Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 828275

Nothing hockey related, but seeing a cast on a giraffe makes me wonder why they put down horses with broken legs? Couldn't they be casted too?

Anyway sorry back on topic.

Someone said above "Atleast we'll see what the Canucks defense looks like next year when Myers is gone!" I am not so sure about that statement, I can see Myers back at a discounted price to be honest. He is loved by coaches and management and is apparently willing to come at a discount. Which makes sense because he lives in Kelowna in the off-season and never wanted to leave the Canucks in the first place.

Reactions: sabremike

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Last games fiasco was in many ways a result of Myers being hurt. He struggled through the first but obvioulsy wasn'r right. Then he sat for most of the rest of the way.

Myers has been very good this season and will be missed. Moreover, he has never been as bad as some around here go on about. Over the time he has been here, he has had to play with mostly crap defensemen and on a team with little defensive system. Some of our forwards, for many seasons, were amongst the worse defensive forwards in the League. As a result Myers was being asked to put out too many fires. He got running around basically because he was trying to do too much.

What Myers needs, like any defenseman, is a structured system were your role can be more defined. You need to be able to trust your partner and not have be trying to over-compensate and cover up for him. This is what many posters seemingly can't understand. If you know anything about hockey you know that the it's easy to blame a defenseman when the real problems lay elsewhere. The Canucks were a horrible team defensive team and Myers suffered often shouldering the responsibiities that others should have.

It's frustrating when people who have probably never played or coached hockey go after someone like Myers b/c they don't really understand the game. Then you get the juvenile pile on with all the giraffe stuff.

I think Myers makes too much and needs to get more in the range of what Soucy and others like him gets. But if the Canucks can get him back at something in the 4.5 range its a win for the team. However, he never been as bad as some maintain. What has been bad is the structure of the team and some of the abysmal players he been partnered with over his time in Vancouver.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Good thing Soucy is back soon to anchor that 2nd pair with Cole now that he’s a full participant in practice

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Last games fiasco was in many ways a result of Myers being hurt. He struggled through the first but obvioulsy wasn'r right. Then he sat for most of the rest of the way.

Myers has been very good this season and will be missed. Moreover, he has never been as bad as some around here go on about. Over the time he has been here, he has had to play with mostly crap defensemen and on a team with little defensive system. Some of our forwards, for many seasons, were amongst the worse defensive forwards in the League. As a result Myers was being asked to put out too many fires. He got running around basically because he was trying to do too much.

What Myers needs, like any defenseman, is a structured system were your role can be more defined. You need to be able to trust your partner and not have be trying to over-compensate and cover up for him. This is what many posters seemingly can't understand. If you know anything about hockey you know that the it's easy to blame a defenseman when the real problems lay elsewhere. The Canucks were a horrible team defensive team and Myers suffered often shouldering the responsibiities that others should have.

It's frustrating when people who have probably never played or coached hockey go after someone like Myers b/c they don't really understand the game. Then you get the juvenile pile on with all the giraffe stuff.

I think Myers makes too much and needs to get more in the range of what Soucy and others like him gets. But if the Canucks can get him back at something in the 4.5 range its a win for the team. However, he never been as bad as some maintain. What has been bad is the structure of the team and some of the abysmal players he been partnered with over his time in Vancouver.
I don't know, with Myers I'm always conscious to not shit on him too much because that's our fanbase's tendency but I just don't see any other player in our roster who's good for at least one baffling, costly misplay most nights no matter what way the game is going.

It's tough because this season specially he has done good things consistently you rarely see from a big D-man like carry the puck himself to transition from zone to zone, make aggressive pinches when there's space and fill in as a forward to win battles when players are moving around. But unfortunately there are times where it looks like he's always a second or two behind the play and he's downright unplayable for stretches. Nevermind when he decides to do something aggressively stupid under pressure and ends up taking a game-losing penalty.

Myers doesn't really contribute offensively or defensively enough to justify the glaring problems in his game, even if he does bring certain attributes that are difficult to find. Coaches have to be ready to shelter him and you can't pay a guy like that top 4 money, or even what Soucy earns.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Myers doesn't really contribute offensively or defensively enough to justify the glaring problems in his game, even if he does bring certain attributes that are difficult to find. Coaches have to be ready to shelter him and you can't pay a guy like that top 4 money, or even what Soucy earns.

Don’t disagree with your post but Myers has actually gotten a more consistent top4 role under Tocchet than he had under Green. Talk of sheltering him contradicts reality in that he’s 3rd among Canucks Dmen in even strength minutes and is utilized as a first off the bench PKer.

Reactions: theguardianII

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Don’t disagree with your post but Myers has actually gotten a more consistent top4 role under Tocchet than he had under Green. Talk of sheltering him contradicts reality in that he’s 3rd among Canucks Dmen in even strength minutes and is utilized as a first off the bench PKer.
I don't think he is, or needs to be, sheltered generally, but Myers' ATOI is 2-3 minutes less than his other seasons with the Canucks.
I'd like to have him back, but would want to pay him as a #5 Dman, I guess 3x3.5 at most.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think he is, or needs to be, sheltered generally, but Myers' ATOI is 2-3 minutes less than his other seasons with the Canucks.
I'd like to have him back, but would want to pay him as a #5 Dman, I guess 3x3.5 at most.

I think this is the first season where Myers never played on the first pairing. But I also think he has spent less time on the 3rd pairing as years past. But overall yes his ice time is less than previous years. But he’s been 3rd in ice time most years he’s been here?

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
So much of Myers dissatisfaction in the fan base has to do with BENNING!!!!!!
I always thought getting him was a good deal
BUT
Then Benning did nothing to help the rest of the defence which elevated Myers to a position he was unsuited for. And at that for some reason he never got PP time.

He is no worse than ANY dman on the ice as far as dumb giveaways.
In fact he has less than both Hronek and Hughes.

I don't know, with Myers I'm always conscious to not shit on him too much because that's our fanbase's tendency but I just don't see any other player in our roster who's good for at least one baffling, costly misplay most nights no matter what way the game is going.
There are lots. Boeser for one. If you can even hear his name anytime other than the PP. Just floats around between the blue lines.
But unfortunately there are times where it looks like he's always a second or two behind the play and he's downright unplayable for stretches. Nevermind when he decides to do something aggressively stupid under pressure and ends up taking a game-losing penalty.
Hesitation comes from years of playing with whomever they call up or which side they want him on.

Him and Zadorov were starting to get some real good chemistry together but then for some reason they started using either of those guys to shelter Cole and Juulsen.

Myers and Zadorov went like 15 games allowing only 4 goals against, then the spit, with other baffling changes and the decline of the team.
Myers was always a #3 guy and marginal #2 at best but BENNING had him in the #1 slot and the guy who sheltered all the other rookie and AHL defence they rotated through the team. Why is no fans could see the lack of chemistry with any players?
I think this is the first season where Myers never played on the first pairing. But I also think he has spent less time on the 3rd pairing as years past. But overall yes his ice time is less than previous years. But he’s been 3rd in ice time most years he’s been here?
Bingo. He could be on the 1rst pairing but would need a very good partner. Hughes and him did work out a bit. But it was almost the team didn't want size comparisons. Quinn didn't even come up to his chin. :D

He wants to be here. Even after years of abuse in social media.
Between him and Zadorov there is enough cap space now. Just reverse the contract amounts and adjust for term, clauses and bonuses at no added cost.

I truly think that with Myers (34 yrs old) now and Soucy in the future Zadorov, Hronek and Hughes would make a very solid defence foundation.

Myers is a very good skater and finally getting some offensive chances

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So much of Myers dissatisfaction in the fan base has to do with BENNING!!!!!!
I always thought getting him was a good deal
BUT

Then Benning did nothing to help the rest of the defence which elevated Myers to a position he was unsuited for. And at that for some reason he never got PP time.

He is no worse than ANY dman on the ice as far as dumb giveaways.
In fact he has less than both Hronek and Hughes.

Myers and Zadorov went like 15 games allowing only 4 goals against, then the spit, with other baffling changes and the decline of the team.

Myers was always a #3 guy and marginal #2 at best but BENNING had him in the #1 slot and the guy who sheltered all the other rookie and AHL defence they rotated through the team. Why is no fans could see the lack of chemistry with any players?

Bingo. He could be on the 1rst pairing but would need a very good partner. Hughes and him did work out a bit. But it was almost the team didn't want size comparisons. Quinn didn't even come up to his chin. :D

He wants to be here. Even after years of abuse in social media.
Between him and Zadorov there is enough cap space now. Just reverse the contract amounts and adjust for term, clauses and bonuses at no added cost.

I truly think that with Myers (34 yrs old) now and Soucy in the future Zadorov, Hronek and Hughes would make a very solid defence foundation.

Myers is a very good skater and finally getting some offensive chances
You were in the minority if you thought the Myers acquisition was a good score in 2019..I was on the fence with it..The amount of posters who were on the fence with it, or hated it..were neck and neck :):)

I would agree with you that JB couldn't get the D right..Some of the D men he brought in were actually good players (like Nate Schmidt), but they were always pieces that didnt fit/ compliment the other players...Myers was a bit of a victim of this ,..Myers is a tall, rangy PMD, not really a bona fide shutdown D, and was put in a lot of situations to fail.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don’t think the team has recovered from the loss of Tanev. That really was a shitty offseason that set the team back.

This team could really use a prime Edler and Tanev pairing to combine with Hughes and Hronek.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I will never be convinced that his tenure in Vancouver was successful.
Hated the signing when the rumors were floating that it was gonna happen

Now according to Dhaliwal they want to bring him back.
You want to bring him back on a retirement deal?

Nightmare scenario in my opinion.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

His overall tenure hasn't been successful but he's provided value (if not $6 million in value) when playing for a strong coach with a strong system in Tocchet.

Reactions: mossey3535

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023

Depends on the price. Depends on what happens with Hronek, Zadorov and Cole. Myers is more than fine at 3 x 3. Hronek is the wild card and to a lesser extent Big Z. There are decent replacements out there in Tanev and Dillon. Hronek is a valuable trade chip if he wants too much. He’s a legit top pairing guy that can run a PP and he plays decent defence.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Myers will get 'overpaid' by somebody on July 1st.....teams out there are desperate for size on their blueline, and he's a right-shot defender to boot.

So I really doubt he'd accept a 'team friendly deal' to come back to the Canucks. In fact if this was a 'normal season' for the Canucks, Myers is an impending UFA's who'd be a trade piece at Friday's TDL.

Even with his salary, he'd still generate a mid-round draft pick coming the other way. But this year, the Canucks will need him in the playoffs.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Myers will get 'overpaid' by somebody on July 1st.....teams out there are desperate for size on their blueline, and he's a right-shot defender to boot.

So I really doubt he'd accept a 'team friendly deal' to come back to the Canucks. In fact if this was a 'normal season' for the Canucks, Myers is an impending UFA's who'd be a trade piece at Friday's TDL.

Even with his salary, he'd still generate a mid-round draft pick coming the other way. But this year, the Canucks will need him in the playoffs.
If you read between the lines here, his agent is basically saying that he's willing to take a team friendly deal to play in his home province...Again, he's made over $64M in career earnings.

Reactions: Grantham

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
His overall tenure hasn't been successful but he's provided value (if not $6 million in value) when playing for a strong coach with a strong system in Tocchet.
Yeah, I agree. He's been horrible for most of his deal but he's been fine this season. Think the team should be aiming higher and upgrading the second pairing, but if they can't then bringing him back on a hometown discount for depth is fine relative to what else is out there.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
He will sign 2 years 6 mill which would be very fair for him. Would be happy to have him that at that price.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think it's overstating what amounts to maybe a 40 game stint this season where he was basically serviceable? And then one ok season with OEL where they basically didn't suck? For $6M a season?

He's just not steady enough anywhere at anything to be brought back even at $3M. The team should have many more priorities than Myers, And he's never produced at either end enough to justify his position.

Like if you tell me that $3M will go towards re-signing Blueger or Joshua or somebody like that, hell no.

Plus if you look at how he plays the game shift to shift you can see the system is sheltering him. He just anticipates plays that never happen, or he telegraphs what he's going to do so obviously that the other team just takes advantage. He just makes so many mental mistakes but team defence has limited the consequences of those mistakes.

It's time to move on. Myers is like the personfication of the up and down misery of the last 8 years. Objectively, would he be a bottom pair defenceman on Boston or Colorado? No, and if we have Cup aspirations there's no way we should bring him back.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If Myers is willing to sign a team freindly deal and play like he has this year, all the ridicule must stop. I will assume this ridicule is coming from posters who mask thier dislike of the Canucks to be able to come here and dump on the players - like Johnny Canuck does.

A big, second level, right hand defenseman with experience, and is glue in the dressing room, is important to any team in the League.

Reactions: ferroid

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
Although the chaos moments still happen from time to time, for the most part he's been a solid #3 for 2 out of the past 3 seasons. A right handed #3/4 who can play on a shutdown pair effectively would have considerable interest around the league as a free agent. If he's willing to sign at a discount for a reasonable term then there would be no reason to turn him down.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Guys, he will be 35 next season...we worry about Cole who is exactly one year older. And he doesn't have the pedigree that Cole has. He could easily drop off MORE of a cliff any season now.

It's not ridicule, he makes a ton of bad decisions and has continuously done so. Sure he looks relatively decent because the team is much better at team defence. But why would we bring someone with such a spotty record back? Allvin and co need to do their jobs and improve the team on the back-end, not retread a guy who wasn't that good to begin with.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah I've really come around on Myers this year. He had me pulling out my hair last year.

I'd gladly welcome a team friendly deal to bring back the friendly giant. Actually he can be quite awesome to see when he's mad :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad