Value of: Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
That’s an incredibly shortsighted way to look at it. You want Fitz to re-sign an already slow and aging Toffoli, not because it makes sense in the long term (it doesn’t), but because with hindsight it would just made him a one year rental? So double down just because?

Sharangovich was a healthy scratch in the playoffs last year. He’s shooting at almost double his % last year. I don’t know: maybe this is the new norm, maybe it’s a career year, but I do know that he now has absolutely nothing to do with what Fitz decides to do long term with Toffoli.
I’ve actually already stated multiple times that he’s good for 30 goals and we’re going to have to replace those goals somehow anyway so might as well just re-sign him.

I don’t know why Devils fans are upset that a goal scorer is only good for scoring goals. That’s the exact reason they traded for him and he’s done exactly what was expected.

But yea, in a year that Fitz didn’t seem to do anything right I’m willing to bet this is exactly how he’s thinking. And he’s already stayed he’s going to try to re-sign him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Not re-signing Toffoli would mean Fitz traded Sharangovich for a rental and that’s not acceptable.

why do some of our fans pine over this player (Sharangovich) so much? He was bad down the stretch and a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

We know what he is. A streaky player with a great shot. That isn't anything that crazy.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I’ve actually already stated multiple times that he’s good for 30 goals and we’re going to have to replace those goals somehow anyway so might as well just re-sign him.

I don’t know why Devils fans are upset that a goal scorer is only good for scoring goals. That’s the exact reason they traded for him and he’s done exactly what was expected.

But yea, in a year that Fitz didn’t seem to do anything right I’m willing to bet this is exactly how he’s thinking. And he’s already stayed he’s going to try to re-sign him.

He’s good at what he does, I’m not arguing that. That also doesn’t mean re-signing him is a good decision long term. Unless Toffoli is willing to take a sweetheart deal, it’s not worth it.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
why do some of our fans pine over this player (Sharangovich) so much? He was bad down the stretch and a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

We know what he is. A streaky player with a great shot. That isn't anything that crazy.
Maybe because you just described Toffoli, but left out being able to PK and also play in the bottom 6 without being out of place?

I'll give back 5 goals over the year if that player could be used around the line up in different situations.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Maybe because you just described Toffoli, but left out being able to PK and also play in the bottom 6 without being out of place?

I'll give back 5 goals over the year if that player could be used around the line up in different situations.

Sharangovich is a middling player. He is getting way more ice time in Calgary than he would in NJ.

good for him, but it really isn't a huge deal that he was dealt. It was clear that his time in NJ had run its course.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I didn’t say long term. 3-4 years is what I’d offer.

4 year would absolutely be too long. And Toffoli already has his cup win, and this is his last chance to really cash in, I don’t think he’s taking a short term deal for anything reasonable for the Devils.

Reactions: Smitty426

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL

Why are we suddenly praising Ruff’s scraping decisions? From what I understand Devils fans are pissed with Holtz usage.

Trading any young decent piece for a rental isn’t a good move unless you’re going for a cup win or you’re sure you can re-sign the player.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Sharangovich seems like a genuinely good guy - an extremely easy player to root for. A 5th round pick that scored 16 and then 24 goals his first two seasons.

Easy to see why fans were attached to him. Yes, he was a streaky player and a healthy scratch last year in the playoffs so it made sense as to why Fitz moved him. The guy also had a newborn which could've affected his play last season and seeing how he's been utilized/performing in Calgary this season and how Ruff has potentially mismanaged Holtz, you have to wonder if he wouldn't have rebounded this season in NJ or under a different coach.

I understand why Fitz dealt Sharangovich and a 3rd to Calgary for Toffoli - made sense at the time even if I wasn't a huge fan of it, but in hindsight that is a trade I would rather undo. Hopefully Fitz is able to deal Toffoli for a good return over the next 2 days to make it more worthwhile.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sharangovich seems like a genuinely good guy - an extremely easy player to root for. A 5th round pick that scored 16 and then 24 goals his first two seasons.

Easy to see why fans were attached to him. Yes, he was a streaky player and a healthy scratch last year in the playoffs so it made sense as to why Fitz moved him. The guy also had a newborn which could've affected his play last season and seeing how he's been utilized/performing in Calgary this season and how Ruff has potentially mismanaged Holtz, you have to wonder if he wouldn't have rebounded this season in NJ or under a different coach.

I understand why Fitz dealt Sharangovich and a 3rd to Calgary for Toffoli - made sense at the time even if I wasn't a huge fan of it, but in hindsight that is a trade I would rather undo. Hopefully Fitz is able to deal Toffoli for a good return over the next 2 days to make it more worthwhile.

I get it. It's a surprise NJD success story. Easy to root for. Always fun to latch on those and keep tabs on a guy even when they're no longer in your org. But sometimes, things transpired the way they did for a reason.

Reminds me of Micheal Ferland for the Flames (Hanifin/Lindholm trade). A fifth rounder who turned into an absolute beast of a power forward/fighter. It still saddens me that Ferdaddy basically LTIRetired at age 27 due to concussions. I'm glad he got the payday he deserved. I'm also glad we didn't have to give him that LTIRetired contract. He hasn't played in almost 4 years and he's only 31 years old right now. Crazy.

Reactions: Forge

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

His metrics are exactly the same as in NJD, he's just shooting 18% instead of 13% and getting power play time.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
5.7. Don't think anybody should go higher on 4 years.

I think 5.7 is a little optimistic. When you see killorn getting 6.25, palat getting 6 and the cap finally moving, I don't know how his next deal doesn't start with a 6.

I think he'll try for 5 years, settle for 4 and teams have had no issues going to 35, so 4 years make sense.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I think 5.7 is a little optimistic. When you see killorn getting 6.25, palat getting 6 and the cap finally moving, I don't know how his next deal doesn't start with a 6.

I think he'll try for 5 years, settle for 4 and teams have had no issues going to 35, so 4 years make sense.
Thats Palat territory! We all ready for that?
I like Palat but not at that #, so I'm a no dog

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I hate the stapling of Toffoli to Jack Hughes. If we get a first I'd take it in a heartbeat. No faith that Fitz will take a good offer for him though. He seems enamored with him and his cement boots.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

the best thing to happen would be the Flames trading for Toff after all this Markstrom brouhaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad