Tyson Barrie Discussion

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Good, trade him. He is terrible.

He is 100% going to sign back with Colorado. I will put money on that.

That will be a pretty cheap price by the Avs for a gritty 2nd line centre with heart on a good contract. Why don't we get a GM who can get those deals instead of giving them away?

We also gave away a right D who is a PLUS player on a weak Ottawa team and to add to the Christmas present we sent a young defensively responsible guy on a good contract who is producing at almost a point a game for a weak Sens team.

I want a guy who can win a trade. If this guy deals Barrie it will be another failure so let someone else do it right.

Reactions: hullsy47

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Until Babs gives him a system which he can thrive in he will continue to suck. It appears Barrie is one of those guys who needs to play a certain free flowing team breakout approach where he has the green light all the time. The Avs were great for that. Under Babs it will never work out.

Mar 26, 2010
We dont need him here in Colorado.. We have Makar who is playing lights out as our #1 RHD and still have Johnson and Cole that play on the right side. With Byram / Girard on the Left side.. We have no need to for Barrie and his high price tag
He is terrible anyway. Barrie is not even a 2nd pairing D.

Toronto got HOSED on the deal moving a proven multiple 30 + goal scoring C in Kadri. Pathetic.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Barrie will score 10-15 goals this season, but not necessarily for this team.

The Druid says that Barrie will score his first goal tomorrow.

Wine is good,
Burp!

Reactions: Morgs

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Does Dubas love small players? First Petan, now Barrie and Kerfoot? Does he think these small players could out-skill bigger and grittier players and be able to grind them down with skill?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Does Dubas love small players? First Petan, now Barrie and Kerfoot? Does he think these small players could out-skill bigger and grittier players and be able to grind them down with skill?

Although it'd be dandy to have those bigger bodies on the 4th line, I'm most concerned about our 6'3" 220lbs giving no shit whatsoever about working hard and grinding down for those loose pucks.

Barrie has been terrible too along with the rest of our D-core which isn't physically disadvantaged in any regard seem to not be doing that either.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He is terrible anyway. Barrie is not even a 2nd pairing D.

Toronto got HOSED on the deal moving a proven multiple 30 + goal scoring C in Kadri. Pathetic.

Kerfoot has been worth it alone. He's been legitimately great (0ther than minor penalties) .

If Barrie can get his game back before playoffs we're laughing.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
He's partially a victim of a terrible PDO. But, he was used very specifically when he had success in Colorado (atleast the last couple years), which is something we can't give him unless he's on the 3rd pairing, or we download all heavy usage to Rielly and Ceci, and that is also a disaster waiting to happen. The other option is to move Dermott to his off-side wih Rielly and give them that usage, but I'm not sure that would work much better either.

I get we were in a jam with getting a top 3 defender who is right-handed, but he fit the exact profile we didn't need. We needed someone in the Trouba mold (I know that wasn't possible). We essentially needed a Muzzin who was comfortable on the right-side and preferably a right-shot.

Our problem with Barrie is quite a bit more sinister than that.

I think management/coaching saw Barries struggles quite early and Rielly/Ceci are already one of the top heavy use pairings in the league (and really excelling as of late) while Barrie has been flopping against 2nd pairing QoC pretty hard.

Hes been getting every opportunity to succeed and has been far less effective for the team against weaker usage than the Muzzin/Zaitsev combo was last year.

The PDO argument does have some relevance though as he has been really good at getting his shot on net this year and there been more than a few great saves, rebounds banged wide, etc. , making his point goals look a fair bit worse but his underlying stats are still so awful, there is no way you could say its merely luck here.

He needs to play his way out a this mess.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Is it true ? Is it true ?
I’ve been away for a bit ..
Is it true that we traded for this guy from Colorado and Kerfoot for Kadri

upload_2019-11-15_6-9-46.jpeg

Reactions: Koolboss

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Kerfoot has been worth it alone. He's been legitimately great (0ther than minor penalties) .

If Barrie can get his game back before playoffs we're laughing.
8 points for Kerfoot and 5 points for Barrie =13
Kadri = 14 points
Thats decent numbers for Kerfoot I guess

Reactions: Duffman955

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
8 points for Kerfoot and 5 points for Barrie =13
Kadri = 14 points
Thats decent numbers for Kerfoot I guess
They are ok numbers , but I honestly thought that Kerfoot would be more dynamic and consistent , especially these first 20 games with a new team and fresh start ...
I like him ,
But .....
Just saying ....

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Our problem with Barrie is quite a bit more sinister than that.

I think management/coaching saw Barries struggles quite early and Rielly/Ceci are already one of the top heavy use pairings in the league (and really excelling as of late) while Barrie has been flopping against 2nd pairing QoC pretty hard.

Hes been getting every opportunity to succeed and has been far less effective for the team against weaker usage than the Muzzin/Zaitsev combo was last year.

The PDO argument does have some relevance though as he has been really good at getting his shot on net this year and there been more than a few great saves, rebounds banged wide, etc. , making his point goals look a fair bit worse but his underlying stats are still so awful, there is no way you could say its merely luck here.

He needs to play his way out a this mess.
How? I really don't understand how anything is going to change? Completely different systems in Colorado and Toronto? and Barrie has not changed he can still skate like the wind. I watched him closely at Ford in the pre camp skates and he was right there with Rielly and Kappy. Those 3 are clearly the fastest straight line skaters on team. So again how does this change? How does team get him to use his main strength? I am really curious how this gets accomplished? Barrie is a high risk player. He looks good when he take the puck and goes.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
How? I really don't understand how anything is going to change? Completely different systems in Colorado and Toronto? and Barrie has not changed he can still skate like the wind. I watched him closely at Ford in the pre camp skates and he was right there with Rielly and Kappy. Those 3 are clearly the fastest straight line skaters on team. So again how does this change? How does team get him to use his main strength? I am really curious how this gets accomplished? Barrie is a high risk player. He looks good when he take the puck and goes.

It all comes down to better decision making on his part I think. Holding onto the puck a little longer to wait for traffic instead of giving the keeper an easy save on his actually very accurate shot.....not blowing the zone so quickly putting your partner in trouble so often...

I'm sure he knows he hasnt been good and is working with the staff to make adjustments.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It all comes down to better decision making on his part I think. Holding onto the puck a little longer to wait for traffic instead of giving the keeper an easy save on his actually very accurate shot.....not blowing the zone so quickly putting your partner in trouble so often...

I'm sure he knows he hasnt been good and is working with the staff to make adjustments.
He sucks at positioning, sucks on reads and sucks on defense in his own end. He always has sucked at those things. That is not going to change. Where he is a star is getting head of steam behind net and taking off through the team. and give and gos to net where he leads the charge. and Babs is not allowing his man skill to show through. This is a complete waste of an asset. A total and complete waste.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’ve come to the conclusion that Barrie sucks and there’s no way around it. His spacing is terrible. His reads on basic passes are brutal. The concept that things were different in Colorado makes no difference other than the fact that he was probably given free reign to do whatever he wanted there with complete disregard for defensive structure. Which is the last thing we need in a high priced RHD. Also, as a footnote, Colorado has been a tire fire defensively for many years with Barrie front and centre.

Reactions: IPS

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We dont need him here in Colorado.. We have Makar who is playing lights out as our #1 RHD and still have Johnson and Cole that play on the right side. With Byram / Girard on the Left side.. We have no need to for Barrie and his high price tag
Would you say you’re better defensively without him?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I’ve come to the conclusion that Barrie sucks and there’s no way around it. His spacing is terrible. His reads on basic passes are brutal. The concept that things were different in Colorado makes no difference other than the fact that he was probably given free reign to do whatever he wanted there with complete disregard for defensive structure. Which is the last thing we need in a high priced RHD. Also, as a footnote, Colorado has been a tire fire defensively for many years with Barrie front and centre.
Astute. His reads are brutal! At first I thought it was he didn’t get the system, then I realized he just isn’t processing fast enough at all. You’re not trying to pick on him, but he’s the new high end D so you watch intently...and I’ve been stunned how bad he looks in our end when he doesn’t have the puck, actually lost.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Astute. His reads are brutal! At first I thought it was he didn’t get the system, then I realized he just isn’t processing fast enough at all. You’re not trying to pick on him, but he’s the new high end D so you watch intently...and I’ve been stunned how bad he looks in our end when he doesn’t have the puck, actually lost.

He’s basically a flashy player more suited to bring some fireworks to a track meet as opposed to being a solid citizen on a well organized team. Jump up into the rush, take chances, let it rip from the point, etc. than stabilize a team from the back end. The Avs were a track meet team for years and with no expectations and little scrutiny I’m sure he could get away with a lot.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
GET THE **** OFF MY TEAM RIGHT NOW

No one mention the trade, it doesn’t matter anymore, get this guy away from this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad