Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Couple things to think about when you include his LA stats:
8 points in his last 4 games, including 6 goals.
Currently sits in 3 place in goal scoring on the Canucks with 20, after Miller and Petey

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
It's a 3 hour flight usually plus going through customs and driving to/from the airport which is always a nightmare in LA(usually takes 30-40 minutes to get from LAX to downtown LA). It was mentioned on HNIC After Hours that his wife works for the Kings/Dodgers, I think it's gonna be a hard sell mainly due to that reason.

He also said his wife was here and really enjoying it as well , he definately has helped fill in for the loss of BB if Benning can clear some cap space to keep him it would be a stronger lineup without a doubt .

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Imagine paying that for a pure rental, not helping your cap really at all, and also somehow liking the deal.. unbelievable.

Pure rental but if he helps you win 2 rounds and gets the Canucks to the WCF.... thats a good trade

Playoff experience and a winning mentality is huge. Huge for the team and the city too

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If I were to add a 'prediction' for Tyler Toffoli to my season stat tracking chart it would read like this:

GP: 76 - G: 18 - A: 21 - P: 38

That said, he put up those stats on an LA team which hasn't exactly been an offensive juggernaut over the 3-year span that I take my averages from. For context, the LA Kings averaged 2.43, 2.89 & 2.43 goals for per game versus league averages of 3.01, 2.97 & 2.77 over that same span. While it's not a given that he'd have produced more on a team with a better offence it seems likely that his 'predicted stats' are deflated compared to where they'd have been if he played on a team closer to the average. All that aside, we're getting a player with a career-high of 31 g - 27 p - 58 p and who's generally been a mid 20 - 20 - 40 type second-line player who shoots at a 10% rate and chip in on the PP, while being a positive possession player who gets a 60/40 split of zone starts.

Assuming Boeser comes back for the playoffs Toffoli also gives us a lot more flexibility in who plays RW on our top three lines.

If he fits I think he's the type of player you make an effort to bring back as more than a rental.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Pacing for 25 goals, 50 points.

What kind of contract do we think he gets this summer? From us or otherwise.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Pacing for 25 goals, 50 points.

What kind of contract do we think he gets this summer? From us or otherwise.

I think he could be tempted by a 4 or 5 year deal from us at 5.5 per. I get the sense he's a loyal guy and our situation should be a good fit for him. If he wants to max out he could get 6+ but at that point I think he'd have other things to consider (loyalty, team fit, wife etc.).

Obviously we have some cap considerations however I do think it's possible to sign him, Tanev and Markstrom. I'll let management figure out how but I don't see this as being outside of the realm of possibilities.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think he could be tempted by a 4 or 5 year deal from us at 5.5 per. I get the sense he's a loyal guy and our situation should be a good fit for him. If he wants to max out he could get 6+ but at that point I think he'd have other things to consider (loyalty, team fit, wife etc.).

Obviously we have some cap considerations however I do think it's possible to sign him, Tanev and Markstrom. I'll let management figure out how but I don't see this as being outside of the realm of possibilities.

If we can talk one of them into signing a shorter term deal with the understanding we'll pay them more once we lose some contracts, I think we can make things work out. That, or they all take deals outside the 6M range. It'll be tight next year but manageable. Unfortunately, if any of them want term and a payday, we simply have to pick who of the three we're keeping.

Suffice it to say, this off season will be where Benning can start rebuilding his reputation. If he pulls off giving the team intact, it'll go a long way.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Still a long-shot that Tofoli will re-sign in VanCity.....but the thing about guys like Tofoli and Pearson, is that they're battle-tested in a couple of long Cup runs.....that kind of experience is priceless on a team with as many young pieces as the Canucks.

The price was steep....but hard to argue with the results so far......Four points in two games, and looks to have slipped seamlessly into Boeser's spot on the top line.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
In my opinion the best two deadline aquisitions in Canucks history happened at the same time: Cliff Ronning and Geoff Courtnall.

Is it too early to say Tyler Toffoli will be in the conversation?

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Posted this in the GDT but posting it here may be better.

Honestly...dealing Boeser in the off season may be the best move if Virtanen can take that next stop forward. Toffoli makes Boeser kind of irrelevant. We dont need two of those types of players on the team. Only one will get pp time.

Keep Boeser and let Toffoli walk...or trade Boeser for a good piece and sign Toffoli?

OR give up another first for someone to take Eriksson and keep both.​

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
In my opinion the best two deadline aquisitions in Canucks history happened at the same time: Cliff Ronning and Geoff Courtnall.

Is it too early to say Tyler Toffoli will be in the conversation?
I still think this was the best trade in team history. Two great top six forwards and a solid, physical 3rd liner in Momesso.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
A great fit to this Canuck roster. I would love to find a way to have Toffoli resigned. What a great addition going forward.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Top Titty was one nickname the Kings fans gave to him. The other was Cupcake.

Hughes to Toffoli = Huggy Bear to Cupcake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad