Tyson Barrie Discussion

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You all need to chill. This guy is getting used to a new team, new partner and new system. Give him some time and he will turn it around.

You guys all sound like the haters that rode Larry Murphy out of town!!!! All he did was become a key component to a cup winning team in Detroit and solid contributor after he left the Leafs.

Just chill a bit. I will bet you all will love the guy come January.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
How come all under-performing player issues are always someone else's fault never the players accountability for their own actions, and most often blamed on the coach?

images

I know what your saying. I’m not saying double shift him. You pointed out earlier how much less points he is in pace for in comparison to last year. Barrie has been a #1 Pp guy his entire career (or most of it). Suddenly he isn’t, he gets the final 45 seconds with the 2nd group.

... some players need to get the monkey off their back. It’s important for players to get a good start with new clubs and new conferences. I’m not saying babs should be double shifting him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am not impressed with Barrie at all! Not even a little bit. Way overrated, the Leafs got hosed trading Kadri for him.

I will bet that Barrie will re-sign with Colorado on July 1 2020.
Because that's how he looks on ice now with Leafs system. But what if I told you I could turn him back into a 50 point guy per really really quickly. This is a coaching decision. Barrie did not fall off the face of hockey over summer. In fact I saw him skate at Ford before team skates and he was right up there with Kappy and Rielly at front of speed races. He still has his speed. So why it is he does not use it anymore in games???????????????????????????? Think about that one.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Because that's how he looks on ice now with Leafs system. But what if I told you I could turn him back into a 50 point guy per really really quickly. This is a coaching decision. Barrie did not fall off the face of hockey over summer. In fact I saw him skate at Ford before team skates and he was right up there with Kappy and Rielly at front of speed races. He still has his speed. So why it is he does not use it anymore in games???????????????????????????? Think about that one.

Zaitsev, offensive D man, asked to be Defensive D man.... looked terrible.

Barrie, offensive D man, seemingly asked to be more Defensive.... looked terrible.

Square pegs, round holes, or something like that?

Maybe gets some square pegs, for the square holes next time?

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
You all need to chill. This guy is getting used to a new team, new partner and new system. Give him some time and he will turn it around.

You guys all sound like the haters that rode Larry Murphy out of town!!!! All he did was become a key component to a cup winning team in Detroit and solid contributor after he left the Leafs.

The Larry Murphy analogy is awkward here because Murphy was actually pretty good with us but got turned on by the media and fans as an undeserving scapegoat.

Barrie has just been plain bad.

I'll give him some more time though.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Mar 26, 2010
Babcock is the issue?
If that is what you are saying, I fully agree that he has completely neutered this team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Babcock is the issue?
If that is what you are saying, I fully agree that he has completely neutered this team.

The issue is something is broken.

Barrie isn't playing to his potential.

Coach won't adapt his system, or game plan, to suit the players he has... as I've said above, Round pegs in Square holes.

GM won't obtain Square pegs, for Square holes, when Coach won't adapt.

... So the options are.... trade the Round Peg for a Square Peg... GM adapts to coach, gets the right players.

Find a coach who can... **Gasp** "Adapt".

Reactions: hector morrison

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think moving Barrie might be in the best interest of the team, and the player. But, to get value, he needs to be extended too.... I like this Barrie for Manson idea, though Anaheim would hate it, if he isn't signed. Three way negotiation to get extension, and move him for a Square peg.... expand the deal to obtain Ritchie too... maybe even Comtois....

Mar 26, 2010
The issue is something is broken.

Barrie isn't playing to his potential.

Coach won't adapt his system, or game plan, to suit the players he has... as I've said above, Round pegs in Square holes.

GM won't obtain Square pegs, for Square holes, when Coach won't adapt.

... So the options are.... trade the Round Peg for a Square Peg... GM adapts to coach, gets the right players.

Find a coach who can... **Gasp** "Adapt".
Well put.

Perhaps I am being too hard on Barrie, as he is being set up to fail with Babcock’s obsolete 1990’s style system.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm sure that it's been covered somewhere in this thread, but Kadri for Kerfoot straight up is looking like a pretty fair swap at this point, and if you're picking one of those guys for your team to try to win a cup over the next 4-6 years it's probably Kerfoot - younger, less expensive, turning out to be an excellent possession player, doesn't give up much ground to Kadri offensively while making up quite a bit defensively, doesn't lose his temper and get suspended when you need him on the ice.

I'm also not over the moon with the Barrie component of the trade, but in terms of asset management this is still a very lopsided trade in our favour. If by Christmas Barrie hasn't found his groove here yet (despite being a very passable top 4 dman to this point) then maybe it's time to try to parlay him into something that fits the need better rather than losing him at the end of the year. Maybe there's a team out there with enough cap space to sign him and that has a RHD to trade us in return that is more of the "shut down" type who we could afford long term. I do think that Barrie will be viewed as a relatively premium offensive dman even if he isn't producing in our system on the trade market

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Same thing with Kessel. The Leafs try to make complimentary players into franchise cornerstones and then get shocked when it doesn't work out.

The issue is obviously not Leaf fans. It is a consistent failing of management. They expect players to be something that they aren't, then when things predictably don't work, they blame the fans.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The problem with Barrie is his play style is redundant on this team, in fact it cuts against how this team is built

He shoots a ton, that's great if your forward group is built to crash the net and guys like to park themselves in front of the net and cause chaos, very few of our guys play like that and I doubt they are going to change now

He's a good PP QB but is he better that Rielly? I'd say no he's not so that also hurts a lot of his value to the team

He's very very questionable defensively, how many guys can you carry that are extremely one dimensional before it completely screws with the teams makeup and how you can deploy your defensive pairs?

What we needed was a defensively solid, pass first, 2nd unit PP QB and Barrie is pretty much the opposite of that

I'd cut my loses and look to move him for another pending UFA defenseman that better suits the team, easier said than done however

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Can someone call the Avs and ask them to send the missing piece? I don't think the whole thing arrived on the plane to Toronto in that trade.
There is a reason he wasn't re-signed and traded instead. He's a good player but best used as an offensive force and kept sheltered defensively. The need was a defensive RHD which is still a need. They should cut their losses and try to find a trade partner before he loses any value he has left. Unless they plan to utilize him correctly.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
What a disappointment he’s been. Beforehand I said I’d re-sign Barrie over Muzzin due to the former being a right-handed defenseman and that he was a top pairing level player.

Now it’s not even close. Muzzin is the must keep as of now. Barrie has failed to impress and we’re a quarter of the way through the season. It boggles my mind that he’s struggling so hard while playing with Muzzin. On paper that pairing should be money, well half of it is at least.

Maybe he needs a new partner or perhaps he’ll look better once the team kicks Babcock to the curb. But as of now he’s played well below expectations.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's partially a victim of a terrible PDO. But, he was used very specifically when he had success in Colorado (atleast the last couple years), which is something we can't give him unless he's on the 3rd pairing, or we download all heavy usage to Rielly and Ceci, and that is also a disaster waiting to happen. The other option is to move Dermott to his off-side wih Rielly and give them that usage, but I'm not sure that would work much better either.

I get we were in a jam with getting a top 3 defender who is right-handed, but he fit the exact profile we didn't need. We needed someone in the Trouba mold (I know that wasn't possible). We essentially needed a Muzzin who was comfortable on the right-side and preferably a right-shot.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Not a high iq player, and needs heavily sheltered minutes to succeed. Not a surprise he hasn't fit in here.

Honestly would look to swap him for another pending ufa RD prior to the trade deadline. It isn't going to work here.

Reactions: Duffman955

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Not a high iq player, and needs heavily sheltered minutes to succeed. Not a surprise he hasn't fit in here.

Honestly would look to swap him for another pending ufa RD prior to the trade deadline. It isn't going to work here.
Not that I think Hamonic is available but Leafs should inquire about him for Barrie as a base. Considering Leafs are the one asking they might need to add but both are UFA's and Hamonic apparently isn't willing to sign til off season so could be a tryout for Flames and Barrie as well?

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Can we trade him guys? Or Dubas will never admit his failure in such a way? If we can what do you think we can fetch for him?!?

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Can we trade him guys? Or Dubas will never admit his failure in such a way? If we can what do you think we can fetch for him?!?

It think it would be a mixed response as to the potential trade partners. We need to find a partner who likes Barrie’s game and thinks they can utilize it. There’s probably a majority that think that way, so I don’t think his value is horrible. I don’t, however, think he’s worth a Travis Hamonic, for example.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
It think it would be a mixed response as to the potential trade partners. We need to find a partner who likes Barrie’s game and thinks they can utilize it. There’s probably a majority that think that way, so I don’t think his value is horrible. I don’t, however, think he’s worth a Travis Hamonic, for example.
My current take is that he can’t like it here and is going to leave for free in the summer. That is why I want for us to get something for him. :)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
My current take is that he can’t like it here and is going to leave for free in the summer. That is why I want for us to get something for him. :)

I’d gladly take his cap space at this point. It’s been a quarter of the season and he’s playing at bloody well near replacement level. Maybe someone will give us a 2nd.

Sandin is going to be there next year anyways, let’s let it ride.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Mar 26, 2010
How long before barrie aks for a trade this is a contract year for him if he stays it's going to cost him 20m staying here
Good, trade him. He is terrible.

He is 100% going to sign back with Colorado. I will put money on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad