Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Myers has played well this season rhd always make bank and add the hit on Keith was worth a bonus )

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Myers has played well this season rhd always make bank and add the hit on Keith was worth a bonus )
he's been "ok" and it's probably the best he's played for us in two years since the start of 19-20.

however, that level of player still looks like he's weighing down OEL to me.

with dhaliwal's suggestion that Hamonic is in town all of a sudden, and assuming there's a chance he comes back, I think they're finally going to have the "aha" moment where they realize there's no value paying Myers $6MM to be a bottom pair defenseman now that they finally have a capable replacement in house for that guy. (genuinely believe they have no confidence in replacing players from out of house without overpaying)

like, would you rather have Burroughs or Myers factoring in salaries? It's no question to me. there's also no question to me that they could get out of this contract.

look at the rhd that play top like 18+ minutes that are expiring this year (RFA and UFA)

letang, jones, fox, parayko, mcavoy, pulock, murphy, colin miller (lol), stralman, PK, Manson, ristolainen, braun, bear, pysyk

the bolded already got extensions. ristolainen - who everyone knows f***ing sucks - was traded for a huge package.

letang, subban, stralman, braun, manson, psysk are all already or going to be 30+ by onset of their new contract so these guys not having a deal yet isn't surprising

leaves, what, 29 y/o colin miller, ristolainen, and ethan bear as the only u30 RHS guys (who play significant minutes) without a contract next season?

Market is extremely bare.

Edit: Pulock and his agent probably could have gotten at least 8 million in the summer. Really questionable decision.

Reactions: MarkMM and F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
he's been "ok" and it's probably the best he's played for us in two years since the start of 19-20.

however, that level of player still looks like he's weighing down OEL to me.

with dhaliwal's suggestion that Hamonic is in town all of a sudden, and assuming there's a chance he comes back, I think they're finally going to have the "aha" moment where they realize there's no value paying Myers $6MM to be a bottom pair defenseman now that they finally have a capable replacement in house for that guy. (genuinely believe they have no confidence in replacing players from out of house without overpaying)

like, would you rather have Burroughs or Myers factoring in salaries? It's no question to me. there's also no question to me that they could get out of this contract.

look at the rhd that play top like 18+ minutes that are expiring this year (RFA and UFA)

letang, jones, fox, parayko, mcavoy, pulock, murphy, colin miller (lol), stralman, PK, Manson, ristolainen, braun, bear, pysyk

the bolded already got extensions. ristolainen - who everyone knows f***ing sucks - was traded for a huge package.

letang, subban, stralman, braun, manson, psysk are all already or going to be 30+ by onset of their new contract so these guys not having a deal yet isn't surprising

leaves, what, 29 y/o colin miller, ristolainen, and ethan bear as the only u30 RHS guys (who play significant minutes) without a contract next season?

Market is extremely bare.

Edit: Pulock and his agent probably could have gotten at least 8 million in the summer. Really questionable decision.

I actually do want to give the OEL-Myers and Hughes-Poolman pairings more time to see where Hamonic would fit in. Small sample size, but OEL-Myers might actually be the best use of Myers and OEL is holding his own with Myers.

You're right about there being a lack of RHD through the free agent route. Interestingly, Demers didn't latch onto any team (not sure if it is by choice). Stecher will be a UFA though and can be had for cheap.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I actually do want to give the OEL-Myers and Hughes-Poolman pairings more time to see where Hamonic would fit in. Small sample size, but OEL-Myers might actually be the best use of Myers and OEL is holding his own with Myers.

You're right about there being a lack of RHD through the free agent route. Interestingly, Demers didn't latch onto any team (not sure if it is by choice). Stecher will be a UFA though and can be had for cheap.
I advocated trading for Stecher before I saw Burroughs play and that they’re willing to use Burroughs.

Don’t think Stecher in a bottom pairing role is effective use of his extra salary relative to what Burroughs makes.

But also it’s been a short sample size.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I advocated trading for Stecher before I saw Burroughs play and that they’re willing to use Burroughs.

Don’t think Stecher in a bottom pairing role is effective use of his extra salary relative to what Burroughs makes.

But also it’s been a short sample size.

It's weird how coaches don't seem to like him. He's a 2nd pair calibre Dman and is good on the PK but coaches don't like him there. That has led to some healthy scratches along the way. I guess he doesn't put up enough offense for a slightly built 5'10" Dman?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's weird how coaches don't seem to like him. He's a 2nd pair calibre Dman and is good on the PK but coaches don't like him there. That has led to some healthy scratches along the way. I guess he doesn't put up enough offense for a slightly built 5'10" Dman?
Not only that, he's not really a good match for Jack Rathbone on the 3rd pairing..imo...

Reactions: Diamonddog01

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not only that, he's not really a good match for Jack Rathbone on the 3rd pairing..imo...

It's hard to say. Stecher is a pretty smart defender and can transition the puck. Green won't like having two small Dmen out there though. I also think that Canucks D don't defend entries well under Green's system which wouldn't help a Rathbone and Stecher pairing.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
What is going on with this player…I don’t recall a transformation like this off the top of my head. Playing his best hockey as a Canuck imo.

Reactions: sting101

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
What is going on with this player…I don’t recall a transformation like this off the top of my head. Playing his best hockey as a Canuck imo.

Could be as simple as having decent defensive coaching now with Walker and Shaw instead of Baumer.

Shaw especially, came into the team as a defenseman guru, and lo and behold, Hughes, OEL, and Myers all had amazing turnarounds compared to their previous year.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Sell high on Myers. We may never have have another chance to get rid of him. Playing well for a few weeks does not mean much. People need to stop pumping players tires when they are on some hot streak. The same thing happened with Pearson. You judge a player for his whole body of work. Demko is allowing us to win games.
Example:With Halak in net we lose this game 7/6-4. The safe he made on Scheifele combined with the poor goal the Jets goalie let in, allowed us to win and not Myers playing well. He is playing decent hockey and he seems to play well becasue he was garbage before.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Sell high on Myers. We may never have have another chance to get rid of him. Playing well for a few weeks does not mean much. People need to stop pumping players tires when they are on some hot streak. The same thing happened with Pearson. You judge a player for his whole body of work. Demko is allowing us to win games.
Example:With Halak in net we lose this game 7/6-4. The safe he made on Scheifele combined with the poor goal the Jets goalie let in, allowed us to win and not Myers playing well. He is playing decent hockey and he seems to play well becasue he was garbage before.

he wasn’t “garbage” before. He had gaffs, but the entire team did

I swear, ppl really need to stop considering salary when evaluating a player’s ability (value, sure)

If Myers made a million less ppl would rain praise on him

likash

Apr 17, 2019

I swear, ppl really need to stop considering salary when evaluating a player’s ability (value, sure)

Garbage if we consider salary. Tanner Pearson would be a great player for us if he would make 1-1,5m. Uncle Luoie was a responsable player but because of his lack of prodoction and salary he was garbage. You are a student of the school of Benning were you learned that cap and salary don't matter. :laugh:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I can't help but legitimately wonder how much is material improvement, and how much is the rapid deterioration of the blue liners around him outside of Hughes. He's definitely better, but the rest of them are terrible.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I've liked Myers recently but salary DOES factor in because it affects the product the team can put on the ice as much as the individual player's performance does.

He's been better but that's been an outlier AND is still not worth what he's being paid, it's a great opportunity to unload him for something, previously I would have been happy with just the cap relief but given the dearth of RHD and his recent performance, plus his size and potential offensive contributions, we'll get something for him.

We'd have a hole on the RHD but we've kind of got that now, Myers isn't really a top four and yet we're paying him like one, so either we get someone who is worth that cap hit or we still find someone over his head in the top four but at least not overpay for it.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010

It's an interesting take, if the cap had gone up $5-6 million the past couple of seasons, people wouldn't be talking about Myers' salary much anymore, because guys like Hamilton/Jones would have gotten $10-11 mil+ at free agency
For some reason, $6m is still the threshold in most peoples' minds for a "high-paid" player, and I think it's because that's what the top players (like Naslund) were making when the cap was $39 million when the lockout first happened. It's like a mental block.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Normally I’d say trade him but given the state of our D that’s just not feasible. They need to acquire a replacement before they can even consider it. Realistically the team needs to get two additional top 4 guys to complement Hughes and OEL. The D is going to need an overhaul.

Reactions: cc

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
It's an interesting take, if the cap had gone up $5-6 million the past couple of seasons, people wouldn't be talking about Myers' salary much anymore, because guys like Hamilton/Jones would have gotten $10-11 mil+ at free agency
For some reason, $6m is still the threshold in most peoples' minds for a "high-paid" player, and I think it's because that's what the top players (like Naslund) were making when the cap was $39 million when the lockout first happened. It's like a mental block.

Shattenkirk is around Myers's ability and only makes 3.9M

That's around what Myers is worth as a 4/5 dman. Trading him should be objective #1 for Rutherford

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Normally I’d say trade him but given the state of our D that’s just not feasible. They need to acquire a replacement before they can even consider it. Realistically the team needs to get two additional top 4 guys to complement Hughes and OEL. The D is going to need an overhaul.
im sure we have some AHL replacements. Unless your actually targeting for playoffs this year for some reason. Shipping him off now would be huge in starting the rebuild on D. Same with OEL.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
im sure we have some AHL replacements. Unless your actually targeting for playoffs this year for some reason. Shipping him off now would be huge in starting the rebuild on D. Same with OEL.
We don’t have any AHL replacements. Not even close. Any competent or even semi competent D have been called up.
I’m not targeting playoffs but I don’t think the players can take another year of the constant losing. Myers could be moved in the off season and the cap space used to acquire a cheaper top 4 guy. Or maybe a forward like Boeser or Miller will be used. We need a couple top 4 guys to even get respectable again so it’s likely Rutherford will be very active and looking at all options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad