Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Myers is another guy who looks like a different player under Boudreau. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if at least a few of the UFA and trade flops in VanCity weren't the result of the 'system' they were forced to play under Green.

I can't think a single guy other than maybe Hughes, Miller or Horvat who hasn't seen their game fall off the table in the last couple of years.

Reactions: David71

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Myers is another guy who looks like a different player under Boudreau. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if at least a few of the UFA and trade flops in VanCity weren't the result of the 'system' they were forced to play under Green.

I can't think a single guy other than maybe Hughes, Miller or Horvat who hasn't seen their game fall off the table in the last couple of years.
There’s a reason a lot of players have looked better after leaving Van.

Green was a terrible coach who didn’t know what he was doing. Then got pissed off when you questioned him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It's an interesting take, if the cap had gone up $5-6 million the past couple of seasons, people wouldn't be talking about Myers' salary much anymore, because guys like Hamilton/Jones would have gotten $10-11 mil+ at free agency
For some reason, $6m is still the threshold in most peoples' minds for a "high-paid" player, and I think it's because that's what the top players (like Naslund) were making when the cap was $39 million when the lockout first happened. It's like a mental block.
While I think there is slightly something here. $6m was the highest paid blueliner on the roster last season and the year prior and was top 30ish in the league.

It’s wild to me $6m was seen as blasphemy to Markstrom though for the same reason you suggested Myers is measure too much versus his salary.

The problem with not factoring in salary for players is this is a capped league. What their caphit is matters significantly. It also neglects that how much he’s paid cuts into how You can pay others. Myers’ $6m cost them Tanev+.

Myers is at his best as a #5.

Reactions: MarkMM

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
While I think there is slightly something here. $6m was the highest paid blueliner on the roster last season and the year prior and was top 30ish in the league.

It’s wild to me $6m was seen as blasphemy to Markstrom though for the same reason you suggested Myers is measure too much versus his salary.

The problem with not factoring in salary for players is this is a capped league. What their caphit is matters significantly. It also neglects that how much he’s paid cuts into how You can pay others. Myers’ $6m cost them Tanev+.

Myers is at his best as a #5.
I'm certainly not arguing that Myers was overpaid but to add some thoughts to the point you were responding to.

Contractually a 29-33 timeline is more attractive than 31-34 and 31-36 to players that had struggled with injuries

The Covid free agents of 2020 definitely took some massive haircuts in relation to UFAs of seasons past as well as the stagnant cap which had a huge impact on forward looking contracts overall. Teams like the Leafs were devastated by the lack of upward movement that was expected.

Lastly there is a UFA tax that teams almost always have to pay to outbid or at least compete with offers that come to the players agents in negotiations. While teams are getting much better at not getting reckless it still comes with a cost to add players that can play big minutes and important roles when you cannot fill them from within. Tanev and Marky in a normal year would have gotten more money as would have many others. We already saw this summer a fairly big swing back to free agents getting paid big.

Your point about overpaying and how it effects the roster and ability to sign or retain others is spot on and i mostly agree about him ideally being a 5 given some of his consistency issues but fact is he has never ever been less than a 4 at any point in his career and having a Salo type situation where you have a career 4 playing as a 5 is rare especially given todays RFAs getting bigger pieces of the pie sooner than in the past. In terms of salary thinking he should get paid as a 5 is outrageous given his leverage and past performance/role. I would suggest if he was making 3.75 - 4.25 nobody would bat an eye about his cost.

Lets just hope he can maintain the way he's playing this season mostly because TM with OEL has been a good 2nd pair defense and the way he's skating and negating some of his past performances is boding well for the 2yrs remaining after this one. With upward moving cap it may not be a huge problem but absolutely it's a hindrance.

Reactions: Orr4Norris

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Myers still makes blunders now and then but he makes a lot fewer errors compared to two years ago. He has a positive corsi rating and isnt a net (-) negative player... *shrugs* if we were a 15-11 team instead of the reverse, i'd imagine his numbers would look even better. We have much bigger problems than Myers. Imagine if he was steadily getting worse with that contract... that's scary. The fact he's settling down is very good for us.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm certainly not arguing that Myers was overpaid but to add some thoughts to the point you were responding to.

Contractually a 29-33 timeline is more attractive than 31-34 and 31-36 to players that had struggled with injuries

The Covid free agents of 2020 definitely took some massive haircuts in relation to UFAs of seasons past as well as the stagnant cap which had a huge impact on forward looking contracts overall. Teams like the Leafs were devastated by the lack of upward movement that was expected.

Lastly there is a UFA tax that teams almost always have to pay to outbid or at least compete with offers that come to the players agents in negotiations. While teams are getting much better at not getting reckless it still comes with a cost to add players that can play big minutes and important roles when you cannot fill them from within. Tanev and Marky in a normal year would have gotten more money as would have many others. We already saw this summer a fairly big swing back to free agents getting paid big.

Your point about overpaying and how it effects the roster and ability to sign or retain others is spot on and i mostly agree about him ideally being a 5 given some of his consistency issues but fact is he has never ever been less than a 4 at any point in his career and having a Salo type situation where you have a career 4 playing as a 5 is rare especially given todays RFAs getting bigger pieces of the pie sooner than in the past. In terms of salary thinking he should get paid as a 5 is outrageous given his leverage and past performance/role. I would suggest if he was making 3.75 - 4.25 nobody would bat an eye about his cost.

Lets just hope he can maintain the way he's playing this season mostly because TM with OEL has been a good 2nd pair defense and the way he's skating and negating some of his past performances is boding well for the 2yrs remaining after this one. With upward moving cap it may not be a huge problem but absolutely it's a hindrance.
He’s been a 3rd pair at 5 on 5 player previously. The best Canucks team he was on that’s where he played. I believe he was also that in Winnipeg his Final season.

He’s been decently ok his whole time here but his presence as the $6m (top RHS) dman is and has been a big handicap on allocating the right money to the roster. Covid certainly exacerbated that.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
Myers has decent to good overall. If he does finish his contract here, I’d be ok with resigning him for a more manageable cap hit and have him as third paint guy. He lives inKelowna oof season, doesn’t he?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think Myers improved play has much to do with a 'new coach bounce'. He just seems more comfortable playing within the system they're employing now and knowing that his defense partner is going to make the right read and the right play 90 percent of the time.

Myers problems usually started when he was running around trying to cover up for someone else. The guy played 25 minutes tonight against the 'Canes and was the Canucks premier shutdown d-man, and also picked up an assist on the Pettersson goal with an opportunistic rush up the ice.

Sometimes you have to rub your eyes in disbelief that this is actually the same player.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he's been a workhorse. since he's been here under green usually myers flops around and doesn't use his size enough. but with shaw in charge and under boudreau, he's a bit better. playing 25+mins a night with OEL out.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Myers level of play has fluctuated so wildly game to game in his time here, and usually I feel you can tell if he’s on or not in his first couple of shifts. He’s had a couple of stretches like this where he strings a few games together but I’m programmed to expect a drop off in the next couple of games. He’ll serve a pizza on his first or second shift and I’ll just let out the sigh of parent who has just watched their kid pee all over the toilet after a week of careful aim.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

Lol Green is not a generational bad coach. Just average

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
so myers immediately turning into a passable top four guy under good coaching begs the question, could eriksson have contributed something here? brandon sutter? hell, gudbranson or sbisa?

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Still not seeing the great play everyone else seems to be talking about, but perhaps some other gms are seeing it and considering the possibility of a trade. Turning myers into a TDL would be great. Maybe get some picks or prospects off of and playoff team. Maybe Boston, Dallas or Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Lonny Bohonos

AzNightmare

Unregistered User
May 11, 2011
so myers immediately turning into a passable top four guy under good coaching begs the question, could eriksson have contributed something here? brandon sutter? hell, gudbranson or sbisa?

Eriksson is still not contributing much in Arizona... so I'll say probably no.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know if it's significant.....but Edler was the Kings leading point-getter from the back end and from all reports was playing like the stud he was a decade ago, before he went down with injury. And Schmidt has been reborn in Winnipeg.

In Vancouver, they both struggled mightily on a lot of nights and looked like they just didn't have the footspeed any more. And Chatfield looked decent last night as an injury fill-in on the Canes blueline, certainly far better than he ever looked in a Canucks uniform last season.

It's too bad Rathbone is injured. I'd love to see him get a shot playing Boudreau's system. He just got ground down playing under Green, like a lot of d-men and needs a re-set.

The bottom line for blueliners, is that if the guy next you isn't doing his job or you have no idea where the forwards are going to be from shift to shift, you can look awfully bad in a hurry.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
There’s a reason a lot of players have looked better after leaving Van.

Green was a terrible coach who didn’t know what he was doing. Then got pissed off when you questioned him.
Curious to see if/when Green gets another stab at another team. See if he has any success elsewhere. His tactics didn’t age well with our group but maybe will work for another?

But it’s nice to see that Bruce is getting more out of most of our players. Maybe bodes will for trading some (Myers etc) vs being at a point of weakness (ala Benning).

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
how about willie desjardins

Travis Green had a worse points percentage as a Canucks coach than Willie D. It's hard to compare the quality of the rosters as they varied so much during their tenures, but the fact that in Willie D's last season the Canucks' best players were still the about-to-retire Sedins and Horvat indicates that he didn't have much to work with.

Reactions: Nucker101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad