Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
With the way Benning talked about him, I feel rather comfortable that Toffoli will be signed. Especially with Pearson being here. By all accounts, Pearson likes to play here.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ive been pretty negative on this and the other thread, because i think this move doesn't really make sense and was an overpay. but i will also say that i always have had a soft spot for toffoli for how endearing he was after they won the cup in 2014 and the cbc (scott oake?) was interviewing him and he's not even answering the questions he's just looking around the crowd trying to find his dad to hug him.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Just saw this one facebook. Does this count as bromance? It feels like bromance.
86352335_10156826202892466_959897994923081728_o.jpg

Reactions: Grub

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
What I really like about Toffoli is he fires the puck a lot. It could translate to more production from him with perhaps better deployment/linemates.

I think he is a bonafide top-6 forward. He's 27 so he's got at least 4 more good years ahead of him.

His low point totals could be a case of the Kings just not being a high scoring team.
Over the past 3 seasons, the kings are 29 out of 31 in scoring.
Canucks are a pretty high scoring team this year being 11th so I'd expect him to improve his PPG here.

Canucks are scoring 3.19 GF/GP, King at 2.47 GF/GP. So the Canucks are scoring 0.72 goals more per game than the Kings. That's a massive difference.

A guy like him could really solidify the second line, especially if Pearson can continue where he left off from this season.
Take away Pearson's empty-net points and he's on pace for about 46 points and 17 goals. That's pretty much a low-end 2nd line winger. Maybe his points might even go up when he doesn't have Eriksson's corpse to drag around.

I really hope he signs. Maybe Pearson can convince him. Hearing that Benning talked with his agent and talked with Pearson prior to the trade gives me hope.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's 2020, so it's not an issue.
Don't worry about it, nobody is holding you accountable. Everyone gets a slipup once in a while.

I just thought it's a pretty fun photo showing off some nice bromance, so I posted it. And then someone made the implication that I'm trying to make it an issue.

Shrug

Reactions: LiveeviL and WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I just thought it's a pretty fun photo showing off some nice bromance, so I posted it.

I still don't get it, how the **** is that an "issue" unless someone goes out of his/her way to MAKE it an issue?
I'm being tongue and cheek.
Of course it's not an issue.

Just messing with ya. ;)

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I'm being tongue and cheek.
Of course it's not an issue.

Just messing with ya. ;)

You gotta admit, that's some serious bromance though.
:laugh:

So our top six down the line will be a combination of pete, bo, miller, toffoli, pearson, and boeser?

Reactions: WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
You gotta admit, that's some serious bromance though.
:laugh:

So our top six down the line will be a combination of pete, bo, miller, toffoli, pearson, and boeser?
With Virtanen jumping in and out with injuries.

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen/Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

I like that. Get Toffoli to a contract, maybe get a LW internally through the system to replace Pearson down the line. That'll be good for at least 2-3 seasons. Unless Toffoli turns out to be a flop, which I doubt.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
With Virtanen jumping in and out with injuries.

Miller-Pettersson-Virtanen/Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

I like that. Get Toffoli to a contract, maybe get a LW internally through the system to replace Pearson down the line. That'll be good for at least 2-3 seasons. Unless Toffoli turns out to be a flop, which I doubt.

I'm concerned about Toffoli's contract, his next one coming up is gonna be 5-5.5 per year I'm assuming. The price we paid to obtain him still rubs me the wrong way, it feels too much like a rental deal...

Unless, this is a sign that Benning wants to start actually getting rid of stupid contracts like Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle...etc. Otherwise we'll need literal voodoo magic in order to fit everyone under the cap.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
This is the right move and I know that people who have followed the Canucks for a while believe so.

I always felt Gillis missed his chance to go ALL IN with the Sedin core, he never could give Kesler that Top 6 winger. We got 2 now in Toffoli and Pearson... not to mention that both these players have played with each other and won the cup with the LA Kings.

This is the right move.

Reactions: rotiman187

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'm concerned about Toffoli's contract, his next one coming up is gonna be 5-5.5 per year I'm assuming. The price we paid to obtain him still rubs me the wrong way, it feels too much like a rental deal...

Unless, this is a sign that Benning wants to start actually getting rid of stupid contracts like Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle...etc. Otherwise we'll need literal voodoo magic in order to fit everyone under the cap.
I do not agree with the price either. But, you have to still sign good contracts when you can. A top 6 forward for 5-5.5 is a good deal IMO, especially at his age.

You don't walk away from signing good players because you've signed bad players. You move the bad players or else you just have a bad team.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
This is the right move and I know that people who have followed the Canucks for a while believe so.

I always felt Gillis missed his chance to go ALL IN with the Sedin core, he never could give Kesler that Top 6 winger. We got 2 now in Toffoli and Pearson... not to mention that both these players have played with each other and won the cup with the LA Kings.

This is the right move.

Only if we win the cup this year, which I don’t think we even make the playoffs. I think we just miss.

a very real outcome is .... we finish 9th and miss the playoffs, Toffoli signs elsewhere in offseason , we don’t draft till round 3 and lost Tyler Madden who wins the Hobey Baker.

this trade can honestly turn out to be the worst in the last 15 years. Since the rentals we got in Noronen , Weinrich etc.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

you honestly think jeff carter’s wingers are a level up from demitra, samuelsson, mayray, and higgins? i like all these guys but feels exactly the same to me.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Only if we win the cup this year, which I don’t think we even make the playoffs. I think we just miss.

a very real outcome is .... we finish 9th and miss the playoffs, Toffoli signs elsewhere in offseason , we don’t draft till round 3 and lost Tyler Madden who wins the Hobey Baker.

this trade can honestly turn out to be the worst in the last 15 years. Since the rentals we got in Noronen , Weinrich etc.

If we miss the playoffs, we keep the first do we not? Tampa would get next year's.
Let's keep these worst-case scenarios factual.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I do not agree with the price either. But, you have to still sign good contracts when you can. A top 6 forward for 5-5.5 is a good deal IMO, especially at his age.

You don't walk away from signing good players because you've signed bad players. You move the bad players or else you just have a bad team.

Sounds right in theory, but moving the bad players is in no way automatic. And you can’t operate a team assuming it will happen. That’s why getting rid of them first sets the stage, but that wasn’t done here.

Reactions: Luckylarry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->