Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Myers only has three years left. If one of Petey or Hughes gets a three year bridge then his $ can be reassigned at the right time.
He'll play decent this coming year...
Next next year will be rough
The final year, you might be able to move him...RHS dmen are generally overvalued so w/1 year left maybe we could find a taker. Im not too upset with this contract... it does suck but if it were 4 or 5 years, it would be doomimg.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Myers only has three years left. If one of Petey or Hughes gets a three year bridge then his $ can be reassigned at the right time.
The final year, you might be able to move him...RHS dmen are generally overvalued so w/1 year left maybe we could find a taker. Im not too upset with this contract... it does suck but if it were 4 or 5 years, it would be doomimg.
Since this is another throwaway year I am fine with watching Myers flail around like a gigantic spider and contribute high event chaos.

Reactions: Mr4legs

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
The final year he has $5m signing bonus, $1m salary. Depending on the market for clearing cap, it might not be too hard to move him (the same structure that makes him easier to trade makes him buyout proof).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks brass probably learned a hard lesson with the Eriksson contract that was virtually buy-out proof.

If things really go south with Myers, I think there's a good chance the Canucks could move him. Big, right-shot defenders, are always highly sought after even if they're on the north side of 30 and their play is starting to slip a little.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
I think the Canucks brass probably learned a hard lesson with the Eriksson contract that was virtually buy-out proof.

If things really go south with Myers, I think there's a good chance the Canucks could move him. Big, right-shot defenders, are always highly sought after even if they're on the north side of 30 and their play is starting to slip a little.

myers is not and will not be a negative asset. he isnt even that bad... the board here is just a bunch of crazies.

look at what savard got at the deadline.... and he is trash

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

What happens if OEL also goes south?

Double your displeasure. Double your nonfun.

HELLO BEDARD

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
myers is not and will not be a negative asset. he isnt even that bad... the board here is just a bunch of crazies.

look at what savard got at the deadline.... and he is trash
No one is suggesting that Myers is not an NHL player. The issue is that he has numerous years left and is showing a strong downward trend in his play. If he was an expiring, you could probably move him at the deadline fairly easily. When he has 3 years left on his deal, it becomes far more unlikely that they would be able to trade him straight up for positive value.

Schmidt is a better player who played a more important role and performed better than Myers and Winnipeg was the only team that wanted him without retention or taking back a bad asset.

Reactions: geebaan

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I think this was the perfect year to trade him. His boxscore stats don't look half bad this year and with OEL eating even more of the offensive opportunities he likely won't be around .4 ppg next year.

Reactions: Nucker101

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
No one is suggesting that Myers is not an NHL player. The issue is that he has numerous years left and is showing a strong downward trend in his play. If he was an expiring, you could probably move him at the deadline fairly easily. When he has 3 years left on his deal, it becomes far more unlikely that they would be able to trade him straight up for positive value.

Schmidt is a better player who played a more important role and performed better than Myers and Winnipeg was the only team that wanted him without retention or taking back a bad asset.

It wouldn't shock me if some teams valued Myers more than Schmidt with the Canucks being one of them.

Reactions: Nucker101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Even though his advanced stats look bad…Myers had 21 points in 55 games this season (had the same amount in 68 games in his first season here)…would most likely have over 30 points in a regular season….

Not seeing a regression there.

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Just imagine of that $6M spent on Myers was actually on a RHS Dman who was worth it. I'd actually think we have a chance to go deep (assuming the new players all come together well as a unit and RFA's are resigned).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Ristolainen can return a 1st and a 2nd, we should be able to trade Myers for a cheaper and younger RHD?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
With how size on D (^_^) was such a talking point in the playoffs, the chances of us trading Myers are probably lower than ever.

Oh well.

Reactions: elitepete

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Myers at something near 3-4mil, if played 15-16 min on a depth role would be a tremendous asset to have.

Myers at 6mil in the top 4 playing anything more than 20+ min is scary.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On a good team, Myers would be a passable 5-6 d-man. The problems come when he has to move up in the lineup and try to match up against some of the NHL's more dangerous forward lines.

So if the Canucks indeed are on the cusp of being a 'good team' as management claims, then he gets no higher than #5 on the depth chart. And you simply can't pay a #5 d-man, $6m a year.

So going forward, there's not a chance in the world he can live up to his contract.....which basically makes him untradeable in a flat-cap environment. So the debate over what kind of d-man Myers really is will rage for another three seasons at least.

Nov 1, 2011
Myers was a top 4 on a good Winnipeg team. Of course he was paired with Big Buff.

Just needs the right partner.

Reactions: Hit the post

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know what it is, but bad contracts for d-men seem to be easier to live with. Between Myers and OEL, the Canucks have $13m tied up under the salary cap for the next three seasons at least.

Will these two over-30 d-men live up to that inflated contract number?....not a chance in the world. But as long as they can perform at a reasonable level and actually stay in the lineup every night, then you can live with it.

For some reason, a terrible contract like Erikssons' just seems to become a black hole with the forward group. The last couple of years, he spent more time in the press-box than on the ice.....and the Canucks never had the money or the luck to find another legitimate top-six forward.

Actually they found one in Tofoli....but had to let him walk because they didn't have the money to re-up him and still pay taxi squad Louie.

Reactions: ForecheckBackcheck

Cornwallace

Jun 24, 2021
Adobe_20210811_154034.th.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad