Dreger: Tyson Barrie will test free agency

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
That's a bad contract waiting to happen. His situation impacts him more than he impacts his situation. 3.75 was fair value, anything over that your paying him for happening to be the guy that passed to 29/97. Only had 5 points that didn't involve McDrai and 27/48 points we're secondary assists. He drops from 1st to I believe tied for 14th in dmen scoring when you only look at primary points. Plus, McDrai finished 1-2 in scoring last season too, so it's not like this is a reciprocal relationship.

Good for him though, this rebound will net him millions.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Barrie is a fantastic complimentary guy. The Oilers have had other guys play with McDavid and none of them were able to come close to what Barrie did with them. Though if youre looking for him to create on his own, that's not what hes about.

My guess is that he looks at what is out there and if no one is offering a lucrative contract he signs here with the Oilers. Hes just a fit here and I dont see another team willing to offer him the contract he wants.

I think the Oilers can afford to give him a 4 year contract at 5-5.5M per and still get good value out of that contract. I could see another team offering 6 but not more then that.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't really see him breaking the bank this summer. I can see him getting a 4-5 year deal at $5-5.5M/year.

pbatx

Feb 26, 2015
Austin, TX
Will be a disastrous contract before the ink is even dry.

Flyers, Rangers, Hawks, and Stars. I think it'll be one of those four.

Stars pass easily, we will sign Miro to a Big one or a Bridge deal, and Oleksiak most likely. But yes, someone will cut a big check and regret it if the term is ridiculous.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How so? There’s franchises who can’t even reach the cap floor. Don’t you remember the coyotes just a few years ago? Now you got Seattle, and Anaheim, and a few others with huge huge money coming off the books or just starting to get anything on the payroll.

I 100% disagree with this statement. Barrie has earned the contract he desires which is always negotiable on the other side to find a fair deal. Not many RHD are walking with 48 points in 55 games. And his past numbers are really good also before Covid

Well, before a team opens up the cheque book for Barrie they should ask themselves if they have a Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl to play with Barrie so he can pile on the points. If not his success in Edmonton might not necessarily translate in Anaheim or Seattle.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I like Barrie but I don't think he is a need going forward for the Oilers and want the cap dollars spend elsewhere. I am happy for what he did this season but never had an interest in him coming back. Nurse can run the powerplay and I feel Bouchard will be ready next season to make the third pairing and should add a lot of the puck moving the Oilers will lose in Barrie with not much of a downgrade defensively, if any.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Everyone says big pay day but I dissagree. Who can sign him? I see very few competitive teams that need a player of Barrie’s skill set. Boston, Arizona, Calgary and Seattle are the only ones that come to mind. Doubt Arizona or Boston pay up. I think he heads to Seattle maybe Calgary takes a shot on him as all there young defenceman don’t have his offensive ability.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'd take him for one or two years on the Habs.
Puck moving d-man, we have only two of them: Petry (<3 ) and Romanov. Having Barrie with either Weber or Chiarot would help a lot

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
My personal bet on the destination: Philadelphia. Dougie is probably off limits for any club except Carolina barring something unexpected, and a core croup of Provorov/Barrie/Sanheim/Myers/York/Zamula is a good group to build around for the medium-term.
If Philly loses Ghost I agree. 4.25 x 6 is my guess.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So whoever signs him will pay him for League Leading Production based on him playing with McDrai.... too bad that team won't have a McDrai though. This could end up being a horrid overpay.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Seems like a nice guy and I hope he gets as much money from another team as possible.

Wonder if the GM that will shell out that money will realize how he got those points this season though (probably not)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
So whoever signs him will pay him for League Leading Production based on him playing with McDrai.... too bad that team won't have a McDrai though. This could end up being a horrid overpay.

Carolina's top-6 core comes close to being as dangerous as a unit overall. If Dougie leaves in UFA (I strongly doubt this), that might be Barrie's best destination. I still think that Philly will be where Barrie goes.

Reactions: TheNumber4

AyyLmao

May 12, 2021
Edmonton
Bless his heart, the Oilers and Tyson Barrie used each other and both mutually benefitted. He can go off in the sunset with a fair market value contract now and the Oilers can continue on with Bouchard as he’s a year older now and was with the team learning from the best of the best.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I don't think he's getting a big contract, he should sign with Edmonton for a long term low aav deal and guarantee himself a few dollars.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Well, before a team opens up the cheque book for Barrie they should ask themselves if they have a Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl to play with Barrie so he can pile on the points. If not his success in Edmonton might not necessarily translate in Anaheim or Seattle.

So what I’m translating is Zegras is a scrub, and if Anaheim drafts Beniers he’s also a scrub. And Anaheims lines don’t ever in any sort of conversation can possibly translate a productive season like Barrie is doing now.

Okay then. That’s what I’m interpreting at the moment. When Anaheim has some good forwards in production. That can maximize his talent, as well his production. We are also hopefully resigning Comtois as well. Why does McDavid and Drai have to be the end all be all? Really?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
This is going to end badly for everyone

1. Whoever signs him will overpay him and get frustrated when he can't produce.
2. Barrie is going to get frustrated when the fans on his next team turn on him.
3. Oilers lose a good fit.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He will get paid and the team will regret it rather quickly. Not surprised at all hes going to free agency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad