Dreger: Tyson Barrie will test free agency

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Someone will give him a 7 year huge deal.. this will be his final huge long term deal of his career that takes him to 37 years old so you know he will get as much money as possible

And probavly will lose step already in year 3. Buyout candidate year 5. We all now of those long multi uears contacts when approaching rhe 30s.
Good for oilers stepping aside for longer deals

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

dem

Mar 17, 2002
If you want him on the Oilers at a decent number... your best shot would be going deep in the playoffs and showing he can win in Edmonton.

If the Oilers get bounced.. I think he's going to the highest bidder.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Happy for the player, always love seeing guys get their money, especially with the grueling lives and schedules. Obviously they have fun but there are a lot of sacrifices that people don't see.

I don't think itll necessarily be a good contract, but he has earned it.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
If he does not sign in Edmonton, watch Oilers fan argue to death that he is not that good and that his great season is principally due to McDrai

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
This was well known, He only picked a one year contract with the Oilers to help raise his stock and go for a big payday. This can very easily turn into a terrible contract for whoever signs him

Reactions: qqaz

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Don’t be surprised if Anaheim scoops him up. I’ve always loved Barrie since the Avs days. One of my favorite players ever to watch in the current NHL. If Barrie wants 5-7 years. Anaheim should be interested.

Anaheim worst in the league regarding scoring and needs a RHD long term. And before HF Boards starts knocking his contract he’s gonna get. Anaheim has 50 million to spend next year. With only 30 million in current cap.

Barrie is going to be fricken INSANE! With Zegras, Comtois, and Berniers should be ready by then.

Don’t sleep on Anaheim HF. This franchise has a lot of money to spend coming soon!!!! With 30 million to spend RIGHT now this summer! And 20 next summer

Barrie would only impede what Drysdale is there for. Doubt Anaheim is the team. They also have Shattenkirk.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
If he does not sign in Edmonton, watch Oilers fan argue to death that he is not that good and that his great season is principally due to McDrai
Poor take. Oilers fans were ecstatic to see a guy like Barrie sign here on the cheap to play with Mcdrai and rebuild his career with us. He’s had a really good season. Oilers know he will likely be offered a contract elsewhere that is more than we can afford, given other more obvious areas of weakness we need to spend on, and will wish him well wherever he goes. No hard feelings. We have our fingers crossed that Evan Bouchard can provide a lot of what Barrie brought.
This criticism is rich coming from a fan base that drove Patrick Roy out of town.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'll say 6x6 with Seattle. The numbers will certainly take a dip there, but he can still be their PP QB and play top pair minutes.

Wish him the best wherever he lands. His first month was a little frustrating to watch, but he found his groove once he was paired with Nurse.

One criticism - for a puck moving D man, he sure looks like he's skating in cement. I don't see his first step getting any better in his 30's.

Reactions: BudBundy

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Poor take. Oilers fans were ecstatic to see a guy like Barrie sign here on the cheap to play with Mcdrai and rebuild his career with us. He’s had a really good season. Oilers know he will likely be offered a contract elsewhere that is more than we can afford, given other more obvious areas of weakness we need to spend on, and will wish him well wherever he goes. No hard feelings. We have our fingers crossed that Evan Bouchard can provide a lot of what Barrie brought.
This criticism is rich coming from a fan base that drove Patrick Roy out of town.

Oh boy, you are 26 year late here my friend. And yeah as if it was the fan base that drove him out and not the inept management team at that time.

I guess it is also the fan base that traded Gretzky and that managed to do very little with 4 first overall picks ?

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Most Oiler fans are pretty realistic about Barrie's situation. He has been very good but the expectation is that they will resign Larsson who has also had an excellent season. Larsson adds a dimension to teh defense that no one else does. With Larsson resigned there is only room for two more RHD and that means one of Barrie, Bear or Bouchard sits or is gone. Bear has a slow start but has played much better lately. He is cheap at $2M. But the real chice seems to be Barrie or Bouchard. Of course Barrie is more proven. But Bouchard could probably replace Barrie on the pp at $860K leaving $4.5-5M to spend elsewhere.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Oh boy, you are 26 year late here my friend. And yeah as if it was the fan base that drove him out and not the inept management team at that time.

I guess it is also the fan base that traded Gretzky and that managed to do very little with 4 first overall picks ?
It wasn’t management booing him mercilessly on the ice. I have a long memory, and Montreal is notorious for fans being hard on players and even harder on ex players. Deny it if you wish. Since you chose to criticize our fan base regarding fictional criticism of Barrie, you should expect your hypocrisy to be pointed out.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I’ll say it even if he does sign in Edmonton. His points are because he played with great players that he compliments well. I’d like to keep him, but other teams know they don’t have a 28% power play to rack up them points

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Of course he'll test free agency. Guy wasn't stupid. Sign a one year on a ridiculously offensive team and blow your stats up for a big payday.

Question is, which team is dumb enough to think he'll produce the same way with them that he did with MacKinnon/Rantanen, Matthews/Marner, or McDavid/Draisaitl.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Everyone knew what he was doing, and everyone knows the numbers are inflated from where he was. I’m not sure why he’s going to get a huge score, he’s basically what we all already knew he was. It’s not like he’s a different player now. Maybe the teams that couldn’t afford to fit him last year will be able to now?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I HOPE he gets a massive payday because then that means more players will sign on the Oilers for cheap on 1-year deals and play extremely well - looking for their own paydays :)

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I HOPE he gets a massive payday because then that means more players will sign on the Oilers for cheap on 1-year deals and play extremely well - looking for their own paydays :)
Sounds like something you don't want. You want your organization to have a welcoming culture where players want to stay. You don't want to be known as a one and done organization to improve and go play for someone else

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This is his retirement contract. I'd like Barrie back but players have such a short span to make big money that he needs to take the deal that's best for him.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not a shock he's going to free agency.

Bouchard is too good to be sitting in the pressbox, and that sort of makes Barrie redundant.
The only way Oilers take Barrie back is if he signs to a similar deal of $4m AAV for a 1-2 year term.

Obviously there's a gap between Barrie and Bouchard right now, but we're hoping Bouch can bring a lot of what Barrie brings, but shore up the defense.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
It wasn’t management booing him mercilessly on the ice. I have a long memory, and Montreal is notorious for fans being hard on players and even harder on ex players. Deny it if you wish. Since you chose to criticize our fan base regarding fictional criticism of Barrie, you should expect your hypocrisy to be pointed out.

Hypocrisy? Relax a few notch will you

Roy got booed one game. That is certainly not why he asked to be traded.

Don't act like fan bases don't turn on players once they change teams, opinions change pretty fast. Remember how you felt about Nurse at the end of your short bubble adventure last year versus how you feel about him now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad