Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

lawrence

May 19, 2012
oh its been a failuire but you have to admit, this season is one of his best seasons with us. Gonchar and Foote really helped his game adn Juulsen. Not that I say bring him back. If its low enough I'm ok with it.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Guys, he will be 35 next season...we worry about Cole who is exactly one year older. And he doesn't have the pedigree that Cole has. He could easily drop off MORE of a cliff any season now.

It's not ridicule, he makes a ton of bad decisions and has continuously done so. Sure he looks relatively decent because the team is much better at team defence. But why would we bring someone with such a spotty record back? Allvin and co need to do their jobs and improve the team on the back-end, not retread a guy who wasn't that good to begin with.

i think with Luke Schenn (same draft year) signing 2.7 per year for 3 years, last year, than I won't be surprised if JP Barry is having that kind of starting point, thats if Myers wants to get the most out of possibily his last major contract, (and he has every right to do that) but that will be too much for me at this point. If we win a stanley cup, of course, that will be a different story, but yea. he's not priority signiing right now.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Doesn't matter if fans want to move on it's pretty clear he's staying, probably finishing his career here.

3x3 my best guess, but I'd hope something that starts with a 2 for the sake of the teams competitiveness, and given his current contract.

Chaos Giraffe

Dec 1, 2004
Vancouver
i think with Luke Schenn (same draft year) signing 2.7 per year for 3 years, last year, than I won't be surprised if JP Barry is having that kind of starting point, thats if Myers wants to get the most out of possibily his last major contract, (and he has every right to do that) but that will be too much for me at this point. If we win a stanley cup, of course, that will be a different story, but yea. he's not priority signiing right now.

100% agree

I hope the Canucks don't make the same mistake as the Predators did with Schenn. The guy isn't worth 2.75m TODAY, let alone for another 2 years.

I don't mind the Giraffe on the roster, but he needs to be a 3rd pairing guy making 3rd pairing money. Offer him a 2x2m or a 1x2.5m and call it a day.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Guys, he will be 35 next season...we worry about Cole who is exactly one year older. And he doesn't have the pedigree that Cole has. He could easily drop off MORE of a cliff any season now.

It's not ridicule, he makes a ton of bad decisions and has continuously done so. Sure he looks relatively decent because the team is much better at team defence. But why would we bring someone with such a spotty record back? Allvin and co need to do their jobs and improve the team on the back-end, not retread a guy who wasn't that good to begin with.
You make sense a lot of the time, but not here

Say he could drop off MORE. Like he dropped off this season and will drop off even more next season? And this in the face of some of the worse Myers haters conceding he's had a good year to date?. Even you begrudingly admit he's had a few "good stints" this year and has been "relatively decent". In fact, he has been solid near all season and the Canucks have been at their best when Myers has combined with Soucy or Zadorov to from a very good shut down pairing.

And there have been times, in the past, like during the first month or so after Boudreau arrived, when Myers was excellent. And like I've said elsewhere he's had to play with utterly garbage defensemen and terrible defensive forwards during most of his time with the team.

I don't think this player has chance with you. He could have excellent game and you look for some glitch in his play. There are times when I have given Myers a miserable rating and I am not adverse to pointing faults in his play. And I concede he is overpaid. (which is not his fault). I believe that he was playing as bad as you suggest, I'd be objective enough to agree with you.

However, I doubt you do this on the other side.

In the end, there is really little to resolve this difference in viewing Myers. Talking about stats never gets anywhere and it comes down to little more than eye-balling him. I try to bring a open mind to this but I just don't see you and others making even an attempt to see any any good in him.

I think Tocchet and Allvin disagree with you (as I think they should) and do see value. Also they see signing him at a cap friendly number as a good move. If he was dropping off a cliff as you say then your assessment about re-signing him would have merit . But instead he has stepped up better this year. And there is no guarantee that we can just pick up someone in free agency to replace him on the right side.

Also talking a player's personal appearance is a very low ball form of criticism. And I've seen plenty of this type of nasty and immature (under the guise of funny) ridicule on this site. Noone should be proud of that. Harsh criticism sure, but leave the personal stuff out. If you say there is no ridicule going on, you must be skipping a lot posts.

Reactions: mathonwy

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I dislike Tyler Myers deployment more than I dislike Tyler Myers...he's not terrible, he's just not a good defender and when the team feeds him 1st unit PK duty I lose my mind...if you want to give him special teams minutes, and I'm not sure why you would unless it was because there was absolutely nobody else, put him on the 2nd PP unit. He should not get a sniff of PK time. He doesnt block shots well, he doesn't know when to sit back and when to be aggressive, for a big guy he doesn't box people out well and he's not nearly consistent enough with the physical play. He is what he is, he's #4 or #5 defenseman and they play him as a #3 and pay him as a #2. I'd rather move on from him because I don't trust that he's going to be used any differently if he were back next season.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Soucy took Myers minutes tonight and the team looked massively improved.

He needs to worry about being out of the lineup long enough for people to realize what a non-Juulsen alternative looks like.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Had some good stretches during the season. If he wants to...he could probably fetch a 4 year 20 mil contract this summer. Hopefully not here though...

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I'd prefer to move on from Myers unless he's offering a super team friendly deal at one year term. With the OEL penalty kicking in harder after next season we will need cap space. I know Myers is big and a RHD which fits the needs of the organization but he's too much of a double edged sword. Someone with less impressive tools but can play a simple, reliable game would have ripple effects. It it's Tanev or Myers I'm choosing Tanev for sure.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Every time Myers strings together a few good games and you start thinking "wow he's getting steady now" he has a string of stinkers that remind you the guy just unravels when games get fast and sweaty. It's not a surprise he's looked on average better under Tocchet because the team finally learned to play low event hockey when needed but he's absolutely not a guy you can allocate a significant amount of your cap to and expect good things when he has to step up.

Having Zadarov on the team really puts Myers' chaos into perspective. Z himself is also prone to making mistakes and taking bad penalties, but he's just outright the better and more impactful player with consistent physicality and ability to move up the puck. Pretty rate you see Z get burned out of being too slow at reading the play or making a decision, as Myers is often guilty of.

Even then, people here are skeptical of giving Zadarov term or more than 4M. So the only reason you'd even think of retaining Myers is because he's an RHD. The Juulsen training arc shows that maybe, being a big right-handed shot doesn't entitle you to a bag because with good coaching, someone else will step up.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
You make sense a lot of the time, but not here

Say he could drop off MORE. Like he dropped off this season and will drop off even more next season? And this in the face of some of the worse Myers haters conceding he's had a good year to date?. Even you begrudingly admit he's had a few "good stints" this year and has been "relatively decent". In fact, he has been solid near all season and the Canucks have been at their best when Myers has combined with Soucy or Zadorov to from a very good shut down pairing.

And there have been times, in the past, like during the first month or so after Boudreau arrived, when Myers was excellent. And like I've said elsewhere he's had to play with utterly garbage defensemen and terrible defensive forwards during most of his time with the team.

I don't think this player has chance with you. He could have excellent game and you look for some glitch in his play. There are times when I have given Myers a miserable rating and I am not adverse to pointing faults in his play. And I concede he is overpaid. (which is not his fault). I believe that he was playing as bad as you suggest, I'd be objective enough to agree with you.

However, I doubt you do this on the other side.

In the end, there is really little to resolve this difference in viewing Myers. Talking about stats never gets anywhere and it comes down to little more than eye-balling him. I try to bring a open mind to this but I just don't see you and others making even an attempt to see any any good in him.

I think Tocchet and Allvin disagree with you (as I think they should) and do see value. Also they see signing him at a cap friendly number as a good move. If he was dropping off a cliff as you say then your assessment about re-signing him would have merit . But instead he has stepped up better this year. And there is no guarantee that we can just pick up someone in free agency to replace him on the right side.

Also talking a player's personal appearance is a very low ball form of criticism. And I've seen plenty of this type of nasty and immature (under the guise of funny) ridicule on this site. Noone should be proud of that. Harsh criticism sure, but leave the personal stuff out. If you say there is no ridicule going on, you must be skipping a lot posts.

Didn't see this until now. I usually respect your opinion but the guys just keeps playing poorly. His play makes my arguments for me.

We were a much better defensive team this year overall, it made him look better than he was in previous years where team play couldn't mask his deficiencies. He hasn't stopped making bad decisions and bad reads.

I've given him credit plenty of times. But his play-to-play mistakes don't seem to have improved and now this recent stretch has once again confirmed what is a pretty accurate overall assessment of this guy.

Just because he had an somewhat acceptable year doesn't mean we should be re-signing this guy. And age can easily make a player much worse, very quickly.

Reactions: B-rock and Canucker

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
He had a few iffy moments lastnite but he really played well overall..

If this is playoff Myers we could and should lock him up for 1 year contracts at a team friendly cap hit.

1 year x 3 M until his play really falls off a cliff.

Reactions: theguardianII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad