Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounds right in theory, but moving the bad players is in no way automatic. And you can’t operate a team assuming it will happen. That’s why getting rid of them first sets the stage, but that wasn’t done here.
Tofoli, much like Miller, is a good player, and worth what we paid. But, like you point out, the timing of the trade is wrong. We should be keeping our prospects and picks and letting the crap contracts expire. The young guys we are counting on will be 2-3 years more mature, and the prospects (like Madden) will be taking the roles the older crap contract guys are leaving.
I don’t understand why JB and our owner can’t be patient and do this when it’s time?

Reactions: The Poacher

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Sounds right in theory, but moving the bad players is in no way automatic. And you can’t operate a team assuming it will happen. That’s why getting rid of them first sets the stage, but that wasn’t done here.
I think higher of Toffoli then most people I guess.
But I think this is an asset that is well worth retaining.

I do not like the price the canucks gave up to get him. But I really like the player, I think he'll prove his worth for the Canucks.

Sakic

Extra B is for BYOBB
Jan 3, 2006
Calgary, Alberta
He played well last night offensively, I found he was lost a few times in the defensive zone and covering no one, but hopefully that's just a system thing.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
With Virtanen jumping in and out with injuries.

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen/Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

I like that. Get Toffoli to a contract, maybe get a LW internally through the system to replace Pearson down the line. That'll be good for at least 2-3 seasons. Unless Toffoli turns out to be a flop, which I doubt.

I like the look of this top 6. Obviously skill is important, but I like that we have different looks. That’s it’s a good mix of skilled players with a bit more size or grit, along with more finesse players.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think higher of Toffoli then most people I guess.
But I think this is an asset that is well worth retaining.

I do not like the price the canucks gave up to get him. But I really like the player, I think he'll prove his worth for the Canucks.

I agree. I think the Canucks should try to retain Toffoli if he can be signed to a reasonable contract. I'm not sure if they can fit him under the cap though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If they're going to retain Tofoli, then at least one and possibly both of Tanev and Markstrom will have to be sacrificed. Of course moving Boeser in the off-season would also do the trick.

But players like Tofoli usually command 'crazy money' on July 1st anyway. So I doubt the Canucks will be in the running.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Two games in, you can already see a potential perfect fit on the top line for Toffoli. Excellent offensive instincts, moves the puck well, finds soft spots around the net and is a good finisher. The fact he's another heavy body, with a reliable defensive game makes him the type of forward that should endear himself to Travis Green.

Early returns are good. The fact he had been playing well for an extended stretch before coming to Vancouver probably helps too. Have a feeling he could be hanging with JT miller point for point down the stretch here.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Perfect fit for Petersson, say what you want about the trade, but Tyler Toffoli is really the exact kind of player this team needs in the top six and he'll help elevate Petersson's game as much as Miller did.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I really like this player, liked the trade and was the guy i wanted the Canucks to draft back in his draft year before they traded the pick. Like i said when the Canucks acquired him, he's the guy Boeser should learn from, and try to emulate. They're really the same player, Boeser obviously a little more upside but his all-round game needs to round out.

I want the canucks to re-sign Toffoli but judging by interviews with Benning/ Toffoli on HNIC. I think he's a pure rental. There are other priorities that are over him like Tanev and Markstrom. You really have to bank on Virtanen getting some ice time in the top six and even, Gaudette rounding out his game for next year.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I really like this player, liked the trade and was the guy i wanted the Canucks to draft back in his draft year before they traded the pick. Like i said when the Canucks acquired him, he's the guy Boeser should learn from, and try to emulate. They're really the same player, Boeser obviously a little more upside but his all-round game needs to round out.

I want the canucks to re-sign Toffoli but judging by interviews with Benning/ Toffoli on HNIC. I think he's a pure rental. There are other priorities that are over him like Tanev and Markstrom. You really have to bank on Virtanen getting some ice time in the top six and even, Gaudette rounding out his game for next year.

What did they say in the interviews? Didn't watch after hours today

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
What did they say in the interviews? Didn't watch after hours today

They just asked him if he has interested in staying in Vancouver. He had his backup look on his face, and said we'll have to see. Benning also mentioned, after the trade, that they'll have to wait until the season is over to see. I think they both kinda know it isn't long term. It would literally take a PPG+ performance, Stanley Cup, Salary cut things to come in play, I'd imagine.

Most likely go back to LA, since his wife covers the Dodgers. A 27 year old, in the prime of his career is probably looking to get as much as he can and a long term deal. Only makes sense is if the Vancouver Canucks feel like they could trade a similar player in Boeser. I can't see it though. Boeser and Petterrsson are best friends. When was the last time, a duo like this were split up so soon? They're gonna get a few years to see where it goes, even with Boeser's 7.5M qualifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zanon

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Imagine paying that for a pure rental, not helping your cap really at all, and also somehow liking the deal.. unbelievable.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
On a good streak right now and I agree he's a little better fit than Boeser with Petteresson and Miller.
Always felt like Boeser was being forced to fit on that line. Horvat and Boeser worked so well together yet Green refused to reunite them.

Reactions: bh53

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They just asked him if he has interested in staying in Vancouver. He had his backup look on his face, and said we'll have to see. Benning also mentioned, after the trade, that they'll have to wait until the season is over to see. I think they both kinda know it isn't long term. It would literally take a PPG+ performance, Stanley Cup, Salary cut things to come in play, I'd imagine.

Most likely go back to LA, since his wife covers the Dodgers. A 27 year old, in the prime of his career is probably looking to get as much as he can and a long term deal. Only makes sense is if the Vancouver Canucks feel like they could trade a similar player in Boeser. I can't see it though. Boeser and Petterrsson are best friends. When was the last time, a duo like this were split up so soon? They're gonna get a few years to see where it goes, even with Boeser's 7.5M qualifier.

I think it was Ray Ferraro that said that Toffoli is a pretty loyal guy. The Kings could have kept him but they didn't. If he's not going to LA or Anaheim then Vancouver keeps them on the west coast. At the end of the day Toffoli is a professional hockey player and his wife covers sports so she should be pretty understanding and might embrace "their new adventure."

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I think it was Ray Ferraro that said that Toffoli is a pretty loyal guy. The Kings could have kept him but they didn't. If he's not going to LA or Anaheim then Vancouver keeps them on the west coast. At the end of the day Toffoli is a professional hockey player and his wife covers sports so she should be pretty understanding and might embrace "their new adventure."

Vancouver is like a 2.5-3h ride from LA and is a team trending upwards. The location won't play a factor in him staying imo. It's the money and term. This will likely be his last big contract.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Obviously you want him to succeed, but the better he is for us, the more bittersweet it's going to be if we have to let him go.

Somehow....somehow Benning and Co. have to clear out some of the deadweight. I know this isn't going to be a popular idea - and trust me, I don't really like it either - but if this team has a really good run this year and there's no doubt they're the real deal, I think management has to consider dipping into their 2021 draft picks and other assets to move a couple of Eriksson/Beagle/Roussel/Sutter. Again, IF the team really shows you can bank on them. Sutter I wouldn't mind keeping, as we need the centre depth, he's still more effective than Beagle and he has one year less on his contract, which is huge.

The Canucks could really use some luck here too. An example would be Eriksson deciding to retire after receiving his last big bonus payday and with the looming threat of permanent banishment to Utica, or one of those guys actually showing well enough that for some reason it wouldn't take a sweetener to get a team to take them. I'm not going to touch on Ferland because it would be pretty shitty of me to "hope" he retires or something.

Circling back to Toffoli, the guy has been excellent his first two games with us. He's fitting in fantastic on the top line and you get the sense he's even more reliable when he has a point blank scoring chance than Boeser. Right now anyway. Boeser will get back there, but he might be better served skating with his rookie year centre, Horvat.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Vancouver is like a 2.5-3h ride from LA and is a team trending upwards. The location won't play a factor in him staying imo. It's the money and term. This will likely be his last big contract.

Ride? You mean flight? I think location is always a factor. But in terms of money and term he'll be a 28 year old UFA. Is he a guy who can command a 6 year contract in this current market? More likely he'll sign for 4. If he signs for 4 years he'll be a 32 year old UFA at the end of it. He can probably get another 3-4 year contract if he hasn't declined.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
It's a 3 hour flight usually plus going through customs and driving to/from the airport which is always a nightmare in LA(usually takes 30-40 minutes to get from LAX to downtown LA). It was mentioned on HNIC After Hours that his wife works for the Kings/Dodgers, I think it's gonna be a hard sell mainly due to that reason.

Reactions: Ghetty Green
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad