very little likelihood Barrie's needed nor could he be afforded.
Yeah it was a win win regardless of the playoffs. The Oilers needed a stop gap to help the PP along till/if Klefbom returns, and it gave them another year to develop Bouchard instead of rush him, who looks almost over ripe now to play.

If Edmonton res-signs Larsson they already have a full right side for next season with Bear and Bouchard under contract and pushing for regular minutes

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Of course he is. We won’t be his highest offer this summer, so he needs to get everything laid out in front of him and decide what is best for him. I’m hoping he extends in Edmonton, but you’d be a fool not to at least listen to all the other teams in the league after the year he’s had

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Hoping he goes out with a bang.

It was fun watching you on the Oilers this season, Tyson; enjoy the next contract.
I'm just glad it won't be with Edmonton.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, good for him. The guy is awesome at what he does. He just needs to play for a team that will lean into that.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My personal bet on the destination: Philadelphia. Dougie is probably off limits for any club except Carolina barring something unexpected, and a core croup of Provorov/Barrie/Sanheim/Myers/York/Zamula is a good group to build around for the medium-term.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Don’t be surprised if Anaheim scoops him up. I’ve always loved Barrie since the Avs days. One of my favorite players ever to watch in the current NHL. If Barrie wants 5-7 years. Anaheim should be interested.

Anaheim worst in the league regarding scoring and needs a RHD long term. And before HF Boards starts knocking his contract he’s gonna get. Anaheim has 50 million to spend next year. With only 30 million in current cap.

Barrie is going to be fricken INSANE! With Zegras, Comtois, and Berniers should be ready by then.

Don’t sleep on Anaheim HF. This franchise has a lot of money to spend coming soon!!!! With 30 million to spend RIGHT now this summer! And 20 next summer

Reactions: McSpecial DraiBlend

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Seems like things are going to plan for him. Wonder what GMs will offer as they obviously realize he went to a situation good for him and he did benefit huge from it. Columbus could use a PP QB like him but I think its pretty safe to say Jarmo wont be throwing money his way

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
It'll be one of those deals you regret right away probably. He wont be racking up all those secondary assists without playing with Nurse, Drai and McDavid. Lasty, and im sure we can all agree here, is he put up all his number this year playing in the worst division in the history of hockey, amirite?

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Don’t be surprised if Anaheim scoops him up. I’ve always loved Barrie since the Avs days. One of my favorite players ever to watch in the current NHL. If Barrie wants 5-7 years. Anaheim should be interested.

Anaheim worst in the league regarding scoring and needs a RHD long term. And before HF Boards starts knocking his contract he’s gonna get. Anaheim has 50 million to spend next year. With only 30 million in current cap.

Barrie is going to be fricken INSANE! With Zegras, Comtois, and Berniers should be ready by then.

Don’t sleep on Anaheim HF. This franchise has a lot of money to spend coming soon!!!!

Barrie's age doesn't really line up with Anaheim's contention window. Philadelphia, Dallas, or Carolina (in the off chance that Dougie leaves), however, makes lots of sense.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Barrie's age doesn't really line up with Anaheim's contention window. Philadelphia, however, makes lots of sense.

Were going to make moves. Anaheim has 50 million in cap space next year. What are we suppose to do with all this cap? Just sit on it and suck for years on end? I don’t even think 30 million hits the cap floor that’s currently on our payroll for 2022 off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad