Tyson Barrie Discussion

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Barrie can do EXACTLY as much to the leefs as EK65 did for the sharks.

You first need a real defensive d to pair up with a guy like that, otherwise the results will be horrendous.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It looks like Babcock never wanted him the same way he didn't asked for Muzzin last year...glad he's gone.
Muzzin looked more engaged offensively as well last night. Shocking how different this team can be based on one game. A lot was adrenaline, a lot was just doing the little things with more commitment, but you could see them swarming, rotating d in deep... there was definitely a strategy/philosophy change there. Probably helpful that a lot of these guys played with Keefe before, but they are pros and experienced/skilled enough to adapt quickly.

I hope the D continue what they did last night. It will take tons of skating and effort, but better that than chasing the puck in your own end all night.

Reactions: hobarth

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

As long as its someone who understands that Barrie wants a 9M+ contract and has to concentrate on offense to get that.

Even if you are a stereotypical canadian alphamale, like he obviously is, getting a 5-10g defensive role season would drop his value instantly to 6-7M... Plus it isn't even clear if he CAN play a defensive role like that, since his career has lots of negative seasons. I have no idea who he should pair up with, since I dont know the D. Maybe Holl or Dermott since they have high plusminus without producing much anything. Ceci could also be good since he's decent plusminus and personally knows the EK65 & Marc Methot combo that really dominated the league. It's just someone has to actually do the dirty work.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
As long as its someone who understands that Barrie wants a 9M+ contract and has to concentrate on offense to get that.

Even if you are a stereotypical canadian alphamale, like he obviously is, getting a 5-10g defensive role season would drop his value instantly to 6-7M... Plus it isn't even clear if he CAN play a defensive role like that, since his career has lots of negative seasons. I have no idea who he should pair up with, since I dont know the D. Maybe Holl or Dermott since they have high plusminus without producing much anything. Ceci could also be good since he's decent plusminus and personally knows the EK65 & Marc Methot combo that really dominated the league. It's just someone has to actually do the dirty work.

I think Babs wanted all the d-men to do the dirty work, what I never understood is why the dirty work wasn't being done in the O zone or in the neutral zone? TO's d constantly collapsed rather than aggressively closed on puck carriers, stay at home big physical but slow d-men like Polak/Hainsey can play against most opposition's 3rd/4th lines but top 4 d-men should be able to hound the puck in all 3 zones and support the offense.

All of TO's d is mobile but I never felt Babs properly utilized that mobility.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Seems to be happier now. Will monitor the fit as the season goes. He still could get traded.

IF the leafs wanted to extend him. Then heck the first 20 games lowered
His price

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Well, there was only one Leafs home opener and one chance for Spezza to skate out in front of his home crowd and family and friends
Well, there was only one Leafs home opener and one chance for Spezza to skate out in front of his home crowd and family and friends
That was disgraceful to be honest. It was embarrassing to have a coach like that. Good riddance!

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Great period! I’m not a fan of gifting PP time but I think a fresh start with a new coach was the best play and it’s paying off, so good job Keefe and Barrie! Keep it up buddy

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
So... just to reiterate... Barrie isn't useless after all??

**** me did I ever get lambasted when I tried putting any blame on the coach about Barrie's play :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OK OK you were were right.....naw shaddap about it. no one likes a sore winner!

:D

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
So... just to reiterate... Barrie isn't useless after all??

**** me did I ever get lambasted when I tried putting any blame on the coach about Barrie's play :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I really hate to see players get run out of town just because fans and the media have zero patience. lol some fans were going wild calling Barrie a 'useless bottom-pairing softie'. Hate to see it.

Thank god for Dubas and Shanny. Our roster has improved a lot, and Barrie is one of those major acquisitions. He's going to show everyone exactly what the hype was about.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'm far from right dude, I could be woefully wrong when all's said and done.

It just annoys me to no end how quickly this fanbase is ready to write off defensemen, ESPECIALLY the ones in the Barrie/Gardiner mold.

Barrie literally had the worst stats of any top 4 in the league.

I couldn't figure it out

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
this could be the biggest turnaround in Leafs history since Ed Belfour who was initially booed by Leaf fans for his first bunch of games and then serenaded with EDDIE chants every game.

we look like a playoff contender now that the players are being used properly in their proper roles..

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
GdRt52D.gif

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Interesting ice time distribution, Barrie just under 16 minutes, fifth for D. Ceci lead all d men with 27.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Interesting ice time distribution, Barrie just under 16 minutes, fifth for D. Ceci lead all d men with 27.

Largely depends on the makeup of the opponent and how the game goes. If there is a lot of call for bringing out a D minded D, Ceci gets the call. If there is a lot of offensive opportunities and PP, then Barrie gets the call.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'm far from right dude, I could be woefully wrong when all's said and done.

It just annoys me to no end how quickly this fanbase is ready to write off defensemen, ESPECIALLY the ones in the Barrie/Gardiner mold.

Also, I defended Gards as much as anyone around here. He always had decent numbers.

At his very worst, he never put numbers as bad as Barrie. Up until Keefe came in, Barrie was the equivalent of Matthews being healthy the whole year and scoring 5 goals. I think Barrie's confidence was crushed to the point of uselessness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad