Dreger: Tyson Barrie will test free agency

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Were going to make moves. Anaheim has 50 million in cap space next year. What are we suppose to do with all this cap? Just sit on it and suck for years on end? I don’t even think 30 million hits the cap floor that’s currently on our payroll for 2022 off season.

No, I don't think that you guys will sit on it. What I do see, however, is using that space for cap dumps/high draft pick packages like Lucic, Neal, Eriksson, etc., much like what the Canes did with Marleau last year and what Yzerman did with Marc Staal.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
No, I don't think that you guys will sit on it. What I do see, however, is using that space for cap dumps/high draft pick packages like Lucic, Neal, Eriksson, etc., much like what the Canes did with Marleau last year and what Yzerman did with Marc Staal.

Youre going to piss off the Ducks fan base with that one. We’re already mad that we’re 2nd to last in the league. And for the fourth straight season one of the worst scoring teams. Why are you saying our team is cap dump material? Just rude bro

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
I'm not really sure I see him getting a huge payday
I've been saying this, its a flat cap and despite having a bad year with the leafs, he had a long enough track record for teams to know what he had to offer, yet he didnt get a big deal. Now that the flat cap is here for a while, his numbers could be viewed as inflated and hes another year older, i dont see it changing much.

Last edited:

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
This is going to be a contract that one team will regret for a long time if it’s a big one

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I've been saying this, its a flat cap and despite having a bad year with the leafs, he had a long enough track record for teams to know what he had to offer and didnt get a big deal. Now that the flat cap is here for a while, his numbers could be viewed as inflated and hes another year older, i dont see it changing much.

They're definitely inflated. He joined the team that already had the best PP in the league (they even had a worse % this year compared to last) and basically half of his pts are on the PP and half of those are 2nd assists (23 pts with 11 2nd assists). At 5v5 he has 22 pts with 13 of those being 2nd assists. Judging players based primarily on pts is dumb to begin with and it's even dumber for Dmen.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Don’t be surprised if Anaheim scoops him up. I’ve always loved Barrie since the Avs days. One of my favorite players ever to watch in the current NHL. If Barrie wants 5-7 years. Anaheim should be interested.

Anaheim worst in the league regarding scoring and needs a RHD long term. And before HF Boards starts knocking his contract he’s gonna get. Anaheim has 50 million to spend next year. With only 30 million in current cap.

Barrie is going to be fricken INSANE! With Zegras, Comtois, and Berniers should be ready by then.

Don’t sleep on Anaheim HF. This franchise has a lot of money to spend coming soon!!!! With 30 million to spend RIGHT now this summer! And 20 next summer
Good f***ing god no

Ogi1Kenobi

Dec 25, 2008
He is extremely close with Jamie Benn off ice.. so maybe
I'm predicting he ends up with Dallas because of the Jamie Benn connection.

I doubt he gets a massive contract though. Stars have to re-sign Heiskanen, but signing Barrie long-term is a good backup plan if Klingberg leaves for free agency the following summer. Barrie is also a right-handed D-man, which Dallas lacks, and will have Hintz, Robertson, Gurianov, Seguin, Benn, Pavelski and Radulov as offensive weapons. It makes too much sense, but the contact has to be right.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Barrie’s next contract will be some unlucky franchises iceberg for sure.

How so? There’s franchises who can’t even reach the cap floor. Don’t you remember the coyotes just a few years ago? Now you got Seattle, and Anaheim, and a few others with huge huge money coming off the books or just starting to get anything on the payroll.

I 100% disagree with this statement. Barrie has earned the contract he desires which is always negotiable on the other side to find a fair deal. Not many RHD are walking with 48 points in 55 games. And his past numbers are really good also before Covid

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Good f***ing god no

Explain why? Did you read the context of the message? You have 50 million in cap space after next season. Are you trying to sign Kovalchuk long term with a huge contract? Or is Anaheim willing to take on Price from Montreal. You can’t even be in the league at 30 million payroll.

Im obviously being sarcastic. But you should of had suggestions regarding what you’re gonna do with that money

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Will be a disastrous contract before the ink is even dry.

Flyers, Rangers, Hawks, and Stars. I think it'll be one of those four.

lol, how could you be so wrong

Rangers have Adam Fox to worry about paying and already have a boat anchor contract on RHD in Trouba. Not to mention some promising RHD in the pipeline like Lundkvist and Schneider.

No chance.

Reactions: Ciao

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Explain why? Did you read the context of the message? You have 50 million in cap space after next season. Are you trying to sign Kovalchuk long term with a huge contract? Or is Anaheim willing to take on Price from Montreal. You can’t even be in the league at 30 million payroll.

Im obviously being sarcastic. But you should of had suggestions regarding what you’re gonna do with that money
There is absolutely no reason to splurge on a RHD looking to get paid when we already have Manson, Drysdale who is near a top 4 spot, and money being paid to Shattenkirk. Our cap needs to go to offense if we’re spending it to improve the team, and if not then we need to use it to get futures for helping teams out of their cap crunches. Only defenseman I’d make an exception for is Hamilton

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Perfect candidate for one of those too much for too long contracts. Will be interesting if GMs developed a brain (or more than 1-2 year vision) during Covid.

Reactions: Menzinger

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
They're definitely inflated. He joined the team that already had the best PP in the league (they even had a worse % this year compared to last) and basically half of his pts are on the PP and half of those are 2nd assists (23 pts with 11 2nd assists). At 5v5 he has 22 pts with 13 of those being 2nd assists. Judging players based primarily on pts is dumb to begin with and it's even dumber for Dmen.

I really like Barrie and would like to sign him to a team friendly deal but with that said Klefbom was a better fit on the PP and better defensively too. ES transition sways in Barrie’s favor.

In short, Barrie was a great one year stop-gap until we know what happens with Klefbom.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't think he's going to get anywhere close to the contract he wants, but should get a decent one. I think teams will be wary on term with him though.

But it makes sense to test the market. If he doesn't get offers he wants he can always sign in Edmonton again

Reactions: wetcoast

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
There is absolutely no reason to splurge on a RHD looking to get paid when we already have Manson, Drysdale who is near a top 4 spot, and money being paid to Shattenkirk. Our cap needs to go to offense if we’re spending it to improve the team, and if not then we need to use it to get futures for helping teams out of their cap crunches. Only defenseman I’d make an exception for is Hamilton

Drysdale is just starting an ELC and is dirt cheap. His cap doesn’t affect Anaheim until he’s ready to be resigned in 3 years. Manson can’t hold a candle to the offensive abilities or even defensive abilities with Barrie, and may even be traded this off season.

And even with Shattenkirk signed its 4.2 million until 23’-24’. So that’s even more money off the books the next season after.

And there’s still 50 million being available in 22 off season which I don’t understand where you’re wanting to spend it at. No specific players were mentioned is what I’m asking politely for a response on.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad