Tyson Barrie Discussion

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Needs a fresh start and we need a D that can PK...geter done Dubas.

Just need to get Rielly off the PK. Hes like PK kryptonite.

All other pairing combinations have been good-excellent. I dont know why but it is what it is.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Just need to get Rielly off the PK. Hes like PK kryptonite.

All other pairing combinations have been good-excellent. I dont know why but it is what it is.
Rielly is not big enough, the reach not long enough, not enough muscle to shove people out of the way. He did not fight and battle in front of the net like Zaitsev did. In short, Rielly in his own zone is just a very average defender.

If Rielly is hurt, like he appears to be now, then he loses that quickness, from a standing position he does not have that initial step to close in on the forward, thereby giving too much room in the slot.

Ceci is the same, first step is too slow, and don't fight like Zaitsev did. At least Ceci is a big body, but if they skate around him then he's helpless again.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
i feel sorry for the guy
noone in their right mind thought that one of the best offensive dman in the League is gonna look like an ECHLer on a new team
Babcock/the"system" is ruining him
we have no system and our coaching staff never ever helped a player with confidence issues
we have a track record of having the players "figuring out by themselves"
at this point i really dunno why we have a coaching staff

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I thought Barrie was going to be great here. I have no idea what’s happened to him, but like the entire rest of the team, he seems frozen in the headlights all too often.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
the fans who said he was the wrong type of defencemen for this team, regardless how nice his stats, were right. Like really really right. I wasn't one of those fans but they deserve a bit of credit for appreciating how important it is to find players who compliment each other and/or shore up any weaknesses.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
And his next ~20 game segment as a Leafs begins. If he doesn’t drastically improve we’re looking at a measly return, and he will be traded unless he blows the doors off this *****.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
the fans who said he was the wrong type of defencemen for this team, regardless how nice his stats, were right. Like really really right. I wasn't one of those fans but they deserve a bit of credit for appreciating how important it is to find players who compliment each other and/or shore up any weaknesses.

Travis Hamonic. Trust me guys, I’m a Flames fan 2nd, and this is the guy we need battling for us.

I even think Calgary would welcome the swap, they’re doing just as poorly as us at the moment and need to make some kind of move.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What are thoughts on the Kadri-Barrie trade? I was sad to see Kadri leave the leafs

Kadri trade isn't really finished yet depending on what he and Kerfoot do by the end of the season and of course whether Keefe can get him back on his game or Dubas gets him on another team. I thought he was not a fit for this basket of kittens, but if he had great offense it could still work out. Keefe is a reset so maybe there is hope. We dont care about the first 20 games, just the next 60. Even if it was Barrie and not Babcock that was the problem with him he will be in a different place and that can't hurt.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Mirtle: What should the Maple Leafs do with Tyson Barrie as...
In many situations like this one, the right call would be to trade the player and give up on a move that made sense on paper but didn’t function in practice. The tough part with that is his poor play and his tiny salary ($2.75 million) will make it exceptionally hard to get much in return that makes sense for Toronto.

Maybe they can deal for a defenceman like Colin Miller, who seems to have fallen out of favour in Buffalo? Maybe there’s a move where the other team retains salary, in order to get the contracts to match? The Leafs did show interest in T.J. Brodie in the offseason, and the Flames are off to a similarly poor start.

It’s a tough situation, though, given how hard right defencemen are to come by in the best of circumstances. That top-four void the Leafs have had for years is one GM Kyle Dubas has tried to address with a home-run deal going back to when he first was promoted to the top hockey operations job. That the solution ultimately ended up being Barrie and Cody Ceci was a reflection of how difficult getting the right pieces can be when they’re so scarce.

If the Leafs can’t find a deal in the coming months, they might be stuck waiting for Barrie to turn things around, even as they continue to slide in the standings.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Time to give Barrie another shot with a new coach. If its still not working then look at the trade route

Mar 26, 2010
Ok Tyson, here is your chance to show us what you are made of! Lets go!

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Travis Hamonic. Trust me guys, I’m a Flames fan 2nd, and this is the guy we need battling for us.

I even think Calgary would welcome the swap, they’re doing just as poorly as us at the moment and need to make some kind of move.
We would also want and need milan lucic. That biggest thug of them all who hits everythang. He would make our team explode and make other teams scared. We ain't have that, yet. Calgary would also keep some of his salary. Hamonic and Lucic for Barrie could be done and in the talks. Phones are calling.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I have no idea what you guys we’re watching.
His shot was a complete muffin, it actually looked like Marner’s in year one.
He was taking risks all over the place. He didn’t get burned tonight but I guarantee you a more aggressive team will take advantage of those and I’m worried.
His skating and poise under pressure seemed to be alright though and that’s big.

No chance I’m paying 8x8 though. No chance.

You're not paying 8 mil, the leafs are and you're as wrong as wrong can be about this post. First cringe take of the year boys!!!

Everything I just read was wrong. That's impressive.

Haha what? Barrie is one of the better skaters and puck moving D in the league. And the kind of player he is, he has to be making high risk plays at times, it's why he's paired with a really good dman in Muzzin. He also has a good shot. In fact your entire post is pretty much just wrong, so congrats.

Bump from game 1. Thanks for the Lulz

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Time to give Barrie another shot with a new coach. If its still not working then look at the trade route

I think people don't realize how hard it is to produce points as a defenseman, especially without the comfort level and confidence in knowing what your teammates are going to do and vice versa.

Know how many points Dougie Hamilton had in his first 38 (dec 31st) games with the Canes last year? 10. Look at what he's done since.

If they want Barrie to get it going you put him on the #1 PP and stick with it until they figure each other out. There's no other way to do it. And when the team starts playing better that will affect his confidence as well, and the good stuff will follow.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
From the depthcharts on twitter today, looks like Keefes plan is to limit that 5v5 play dropping him down to the third pairing and sticking him on that 1st pp unit.

Why did it take this long to figure that out?

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I was the first to string him up, so I’ll be the first to say he’s looked like a completely different player in this period so far!! I’m so glad and can’t wait to see what he’s got!! GO LEAFS GO!!!

Reactions: LeafGrief

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
To Tyson Barrie’s first goal as a Leaf

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->