Value of: Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Playing him with a center that didn't have an Achilles tendon was the cause of this. He's still the same player. Maybe he gets a first from a desperate GM, but I wouldn't do more than a second & Madden.
You got paid more than that (considering madden actually had value back then) for a guy with vastly worse production.

Last year he set career highs in goals and points. This year he's on pace to beat every other year of his career except last year.

There is no reason why his value would be at it's lowest when his play is at it's highest (and with retention his cap hit would also be at it's lowest).

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
You got paid more than that (considering madden actually had value back then) for a guy with vastly worse production.

Last year he set career highs in goals and points. This year he's on pace to beat every other year of his career except last year.

There is no reason why his value would be at it's lowest when his play is at it's highest (and with retention his cap hit would also be at it's lowest).
Madden never had value. At around 150 pounds there's only one productive NHL player in that range. Even after bulking up, he's still too small to cut it & that's before factoring in his skating & lack of athleticism.

The problem with Toffoli is he scores goals when placed with skilled players, but can't generate on his own. Ideally he should be on a skilled 3rd line. Most GM's should have figured it out at this point.

With the other options available that will return a 1st, just don't see enough demand for Toffoli. How many teams are looking to spend a 1st on a wing & how many wings are available? Don't think it's likely.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Madden never had value. At around 150 pounds there's only one productive NHL player in that range. Even after bulking up, he's still too small to cut it & that's before factoring in his skating & lack of athleticism.

The problem with Toffoli is he scores goals when placed with skilled players, but can't generate on his own. Ideally he should be on a skilled 3rd line. Most GM's should have figured it out at this point.

With the other options available that will return a 1st, just don't see enough demand for Toffoli. How many teams are looking to spend a 1st on a wing & how many wings are available? Don't think it's likely.
He's been linked to Edmonton, LA, Vegas, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Florida so I think there is interest in him. As for the available bit, him and Tarasenko are the best wingers available (unless Guentzel is actually available). Whether he's worth a 1st or not, I have no idea but there is definitely interest and quite a lot of it.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
He's been linked to Edmonton, LA, Vegas, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Florida so I think there is interest in him. As for the available bit, him and Tarasenko are the best wingers available (unless Guentzel is actually available). Whether he's worth a 1st or not, I have no idea but there is definitely interest and quite a lot of it.
LA being included, makes me doubt the list.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Edmonton's apparently liked Toffoli for awhile, too. Wouldn't be shocked at all if he's our guy.

He's already played for three Canadian teams, as well. Probably a better than average chance to re-sign him if he' s a good fit.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
LA has no cap to make a splash this trade deadline. Blake I can see riding this out til the end of the season with what they've.They we're having issues just dressing enough players due to cap issues.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Unless the Devils plan on moving Holtz or Mercer to the top 6 I still think they should try to re-sign him. He’s good for 30 goals and if they let him go they’ll just be back on the free agent market looking to replace those goals.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I get that you don't like the player but that doesn't mean your team agrees with you.

Edmonton's apparently liked Toffoli for awhile, too. Wouldn't be shocked at all if he's our guy.

He's already played for three Canadian teams, as well. Probably a better than average chance to re-sign him if he' s a good fit.
I think he'd fit in Edmonton well, and he very well could re-sign there. No idea what they'd be willing to trade for him though.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Unless the Devils plan on moving Holtz or Mercer to the top 6 I still think they should try to re-sign him. He’s good for 30 goals and if they let him go they’ll just be back on the free agent market looking to replace those goals.
at what 5x$5.5M per? Dumb

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
NJ probably wants 2-3 years, Toffoli probably wants 4-5 years.

Last season it was Tatar who overplayed his hand. The Devils offered him 1 year and he declined the contract because he wanted 2 years. Devils let him walk. Tatar ended up getting 1 year for way less from COL and was traded within a few months.

I would think that Toffoli is smart enough to realize that he needs the Devils a lot more than the Devils need him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Last season it was Tatar who overplayed his hand. The Devils offered him 1 year and he declined the contract because he wanted 2 years. Devils let him walk. Tatar ended up getting 1 year for way less from COL and was traded within a few months.

I would think that Toffoli is smart enough to realize that he needs the Devils a lot more than the Devils need him.
Toffoli was a 2010 draft pick. He is turning 32 in 2024. Pretty much the end of his prime years. I agree if NJ is aiming for a 2-3 year term as that is realistically the best of his remaining years. Unless some team is looking at adding that "winning culture" he has from his LA days, ala Killorn in Ana where he got $5 mill for like 5 years. Those are the types of teams that would pay TT the kind of money he would want on a 4/5 year term.

Otherwise, he'd be a pure rental at the TDL. As in, he's not getting a new contract within a week of arriving at his new team.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Tatar is a bottom 6 forward. Toffoli is a top line forward. Not even remotely comparable beyond the fact that they're Devils UFAs. Toffoli will have a lineup of suitors July 1st, NJ may not need him but he certainly doesn't need them either

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not re-signing Toffoli would mean Fitz traded Sharangovich for a rental and that’s not acceptable.

That’s an incredibly shortsighted way to look at it. You want Fitz to re-sign an already slow and aging Toffoli, not because it makes sense in the long term (it doesn’t), but because with hindsight it would just made him a one year rental? So double down just because?

Sharangovich was a healthy scratch in the playoffs last year. He’s shooting at almost double his % last year. I don’t know: maybe this is the new norm, maybe it’s a career year, but I do know that he now has absolutely nothing to do with what Fitz decides to do long term with Toffoli.

Reactions: MasterofGrond
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad