Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I'm happy to see the grit and that does have some value...but we also need actual defenders that can be relied upon to make good decisions....and with both Myers and Zadorov in the same lineup (not to mention on the same pairing at times), we have a potential calamity in waiting.
Zadorov at least brings actual grit. Actually uses his big body and doesn't lose as many battles. Same low IQ decision making though.

Myers hasn't been gritty until this year, I think it's more team mentality than anything. And let's face it until the Tavares thing the extent of his physicality this year is almost totally poorly timed crosschecks.

With three big old giraffe dudes who seem similar, I really appreciate how much better Soucy is compared to those two.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Apparently Myers is really loved on the roster. Always asking for help in ways to get better. A real student of the game. Foote and Gonchar have really done wonders for Myers game. The chaos giraffe is a lot less chaotic. With Myers living in Kelowna in the off-season, and how much he loves it here. Does anyone else get the feeling Myers will continue being a Canuck at a discounted rate? 6 million was way way too much, but how about a 2.5-3 million dollar Myers?
Never had any doubt he is anything but a good guy in the locker room.

Reactions: oceanchild

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Zadorov at least brings actual grit. Actually uses his big body and doesn't lose as many battles. Same low IQ decision making though.

Myers hasn't been gritty until this year, I think it's more team mentality than anything. And let's face it until the Tavares thing the extent of his physicality this year is almost totally poorly timed crosschecks.

With three big old giraffe dudes who seem similar, I really appreciate how much better Soucy is compared to those two.
Yeah, with Zadorov you can see an actual "mean streak" in him...Myers' physicality is somewhat forced and isn't a natural part of his game. IMO Soucy is probably the best parts of both Myers and Zadorov, if they could both play like Soucy has, I'd never really worry about our D.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Yeah, with Zadorov you can see an actual "mean streak" in him...Myers' physicality is somewhat forced and isn't a natural part of his game. IMO Soucy is probably the best parts of both Myers and Zadorov, if they could both play like Soucy has, I'd never really worry about our D.
Soucy, to my eye, is on a completely different level aa far as hockey IQ goes.

Limited viewing and all that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At least the Canucks got one decent year out of Myers before he leaves in the off-season as a UFA. That's one more decent year than they got out of Louie Eriksson.

Reactions: mossey3535

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
At least the Canucks got one decent year out of Myers before he leaves in the off-season as a UFA. That's one more decent year than they got out of Louie Eriksson.

I would say 2. He was good in OEL’s first year here. Played his way to becoming an asset that the Canucks set a price on.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Soucy, to my eye, is on a completely different level aa far as hockey IQ goes.

Limited viewing and all that.

Yeah...its a tougher evaluation because of his injuries, but he does seem to have a much higher panic threshold than the other guys and makes calm, smart plays.

That is complete opposite of the scouting report Dayal did at the time of signing. Soucy had issues with defence puck retrievals and moving the puck under pressure. He’s not as good as Cole, Myers, and Big Z when it comes to moving the puck up ice.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
That is complete opposite of the scouting report Dayal did at the time of signing. Soucy had issues with defence puck retrievals and moving the puck under pressure. He’s not as good as Cole, Myers, and Big Z when it comes to moving the puck up ice.
Moving the puck up ice…sure, i guess, but i haven’t seen anything to take real issue with. I was speaking more about his ability to defend…he’s more composed and makes better reads than any of those guys in the defensive zone IMO.

Reactions: Nick Lang

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Myers deserves credit for being able to rush the puck but then he gains the zone and just slams it off the boards behind the net or passes to nobody. He's not that productive even in terms of chances when he brings it in. He has improved in terms of actually scoring some goals this year but that just seems good because he hasn't been able to score more than 1 goal for the previous two years.

Reactions: Canucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
According to Cap Friendly, Myers has a full 'no-trade, no move' contract. So the chances of him actually moving at the TDL, are basically nil. So he'll play out this season and then be on the market as a UFA next July 1st.

Hard to say what he'll get......but safe to say it won't be anywhere near the $6m a season he and his agent beat down Benning to secure.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
According to Cap Friendly, Myers has a full 'no-trade, no move' contract. So the chances of him actually moving at the TDL, are basically nil. So he'll play out this season and then be on the market as a UFA next July 1st.

Hard to say what he'll get......but safe to say it won't be anywhere near the $6m a season he and his agent beat down Benning to secure.
He has a “modified NTC”, he can select 10 teams he can refuse to be traded to…he’s not going anywhere, but its not necessarily up to him.

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Myers deserves credit for being able to rush the puck but then he gains the zone and just slams it off the boards behind the net or passes to nobody. He's not that productive even in terms of chances when he brings it in. He has improved in terms of actually scoring some goals this year but that just seems good because he hasn't been able to score more than 1 goal for the previous two years.

It's all relative right? After Hughes and Hronek we don't have anyone else on D who is decidedly better than Myers in terms of producing chances in the offensive zone?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays

giphy.gif

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
If I am his agent, I would be throwing a fit at the NHLPA right now to demand they contest the fine and the major.

It isn't about the money, it's about the rulebook.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
If I am his agent, I would be throwing a fit at the NHLPA right now to demand they contest the fine and the major.

It isn't about the money, it's about the rulebook.
Why? The NHL can go back and look at his elbow and make a determination about a fine/suspension even if it went unpenalized (ie see Trouba's elbow from a couple days ago).

calnuck

Nov 26, 2010
CA
Not a huge fan of him but he has been overall better this year. Hope he’s not out too long.

On the other hand, this is a good window into seeing what this team and defense would look like next year if/ when he’s gone

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Man we need Soucy back. He's a full practice participant but he didn't line up with any of the pairs so I don't think he's in tomorrow. Looks like Friedman is in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad