Player Discussion Tyler Toffoli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That 70’s line. Pearson, Carter and Toffoli. All big guys who played hard and could score. You can see why the Kings won a couple of Cups.
I'm going by memory, but I don't think they had suffered much in the way of injuries during those Cup wins. Granted, often being the "initiator" of physical play like the Kings decreases the chances of getting hurt (though in typical Canuck luck, Hamhuis took himself out of the Finals with an attempted hip check on Lurch).

Reactions: I am toxic

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He also said his wife was here and really enjoying it as well , he definately has helped fill in for the loss of BB if Benning can clear some cap space to keep him it would be a stronger lineup without a doubt .
She works for the Dodgers in MLB in media so she’s got the time until the season starts up. See if they want to remain in a hockey market or whether they are too used to the anonymity of a US market and it’s too much of a spotlight for them here. Think TT will be ok but it’s more than just the player it also impacts the family.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
She works for the Dodgers in MLB in media so she’s got the time until the season starts up. See if they want to remain in a hockey market or whether they are too used to the anonymity of a US market and it’s too much of a spotlight for them here. Think TT will be ok but it’s more than just the player it also impacts the family.

She could easily find a job with one of our local teams probably

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Toffoli is an outgoing guy. Looked totally comfortable appearing on 'after hours' and goes out a lot with his teammates. Don't think he's the type of personality to be scared by a little attention. He's the anti Bouwmeester/Hamilton type.

Hopefully his girl can find work in Vancouver. Aquillini could pull a few strings too...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If the Canucks keep winning and Tofolli is productive I think it's just a matter of money and term for him to stay. This team isn't rebuilding like the Kings and he's joining a team working towards Cup contention rather than simply joining a contender that is Cup or bust.

Reactions: PuckFather and WTG

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
His rental status is completely up to how well they do in the playoffs IMO.
If his wife wants to stay in LA that would mean going to a Cali team. All those Cali teams aren't going to be contenders for at least 5 years. Would he really play out the remainder of his NHL career not competing?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Kinda invisible game by Tofu but great play when it matterred most in OT. Great goal

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Tofolli will resign, guy loves it in Vancouver and Pearson’s one of his best friends, wife likes the city too

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
He has already won a cup.

His wife works for the Dodgers and seems pretty comfortable in LA. Got a luke warm impression from his interview on HNIC and he seemed pretty down on leaving the Kings (obviously). If there is a spot for him on one of the California teams at a fair price, I wouldn't be surprised to see him take it.

Vancouver could be a good alternative if he can't get it but my feeling is he is a rental and will be gone.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Since Benning added a conditional pick on whether Toffoli signs or not; that may suggest Benning is confident in resigning him.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
We inherited one of the hottest players in the NHL. Just red hot right now.

9 points in his last 5 games, including 7 goals -- several of which were game winners.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Toffoli is an outgoing guy. Looked totally comfortable appearing on 'after hours' and goes out a lot with his teammates. Don't think he's the type of personality to be scared by a little attention. He's the anti Bouwmeester/Hamilton type.

Hopefully his girl can find work in Vancouver. Aquillini could pull a few strings too...
Term matters. He’s a 2010 pick so he turns 28 This year.

not a great skater. Be careful about maxing our term on him.

5 years works for the Canucks. Might be able to get away going up to 6. But if TT is eyeing a B Schenn 8 year term then I wouldn’t do it.

Reactions: The Poacher

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why would she stop working for the LA DODGERS to work for whatever leagues we have here
yep the Dodgers are one of the top 10 recognizable sports brands in North America. Nothing here even the Canucks compares.

only thing that could work for the Canucks is that there is a small overlap in seasons from April to the end of the playoffs and the first month of the nhl season and preseason in the fall.

could they handle being apart for that time? Harder to do if they start a family during TT’s contract.

Reactions: sting101

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
He's a very intelligent player in the offensive zone but his skating is ehhhhhhhhhh and I'd be incredibly leery about extending him any more than 2 years, or past the age of 30. If he loses a step, he's going to crater hard.

That’s what I thought would happen to Nick Bonino as he aged. The guy skates in pudding, but it just doesn’t matter, because of the hockey IQ. Toffoli is a very smart, crafty offensive talent.

Wouldnt hesitate to give Toffoli a 4 year deal. 5+ years is where you look at passing on an extension IMO.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
He's a very intelligent player in the offensive zone but his skating is ehhhhhhhhhh and I'd be incredibly leery about extending him any more than 2 years, or past the age of 30. If he loses a step, he's going to crater hard.

In addition, we have a little depth in the system on the wing. I could see them arriving at a 4 year deal, and I could also see at least one of those years being an serious anchor.

It will also cost us another free agent of course. Tanev, Madden, a 2nd and a 4th starts to sound really bad doesn't it?

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That’s what I thought would happen to Nick Bonino as he aged. The guy skates in pudding, but it just doesn’t matter, because of the hockey IQ. Toffoli is a very smart, crafty offensive talent.

Wouldnt hesitate to give Toffoli a 4 year deal. 5+ years is where you look at passing on an extension IMO.
At his age of 28 like most ufas he’d want as long a term as possible. Easier to get a high dollar contract covering ages 32-35 when you are 28 than when you are 32.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Since Benning added a conditional pick on whether Toffoli signs or not; that may suggest Benning is confident in resigning him.

I think management has every intent of giving it their best effort to re-sign him. That's seemed pretty evident to me. At this point I would say there's a greater then 50% chance of doing so due to a # of factors - relationship with Pearson, proximity to wife, good situation for him here etc. I believe it was Ray Ferraro who talked about Toffoli being a loyal guy - ie this team wanted me so I want to stick with them kind of thing so that and the other factors give us a leg up on signing him. Let's just hope it's at a price that palatable to the team. With his play as of late IMO he's starting to get into the 6mill plus range which is getting a bit pricey for us. I'm hoping the factors I mentioned above are good for at least for some sort of discount.

Anyhoo - Time will tell but so far the early returns have been very good for us.

Reactions: geebster

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Different style player, different position. And Bonino always has a soft place to land in your bottom-6 because of his defensive ability.

The list of Simmonds and Neals who have cratered out cresting 30 when their skating/motor broke is a long one. And Toffoli has barely been getting to 2nd line production in his age 24-28 years. He doesn't have to fall off much to become a liability, and he was nowhere to land down the lineup when he does.

If there's one Golden Role to signing UFAs, it's that you don't sign 40-50 point 2nd line types to term past the age of 30. It basically never turns out well.

Reactions: sting101

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Posted this in the GDT but posting it here may be better.

Honestly...dealing Boeser in the off season may be the best move if Virtanen can take that next stop forward. Toffoli makes Boeser kind of irrelevant. We dont need two of those types of players on the team. Only one will get pp time.

Keep Boeser and let Toffoli walk...or trade Boeser for a good piece and sign Toffoli?

OR give up another first for someone to take Eriksson and keep both.​
Or how about we keep Boeser and Toffoli and finally have two top 6 RWers for the first time in a decade?

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Why would she stop working for the LA DODGERS to work for whatever leagues we have here
Why would she work at all? If my wife is bringing home 5 million a year. I am only doing what I like whether it involves a paycheck or not. Likely she just kept working out of habit, now is a chance to buid a new reality that reflects that she is multi millionaire. All speculation as it is possible that she is career oriented and just using up vacation time to be with her husband before forcing him back to LA for her job that likely pays 100 times less a year than her husbands. Also, they are likely moving from LA no matter what as LA and Anaheim are not likely spots for him next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad