Tyson Barrie Discussion

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
One of the most ridiculous theories posted here is that coaching staff are holding Barrie back.

1) He plays with the best overall D Muzzin who made his name supporting Doughty's freewheeling
2) he's playing 2nd pairing QOC and often against 2nd to 4th lines, lots of opportunities to jump into the play there
3) The scouting report had him joining the rush like Rielly. Its not even close! You can make a case that Dermott, Muzzin and even Holl & Ceci are more active in the o zone
4) I have not seen a good slapshot from him in too long!

Last nite he almost took our guys head off on the pp, the shot was as bad as the one he took too far out on the the 5 on 3 a couple games ago.

I haven't given up on him yet but I think this is >90% on him to this point. Perhaps he takes longer than most to adopt but he needs to get it going!

I guess there's a chance top pp mins could get him going. 'but so far he hasn't earned it over Rielly and I'd bet we'll see more turnover with him there full-time. The #1 pp is squeezing the stick too much already, not sure a shaky Barrie is the solution.

He was deemed expendable by Colorado because of a rookie - Makar. He's the one that had something to prove to earn 7m++. So far Sakic is looking like a genius!
It is sort of comical to see Dermott, Reilly, Muzzin all leading rushes up ice last night and then read how Barrie isn’t allowed to because of Babcock. I mean, it’s kind of Monty Python.

I will say this to be fair, thought that was one of his better games defensively last night, tidy, direct and positive plays. Good to see.

Last edited:

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
It is kind of comical to see Dermott, Reilly, Muzzin all leading rushes up ice last night and then read how Barrie isn’t allowed to because of Babcock. I mean, it’s kind of Monty Python.

I will say this to be fair, thought that was one of his better games defensively last night, tidy, direct and positive plays. Good to see.

I agree and I certainly don't think the sky is falling here. We've given up 4 goals in the last 3 games, not exactly a time to be sounding the sirens.

It is interesting that it was his weak point shot turn-over that led to their only 5x5 goal last nite. Having just re-watched that play a couple times, there's lots of blame to go around on that goal though!

We all want to see more high danger / slot opportunities on this team and that is what is slanting the poor xGF% of late. I want to see him jumping to the high slot and chasing into the play like Dermy did last nite.

Reactions: DarkKnight

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If he doesn't get his game straightened out by January, I would do Barrie for Brodie (with retention)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tyson Barrie .. 18 games 0-5-5 points and -5 are his stats this year.

This is the same player that last year put up 14 goals and 45 assists and 59 points.

He was seen as an upgrade to Jake Gardiner but his hasn't worked out that way so far.

Reactions: Koolboss

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
He was seen as an upgrade to Jake Gardiner but his hasn't worked out that way so far.

That’s the problem. It was almost a consensus on here that he would be “our best RHD in 10000 years”. Don’t be surprised that I’m lighting this guy on fire when you set expectations like that and “8x8, sign it now”.

As for an upgrade on Gardiner, wow, how wrong were we? Rhetorical. Very. God I miss Gards right now.

Reactions: mulefarm

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
If you don’t think Sandin can do what Barrie is doing (lol) I don’t know what to tell you. We should dump this guy and run a full roster or upgrade our backup position immediately.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Tyson Barrie .. 18 games 0-5-5 points and -5 are his stats this year.

This is the same player that last year put up 14 goals and 45 assists and 59 points.

....has babs helped at all with getting his offense going? I mean sometimes players need to be put into situations to get their confidence going. Especially after being traded for the first time in his career and also going to an entirely new conference.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I’ll give him some small credit, he made a couple rushes and pressured the puck carried much better in the 3rd period tonight. It started in the second period when he got that slot chance. Hope he can get something going.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
... why is Barrie getting flack after this game when Muzzin caused a goal against with an awful flip pass turnover, and yet another terrible pinch that forced him to take a penalty that led to a second goal against?

Don't get me wrong, Barrie hasn't been great since about game 5, but it's clear that the pairing with Muzzin isn't working even though they should complement each other quite well on paper.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
... why is Barrie getting flack after this game when Muzzin caused a goal against with an awful flip pass turnover, and yet another terrible pinch that forced him to take a penalty that led to a second goal against?

Don't get me wrong, Barrie hasn't been great since about game 5, but it's clear that the pairing with Muzzin isn't working even though they should complement each other quite well on paper.

Because Muzzin does stuff and Barrie does almost nothing. Muzzin getting burned doesn’t hurt because he is trying and makes up for it in other areas. Barrie has no saving grace to any error he makes. He can barely make a clean tape to tape pass right now.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011

Muzzin struggles on the back-to-backs, but he's earned some slack by being our best all-around D this year.

Reactions: DarkKnight

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Because Muzzin does stuff and Barrie does almost nothing. Muzzin getting burned doesn’t hurt because he is trying and makes up for it in other areas. Barrie has no saving grace to any error he makes. He can barely make a clean tape to tape pass right now.

Pretty much. We don't expect players to be perfect, but we do expect them to bounce back and be consistent overall. Muzzin has made some bad errors in games, some of which have lead to goals (or at least near goals), but bounces back and always finds a way to make a positive impact on a game.

The only time you notice Barrie this season is when he messes up... And that has happened far too often for a guy who is not putting up the production to match.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hope so. Honestly I like Barrie's skill set and what he can do. Seen him play for years. It's a shame it's still taking time for him but I'm willing to wait the only downside is time is not on our side. He's a pending UFA. If he can increase his value here going forward maybe a team picks him up for a first.

I just don't feel a team would give up a first for him with his contract status, etc. Second reason, he's an RD, one we've been searching for so long. I think it'd be better to keep him as an "own rental" for our playoff run.
It is a tough call probably the toughest for Dubie this year. They have some time before TDL for sure. But when I look at what he is doing which is virtually nothing offensively and hurting us defensively if this continues then there is no point in keeping him unless Rielly gets hurt which I might understand. We have the strongest/deepest draft class since the 95s. We need to get our 1st round pick back. It is essential for long term health of team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
....has babs helped at all with getting his offense going? I mean sometimes players need to be put into situations to get their confidence going. Especially after being traded for the first time in his career and also going to an entirely new conference.

How come all under-performing player issues are always someone else's fault never the players accountability for their own actions, and most often blamed on the coach?

images

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Either needs to be moved to PP1 (resulting in decreased TOI for Rielly, hopefully to help him slowly heal up) OR yea, you gotta say it didn't work and figure out a trade.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It is a tough call probably the toughest for Dubie this year. They have some time before TDL for sure. But when I look at what he is doing which is virtually nothing offensively and hurting us defensively if this continues then there is no point in keeping him unless Rielly gets hurt which I might understand. We have the strongest/deepest draft class since the 95s. We need to get our 1st round pick back. It is essential for long term health of team.

There are lots of clubs that would take a run at Barrie, even with the horrendous start. The western teams have seem his A game for years, or a team like the Jets that is depleted of PMD. I think his game will come around but he was never something they really needed. Not the guy you put on the ice in a game 7 third period.

Mar 26, 2010
Barrie is 100% running back to Colorado after this season. Take that to the bank!

Mar 26, 2010
Not at 8M per he ain't. They won't take him at that rate. At 4M per all day everyday.
I am not impressed with Barrie at all! Not even a little bit. Way overrated, the Leafs got hosed trading Kadri for him.

I will bet that Barrie will re-sign with Colorado on July 1 2020.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad