Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After six long seasons, the Canucks are finally in a position where Myers can fit in and be effective.

Pundits and hockey scouts told Benning that he wasn't a top-four d-man. But Jethro knew best. And bestowed a ridiculous contract on him that he could never really live up to.

But now he's dropped down the lineup and paired with Zadorov, they might be the most effective 5-6 d-pairing in the league. Obviously his tenure with the Canucks is winding down, unless he's willing to take a serious hair-cut on a shorter term contract.

But it's good to see him finally fit in effectively, and looks to having fun playing hockey again. From all reports he's a stand-up guy, and you wish him well wherever his career takes him next season.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
8d3s8g.jpg
Would've been amazing if he landed flush and put Tavares on his ass

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
After six long seasons, the Canucks are finally in a position where Myers can fit in and be effective.

Pundits and hockey scouts told Benning that he wasn't a top-four d-man. But Jethro knew best. And bestowed a ridiculous contract on him that he could never really live up to.

But now he's dropped down the lineup and paired with Zadorov, they might be the most effective 5-6 d-pairing in the league. Obviously his tenure with the Canucks is winding down, unless he's willing to take a serious hair-cut on a shorter term contract.

But it's good to see him finally fit in effectively, and looks to having fun playing hockey again. From all reports he's a stand-up guy, and you wish him well wherever his career takes him next season.

You wrote this after a game in which Myers logged the most minutes of any player on the Canucks? :huh:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Seen this before...Myers has had spells of solid play throughout his time in Vancouver, but he has never been able to sustain it longer than about 15-20 games...his game is too erratic to be relied upon in any meaningful way. If he's in our top 4 (and a mainstay on the PK) come playoff time, my bet is that he will be a key factor in our downfall. I'm happy he's playing better right now, but it's likely to come to an end soon.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Seen this before...Myers has had spells of solid play throughout his time in Vancouver, but he has never been able to sustain it longer than about 15-20 games...his game is too erratic to be relied upon in any meaningful way. If he's in our top 4 (and a mainstay on the PK) come playoff time, my bet is that he will be a key factor in our downfall. I'm happy he's playing better right now, but it's likely to come to an end soon.

Absolutely. One thing that is different from previous good stretches is that the team has guys like Foote and Gonchar which may help him get out of bad stretches faster. I've said it before - no way I thought he would be resigned but at this point it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was. RHD are in short supply, Myers knows the system, appears to play well with Soucy and is playing 19 min a night on one of the best teams in the league. I think if he wants to stay for say 2.75M AAV the team will resign him.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Absolutely. One thing that is different from previous good stretches is that the team has guys like Foote and Gonchar which may help him get out of bad stretches faster. I've said it before - no way I thought he would be resigned but at this point it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was. RHD are in short supply, Myers knows the system, appears to play well with Soucy and is playing 19 min a night on one of the best teams in the league. I think if he wants to stay for say 2.75M AAV the team will resign him.

It wouldn't surprise me if he were re-signed, but it would certainly disappoint me...even at $2.75m. If he were a bottom pairing defenseman that would be one thing (and an expensive thing at $2.75m), but he'd likely still be in our top 4, and probably still on the PK...probably have to get used to the idea but not looking forward to it.

• Love
Reactions: mossey3535

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
This is how I feel too. You just know he's gonna go full chaos giraffe in the most crucial game of the year

I think the coaches are partially at fault here as well as they do very little to mitigate his negative impact...they simply throw him out there no matter the situation. I get that the options are very limited, but he's the last guy I send out there in the last minute of play when we're up a goal or killing a penalty. He's just not a solid defender.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He’s going to go full chaos again without souchy.

He was doing fine with vassal his line mate.

souchy gets hurt myers struggles until we traded for Zadorov and he starts to play better again.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He’s going to go full chaos again without souchy.

He was doing fine with vassal his line mate.

souchy gets hurt myers struggles until we traded for Zadorov and he starts to play better again.

I am hoping that things would be different this time. Myers is really more at home as a #4/#5 on a good team where a mistake doesn't result in a goals against. He is at his worst when he's used as a first pairing Dman or Dman who is expected to primarily shoulder the defensive load. He also needs a good defensive partner.

In the past Myers with Enstrom, and Myers (at some points) with Edler and OEL has had success. Myers is what he is at this point though. He can't be the primary shutdown defenseman in a pairing as he's naturally better when he's using his skating to carry the puck up ice or go on the attack. At the same time you want him to play a simpler game and use his size and reach. It's a difficult balance to achieve but either way, I think you put him with a good partner. You're better off having him play 19-22 minutes with a good partner than a more limited role on a 3rd pairing with a lesser partner.

Reactions: Canucker

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I am hoping that things would be different this time. Myers is really more at home as a #4/#5 on a good team where a mistake doesn't result in a goals against. He is at his worst when he's used as a first pairing Dman or Dman who is expected to primarily shoulder the defensive load. He also needs a good defensive partner.

In the past Myers with Enstrom, and Myers (at some points) with Edler and OEL has had success. Myers is what he is at this point though. He can't be the primary shutdown defenseman in a pairing as he's naturally better when he's using his skating to carry the puck up ice or go on the attack. At the same time you want him to play a simpler game and use his size and reach. It's a difficult balance to achieve but either way, I think you put him with a good partner. You're better off having him play 19-22 minutes with a good partner than a more limited role on a 3rd pairing with a lesser partner.
No hes a 5-6 because he cant be relied on as a shutdown guy which is what 2nd pairs on good teams are. He is a 10-15 minute player because he is the lesser on whatever pair he plays on. He shouldve been converted to a forward 10 years ago but he plays the holy grail of positions as RD. He is fine on the other end of the red line and very suspect and prone to every mistake in his own end.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

Maybe so, but he needs to be off the PK and not put into roles where he's counted on in high pressure defensive situations against top offensive lines...he has very little to no ability to read plays defensively...he doesn't know when to pressure or to back off and gets burned far too easily.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
No hes a 5-6 because he cant be relied on as a shutdown guy which is what 2nd pairs on good teams are. He is a 10-15 minute player because he is the lesser on whatever pair he plays on. He shouldve been converted to a forward 10 years ago but he plays the holy grail of positions as RD. He is fine on the other end of the red line and very suspect and prone to every mistake in his own end.

I disagree and so does the coaching staff. He's clearly a legitimate NHL RHD. Distance yourself from his contract and who acquired him and see the actual player we have.

Maybe so, but he needs to be off the PK and not put into roles where he's counted on in high pressure defensive situations against top offensive lines...he has very little to no ability to read plays defensively...he doesn't know when to pressure or to back off and gets burned far too easily.

And who is the alternative? The Canucks utilize two PK pairings. Juulsen if he's in the lineup is the only RHD on the roster besides Hronek and Myers. Zadorov doesn't have a good track record of being a PKer either. The Canucks do not have a top 10 PK and I don't think Myers is the problem. I'm all for upgrading the PK and heck try Juulsen but I don't see Myers being the one guy to single out on the PK as being a problem.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
And who is the alternative? The Canucks utilize two PK pairings. Juulsen if he's in the lineup is the only RHD on the roster besides Hronek and Myers. Zadorov doesn't have a good track record of being a PKer either. The Canucks do not have a top 10 PK and I don't think Myers is the problem. I'm all for upgrading the PK and heck try Juulsen but I don't see Myers being the one guy to single out on the PK as being a problem.
I’ll disagree with you there…Myers may not be the only problem on the PK, but he is a problem…he’s just not good. He just doesn’t defend well…at all.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I’ll disagree with you there…Myers may not be the only problem on the PK, but he is a problem…he’s just not good. He just doesn’t defend well…at all.
He doesn’t but he’s also a giraffe that can skate, doesn’t get injured and can take on two regular sized players at the same time.

Our blue line has never been more gritty than right now. Leafs didn’t have answer and Tavares almost got ktfo. (I’m glad Myers missed tbh).

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
He doesn’t but he’s also a giraffe that can skate, doesn’t get injured and can take on two regular sized players at the same time.

Our blue line has never been more gritty than right now. Leafs didn’t have answer and Tavares almost got ktfo. (I’m glad Myers missed tbh).

I'm happy to see the grit and that does have some value...but we also need actual defenders that can be relied upon to make good decisions....and with both Myers and Zadorov in the same lineup (not to mention on the same pairing at times), we have a potential calamity in waiting.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Apparently Myers is really loved on the roster. Always asking for help in ways to get better. A real student of the game. Foote and Gonchar have really done wonders for Myers game. The chaos giraffe is a lot less chaotic. With Myers living in Kelowna in the off-season, and how much he loves it here. Does anyone else get the feeling Myers will continue being a Canuck at a discounted rate? 6 million was way way too much, but how about a 2.5-3 million dollar Myers?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Apparently Myers is really loved on the roster. Always asking for help in ways to get better. A real student of the game. Foote and Gonchar have really done wonders for Myers game. The chaos giraffe is a lot less chaotic. With Myers living in Kelowna in the off-season, and how much he loves it here. Does anyone else get the feeling Myers will continue being a Canuck at a discounted rate? 6 million was way way too much, but how about a 2.5-3 million dollar Myers?
I'd still pass on bringing back Myers unless it's for 6/7 money. His lows are just too catastrophic when they happen and he'll be in the mid-30s this offseason. Really don't want him penciled into the lineup without being able to swap him out as needed.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
If his play doesnt drop off and he has a strong playoffs that shows him upping the physicality (like he's done before in the post season), then i'd give him 1x$1.75M
We have three NHL bound D-prospects. dont give him more than a year

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
I am very sure that if he plays like he currently is (e.g. maple leafs game), we will be in big trouble come playoff time. I don't see him capable of improving at all. His sharpness is not there.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I certainly hope so; for that money he's a good deal and as an added bonus the haters will lose their minds...

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

I mean, you could say the same thing about JT Miller as a defensive 1C/2C option. He could get torched at exactly the wrong time. Let the team down. Doubly so for Hughes. Or Hronek. Etc... Only Pettersson, Cole, Soucy and Suter instill a sense of mistake free hockey.

If the team gets him at $3m/1yr, full NMC, they should re-sign him. He's a big, jack-of-all-trades RHD. I'm definitely not a fan of his, but they could do far worse. Losing out on Bear changes the calculus as well.

For the PK, I think Aman and Lafferty need to be better, and Demko steadier in that context. That should pay dividends moving forward. I don't see Myers as being any worse than Hronek on the PK/defensemen may not be the issue there.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I mean, you could say the same thing about JT Miller as a defensive 1C/2C option. He could get torched at exactly the wrong time. Let the team down. Doubly so for Hughes. Or Hronek. Etc... Only Pettersson, Cole, Soucy and Suter instill a sense of mistake free hockey.

If the team gets him at $3m/1yr, full NMC, they should re-sign him. He's a big, jack-of-all-trades RHD. I'm definitely not a fan of his, but they could do far worse. Losing out on Bear changes the calculus as well.

For the PK, I think Aman and Lafferty need to be better, and Demko steadier in that context. That should pay dividends moving forward. I don't see Myers as being any worse than Hronek on the PK/defensemen may not be the issue there.
Anyone can get torched at any particular time, I just see it happening to Myers more so than anyone else (although Zadorov might give him a run of late)...I don't believe my expectations are too high for him, I don't expect mistake free hockey...I just happen to see a shit ton of mistakes from him (less now than earlier in the year). I don't ever feel concerned with Hughes and Hronek on the ice, and Soucy...Cole has moments where I get cringy, but its pretty rare.

I know people's opinions of him will vary, but the only way I see a good outcome with bringing Myers back is if he is brought back on the cheap and is paired with someone who is a solid #3 who can take away any specialty team minutes from him, IMO he can't be on either of our PK units...he is just not good at it. He's been a mainstay on our PK since the time he signed here...the last 2 years, when our PK was historically bad, he led the team in SH TOI/gm...and its not just the numbers, isolate and watch him...he doesn't box out players, he doesn't block shots well, he gets too aggressive and baited out of position, for a big guy he far too often gets overpowered. I think he has far more utility on the PP2 than anything he could ever provide the PK units. I'm not really a fan of Hronek (or Zadorov) on the PK either, but between the two I'll take Hronek in a heartbeat...but to be honest, our defense really needs to be bolstered with some good actual defenders.

• Love

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad