Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Love the player, don’t like the trade at all.
price seems a bit too steep for a rental, but jb is fighting for him job so a move like this will inevitably happen.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Nice to add another bonafide top 6 player to the fold. Bonus points for Toffoli being durable.

Get this man into the bumper position on the 1st unit PP. That is a spot we have gotten nothing out of this season.

Nice side story that he and Tanner Pearson are best buds, and have shown chemistry together in the past, with a shoot first centre.

Steep price to pay, but love this addition. Horvat deserves it.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Toffoli is a pretty solid 2nd line scorer. I hope they can re-sign him for a few years.

Miller- Pettersson- Boeser/Virtanen
Pearson- Horvat- Toffoli
Roussel- Gaudette- Virtanen/Boeser
Beagle- Sutter- Motte/Eriksson

Ya... can't complain with the forward group.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
If that 2nd line performs well enough he may have fun and decide to resign here. Especially with how bad LA has been and will be.

Will be an interesting rest of the season.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Sucks giving up Madden for sure

If we can somehow configure the cap to keep Toffoli this will be a very good trade. 27 year old player who has been praised by Kings fans over the past year for improvements to his D game, who can put up 50-60 points. We have a good, young top 9 right now.

But if we lose Toffoli as a UFA or he compromises us re-signing Markstrom/Tanev, this trade is a little bit worse. Value wise it is probably slightly tipped in our favour, but are we a Stanley Cup team? I highly highly doubt it... But the West is weak. We might be able to weasle our way to a WCF but I can't see us beating anyone from the Central's big 3

Good value, okay trade for where we are. Will all depend on how long we get use out of Toffoli

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Sucks giving up Madden for sure

If we can somehow configure the cap to keep Toffoli this will be a very good trade. 27 year old player who has been praised by Kings fans over the past year for improvements to his D game, who can put up 50-60 points. We have a good, young top 9 right now.

But if we lose Toffoli as a UFA or he compromises us re-signing Markstrom/Tanev, this trade is a little bit worse. Value wise it is probably slightly tipped in our favour, but are we a Stanley Cup team? I highly highly doubt it... But the West is weak. We might be able to weasle our way to a WCF but I can't see us beating anyone from the Central's big 3

Good value, okay trade for where we are. Will all depend on how long we get use out of Toffoli
Now you mention it

Maybe Jimbo plans to not resign Markstrom or Tanev?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
steep price but good deal. van needed another top 6 winger alongside horvat. he derserves one badly after a year and a half of carousel of players. trying to fit.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I like this trade. With Boeser down we needed the boost to ensure we remain competitive and make the playoffs.

Toffoli's play will dictate if this trade was a success. I have confidence, look how most of us were wrong about JT Miller.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
If nothing else it's going to be fun to watch Person-Horvat-Toffoli play. This could be the first time Horvat has ever had a legit second line top to bottom lmao

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Absolutely agree. I can see Jimbo getting rid of Tanev and letting him walk to UFA. He seems set of keeping Markstrom, don't think he will let him gk

Would be dumb honestly, Tanev is our ouly steady defensive defender
Benning hasn't shown much ability to move contracts out after he moved Garrison and Bieksa who had value around the NHL for 2nd round picks. It's been Gagner for Spooner and Gudbranson for Pearson. Biggest cap savings was 1/2 of MDZ for Schenn prorated for when they were moved.

So, extending Toffoli before moving anything out would be a massive mistake and put him into a corner.

Expected Jim to do something. He probably knows with the contracts he's handed out that this year more than next year is their best shot at making the playoffs. Also a down year for the division.

He's basically a better finisher than Pearson. Skating is so so. Overall, he's a 2nd line RW.

Disappointed that even with the cost of Madden none of the bottom 6 with term was sent the other way, just an expiring contract in Schaller. Not even Sven could get included in the deal. Could stomach it better if one of the dead weight under contract next season got moved out.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Benning hasn't shown much ability to move contracts out after he moved Garrison and Bieksa who had value around the NHL for 2nd round picks. It's been Gagner for Spooner and Gudbranson for Pearson. Biggest cap savings was 1/2 of MDZ for Schenn prorated for when they were moved.

So, extending Toffoli before moving anything out would be a massive mistake and put him into a corner.

Expected Jim to do something. He probably knows with the contracts he's handed out that this year more than next year is their best shot at making the playoffs. Also a down year for the division.

He's basically a better finisher than Pearson. Skating is so so. Overall, he's a 2nd line RW.

Disappointed that even with the cost of Madden none of the bottom 6 with term was sent the other way, just an expiring contract in Schaller. Not even Sven could get included in the deal. Could stomach it better if one of the dead weight under contract next season got moved out.
TDL is still 1 week away
Hope he somehow pulls another Pearson/Gudbranson deal

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
I like it, since Linden and Naslund retired, a big weakness has been lack of top 6 wingers and Benning has been able to fill those spots without giving up much of value. We've always made due with overachieving third liners like Raymond, Torres, Samuelsson, and Higgins but Toffoli will slot in nicely with Horvat and Pearson. I really like the look of our forward group this year.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He is a legit top 6 winger, I am just hoping nobody will call him a middle 6 winger like how a lot of you called Miller a middle 6 winger before. Give Horvat a legit top 6 winger on RW or he might play with Petey. He can't definitely score goals.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I like it, since Linden and Naslund retired, a big weakness has been lack of top 6 wingers and Benning has been able to fill those spots without giving up much of value. We've always made due with overachieving third liners like Raymond, Torres, Samuelsson, and Higgins but Toffoli will slot in nicely with Horvat and Pearson. I really like the look of our forward group this year.

Yup, the top 6 mix looks excellent right now.

Crazy to think where this forward group was 18 months ago to where it is today.

The Canucks now have options on that right side. Valuable pieces they can move for upgrades on the backend.

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Such a short sighted an completely inept GM we have. Our contending window has not opened and we're already in the rental market, giving away assets for impending UFA's while under heavy cap constraints. Toffoli is already making $4.6m and on the open market he's probably going to get between $5-$6m per year, likely with a NMC/NTC of some kind and multiple years...if we re-sign him we offer up another 4th, not a big price but it just adds to the cost of a player we shouldn't be looking at right now. Use our prime assets (picks/prospects) to buy cost controlled assets that have some term attached to them, I'd rather spend more on a guy we're going to be able to have for 1-3 years over a guy for 20 games and becomes a UFA. This reeks of desperation and Jimbo thinking this team is better than it really is.

Reactions: Love

Rowlet

Oct 13, 2018
Yup, the top 6 mix looks excellent right now.

Crazy to think where this forward group was 18 months ago to where it is today.

The Canucks now have options on that right side. Valuable pieces they can move for upgrades on the backend.

Yeah, the turnaround time is insane. At the draft, our forward group was in shaaaambles, now it looks like it could contend with elite forward groups in the league when healthy. Adding two top 6 wingers without subtracting from the lineup or losing any of the team's top 3 prospects is huge.

Reactions: bh53

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Assuming Ferland is done for the season and Boeser & Leivo return, wonder who sits?

Miller/Petey/Brock
Pearson/Bo/Toffoli
Roussell/Gaudette/Virtanen
Leivo/Beagle/Sutter
Motte/Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->