Dreger: Tyson Barrie will test free agency

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Good for him

would love to resign him on the oilers, but not at the huge price he’s probably asking.

he’s everything as advertised

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
They don't wanna overpay Barrie, but they'll extend and overpay dime a dozen Adam Larsson who can be replaced with someone much cheaper.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Hypocrisy? Relax a few notch will you

Roy got booed one game. That is certainly not why he asked to be traded.

Don't act like fan bases don't turn on players once they change teams, opinions change pretty fast. Remember how you felt about Nurse at the end of your short bubble adventure last year versus how you feel about him now
If and when our fan base slags Barrie, criticize those posters as you will. Until it happens you are in a glass house stirring up trouble. You started this, not me, so I’m pretty relaxed.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
If he wants money, he will find it I'm sure. He had a good enough season that he'll get offers at 5+ million per year.

But if he wants to win games and play a big role, then he'd be better to stay in Edmonton. The fit is just so good. With any any other team there's a chance it goes south quickly, like in Toronto. Imagine the mess that would have been if he had been on a long term contract with Toronto.

I hope he sticks in Edmonton, for his sake. But we'll see. It's hard to say no to money.

Reactions: TheNumber4

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Weird how he excelled in EDM with Drai and McD, but not in TOR with their Big 3.

He wasn't glued to our top line the way he is in Edmonton. Babcock misused him but he also isn't the greatest producer on his own. His numbers are more reflective of how dominant McDavid has been. He turned Maroon into a god damn 30 goal scorer lol. I forgot the exact number but it was about 16 minutes a game roughly, that Barrie plays with McDavid. He has been better but the McDavid factor is a real thing.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Weird how he excelled in EDM with Drai and McD, but not in TOR with their Big 3.

I honestly think it was the coach. It makes a big difference when your coach works with your game rather and tries to leverage the strength of your skills rather than trying to completely change it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If he does not sign in Edmonton, watch Oilers fan argue to death that he is not that good and that his great season is principally due to McDrai
If your team is paying him this season thinking that this isn't the case, they probably need to for their their professional scouts.

Of course the McDavid factor pumped his production. It's hard to produce with McDavid though. Barrie did it consistently.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

He was better offensively after Keefe came in.
He’s the kinds guy that could put up 50 points and you still don’t want though. He’s atrocious defensively and usually in the wrong position

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
We all knew this was the plan. It was a brilliant move to take a small 1 year contract to play with McDavid and Draisaitl to raise his value. Now that the plan has succeeded you know he's going to be looking to capitalize on that investment.

You would think most GMs would look at the fact he was playing with the 2 best players in the league and take that into account on any contract offer.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
It'll be one of those deals you regret right away probably. He wont be racking up all those secondary assists without playing with Nurse, Drai and McDavid. Lasty, and im sure we can all agree here, is he put up all his number this year playing in the worst division in the history of hockey, amirite?

Fake news.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
He will. If he was looking for less money pretty sure Edmonton would re-sign him.
Seattle will easily pay him good coin.

If he is only interested in the biggest $ Seattle would be my bet. If they are trying to be competitive right away as opposed to getting young and looking ahead 3 or 4 years

Reactions: thadd

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
People here are lying to themselves. You can tell people are itching to call his next contract an anchor but he is a damn good player and he has been for half a decade, long before he was playing with Draisaitl and McDavid. Toronto mishandled him, but he was good there once Keefe got behind the helm. And he had 2 over 60 points pace seasons with the Avs right before he was traded.

The Oilers never had a defensemen get over 41 points in the McDrai era but Barrie is pacing for 72 points- those are prime Karlsson/Burns/Hedman numbers. Obviously they're better defensively but his offense is undeniably elite. So its not all just leeching, he contributes a lot himself. McDavid and Draisaitl both are having monster season and having a puck mover like Barrie is a big reason for that.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
If he is only interested in the biggest $ Seattle would be my bet. If they are trying to be competitive right away as opposed to getting young and looking ahead 3 or 4 years

Yeah, Seattle will def be on board this summer and will be willing to spend, spend, spend. He's about to get a huge pay increase if they go after him. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad