Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I've been very happy with Myers most of the season. There was a stretch of about 5 or 6 games before Green got canned where TM was just absolutely awful, and his skating was so bad. I think he was playing through his injury, perhaps groin or hip which might impact his skating. I think he cost us a game or two he was so bad.

When Tyler is skating well, and now under an actual defensive system, he earns his paycheque. He has been fantastic under BB. That play when last game where he picked off the pass and turned it back for the eventual goal was awesome.

Long term, I still think he is too up and down, and is constantly playing hurt in which case he becomes a detriment defensively. Maybe trading for a more stable D would be a wise course.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I've been very happy with Myers most of the season. There was a stretch of about 5 or 6 games before Green got canned where TM was just absolutely awful, and his skating was so bad. I think he was playing through his injury, perhaps groin or hip which might impact his skating. I think he cost us a game or two he was so bad.

When Tyler is skating well, and now under an actual defensive system, he earns his paycheque. He has been fantastic under BB. That play when last game where he picked off the pass and turned it back for the eventual goal was awesome.

Long term, I still think he is too up and down, and is constantly playing hurt in which case he becomes a detriment defensively. Maybe trading for a more stable D would be a wise course.

Same, I'm okay with his play this season, but given his salary, term and history of inconsistency, being "okay" isn't about keeping him, it's more about selling high while we can, even for the cap space and then we can get creative from there about how we address the RHD situation.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Same, I'm okay with his play this season, but given his salary, term and history of inconsistency, being "okay" isn't about keeping him, it's more about selling high while we can, even for the cap space and then we can get creative from there about how we address the RHD situation.
With OEL not living up to his 7.2M cap, we simply cannot afford another high price d that doesn’t earn up to his contract so yeah, Myer needs to go because the alternative is to trade OEL and no GM would do that.

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
With OEL not living up to his 7.2M cap, we simply cannot afford another high price d that doesn’t earn up to his contract so yeah, Myer needs to go because the alternative is to trade OEL and no GM would do that.
Do you mean no gm would trade for him or no gm would trade him? Cause seeing the response people are having over myers makes me think you could get some one to bite if you put him on pp1 and let him rack up the counting stats.
Actually maybe we should do that with myers?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Willie D’s first season wasn’t bad, it was the playoffs where he was shockingly god awful. He is a better regular season coach than Green.

"Shockingly god awful" eh? I'd hate to think what you would say if we didn't win 2 games in that series...

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
"Shockingly god awful" eh? I'd hate to think what you would say if we didn't win 2 games in that series...
I should be more clear, the deployment was shockingly god awful because you literally did not need a coach on the bench to do what he did. I mean when was the last time you see a NHL coach run 1-2-3-4 in any games let alone playoff games?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
what, specifically, do you think that WD did well in that series?

He won 2 games rolling his lines. There is a whole legion of people here who keep insisting he was the worst coach in the history of the Canucks (if not hockey itself) which is ridiculous. Luckily for him the powers that be in the hockey world think otherwise since he has been gainfully employed in high end hockey jobs since he left the Canucks. I'm assuming that his rolling his lines was an attempt to make the Flames dance to his tune and it worked for 2 games so I don't see this strategy as catastrophic, just unsuccessful. Ferland running roughshod over our team was, IMHO, the main problem in that series.

Reactions: Nomobo

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Myers has been good recently but we need to look at the bigger picture and the D as a whole.
Vancouver has one of the most expensive D groups in the league and most of them aside from Hughes and some fill in guys are overpaid by $1-2 million. As a group they also aren’t mobile enough and don’t contribute enough offensively.
Rutherford needs to completely rebuild that D over a couple of years with limited cap space and not many prospects. The most obvious candidate to move is Myers in the off season. OEL is probably too hard to move and overall is more mobile. We can probably live with that one overpayment for a few more years.
Ideally we also move on from at least one of Poolman or Hamonic this off-season with a view to having both gone in a couple of years. Hamonic’s contract is only two years so it should be doable.
Then comes the tough part of getting new players in to replace the D who have left. It will likely end up being some combination of Rathbone plus a young D obtained in a trade for one of the forwards. Having one of our other prospects come through would be huge but not something that we can rely on.

Last edited:

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Winning two games while having home ice advantage against a Calgary team missing Giordano isn't exactly a decent result. You could probably just tell the players to figure it out themselves and get similar or better results.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
He won 2 games rolling his lines. There is a whole legion of people here who keep insisting he was the worst coach in the history of the Canucks (if not hockey itself) which is ridiculous. Luckily for him the powers that be in the hockey world think otherwise since he has been gainfully employed in high end hockey jobs since he left the Canucks. I'm assuming that his rolling his lines was an attempt to make the Flames dance to his tune and it worked for 2 games so I don't see this strategy as catastrophic, just unsuccessful. Ferland running roughshod over our team was, IMHO, the main problem in that series.
There are people who think Willie D is better than Green. We won 2 games because the team is better than the flames, it was a deeper team and the Sedins were killing it when they played. The problem was that they noticed we were rolling 1-2-3-4 and they also figured out that, not that it was hard to figure out, pressuring Sbisa leads to a lot of free pizzas. WD made no adjustments at all and that killed us. Just look at the goals, like 75% of the GA had Sbisa contributing to it.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Are you related to Willie?

Dance to his tune? This is insane. That’s literally the opposite of what happened and what could be expected by literally rolling four lines and having the 4th line playing more minutes than the first.

It’s crazy how attached this account is to Desjardins. It’s almost daily.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
There are people who think Willie D is better than Green. We won 2 games because the team is better than the flames, it was a deeper team and the Sedins were killing it when they played. The problem was that they noticed we were rolling 1-2-3-4 and they also figured out that, not that it was hard to figure out, pressuring Sbisa leads to a lot of free pizzas. WD made no adjustments at all and that killed us. Just look at the goals, like 75% of the GA had Sbisa contributing to it.
Not just that but the Bonino-Vrbata combo was poor and Calgary dictated their matchups accordingly. Monahan and Gaudreau couldn’t get much done vs the Twins or Horvat’s line but dominated Bonino and Sbieksa.

I think that poster is closely connected to Desjardins because that same Ferland/crowd noise narrative is being pushed.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Not just that but the Bonino-Vrbata combo was poor and Calgary dictated their matchups accordingly. Monahan and Gaudreau couldn’t get much done vs the Twins or Horvat’s line but dominated Bonino and Sbieksa.

I think that poster is closely connected to Desjardins because that same Ferland/crowd noise narrative is being pushed.
Oh man the dreaded Sbisa-Bieska combo. That post season coaching was a disgrace. I don’t remember seeing the twins being so frustrated about their deployment

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Zippgunn has been here much longer than you have and the Ferland narrative was popular enough that Bieksa had to address it at the time. You don't have to agree with it, but is certainly a popularized view.

The Flames just played with more speed and energy than we did. We also didn't have a response for Ferland's physical play. In the playoffs, momentum can carry a team and if you gauge the flow of the games, the Flames were the better team in that series.

Are you not capable of having a discussion with Zippgunn without accusing him of being closely connected to Desjardins?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Are you related to Willie?

Dance to his tune? This is insane. That’s literally the opposite of what happened and what could be expected by literally rolling four lines and having the 4th line playing more minutes than the first.

It’s crazy how attached this account is to Desjardins. It’s almost daily.

What's crazy is the obsession with his "1-2-3-4" system with the haters here. He is not the only coach in history to do it and it seemed to work for him at every level before he coached the Canucks. In the pro hockey world he is very well respected and I for one think he is a solid, if not exactly elite level coach. My response is to the countless posts on this board that go ridiculously overboard in their criticism (hatred really) of the guy which has even extended to the cretinous level of some posters making fun of a medical condition he has by calling him "twitchy" which I feel is unworthy of any kind of classy hockey fan anywhere. But this is Vancouver so while I'm disappointed in many of my fellow Canuck fans I can't say I'm surprised...

P.S. I have no connection with Willie D. whatsoever nor have I ever met the man.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Keeping Sbisa and Bieksa together was a real stroke of genius I tell ya.

Last edited:

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Imagine if Willie made evena little adjustment in splitting up his pairings or god forbid scratching Sbisa

Or promoting Horvat to the second line because Richardson and Bonino were sucking balls and were banged up
Zippgunn has been here much longer than you have and the Ferland narrative was popular enough that Bieksa had to address it at the time. You don't have to agree with it, but is certainly a popularized view.

The Flames just played with more speed and energy than we did. We also didn't have a response for Ferland's physical play. In the playoffs, momentum can carry a team and if you gauge the flow of the games, the Flames were the better team in that series.

Are you not capable of having a discussion with Zippgunn without accusing him of being closely connected to Desjardins?

The Flames were hardly the better team, probably better to characterize the play as even or slight advantage to Vancouver.

lol Ferland's physcial play was just a stupid media narrative that baited Bieksa. He was bothersome, but hardly the force of nature that some like to think about it.

Willie just never made any sensible moves. The Sedins dominated that series whenever they were on the ice and once we were facing elimination should have been on for 24+ min. The Sbieksa pairing should have been chained to the bench. Speed was an issue, but hardly the deciding factor of the series. Inserting Baer was smart. Putting him on the 4th line with Macmillan and Horvat was not.

Giving up last change was unbelievable

Imagine if Willie made even a little adjustment in splitting up his pairings or god forbid scratching Sbisa

Or promoting Horvat to the second line because Richardson and Bonino were sucking balls and were banged up

If the goal was the playoffs then I'm not sure what Benning was doing when didn't turf Willie after that unacceptable result. Clearly a coach that was never going to do anything at the NHL level

Reactions: arttk

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
What's crazy is the obsession with his "1-2-3-4" system with the haters here. He is not the only coach in history to do it and it seemed to work for him at every level before he coached the Canucks. In the pro hockey world he is very well respected and I for one think he is a solid, if not exactly elite level coach. My response is to the countless posts on this board that go ridiculously overboard in their criticism (hatred really) of the guy which has even extended to the cretinous level of some posters making fun of a medical condition he has by calling him "twitchy" which I feel is unworthy of any kind of classy hockey fan anywhere. But this is Vancouver so while I'm disappointed in many of my fellow Canuck fans I can't say I'm surprised...

P.S. I have no connection with Willie D. whatsoever nor have I ever met the man.
The problem with the "1-2-3-4" system was that it was incredibly outdated in the league - yes, other coaches in history have used it as well, but you'd have to go 40 years back to find them in the NHL.

I can't remember where I read this, but one of the hockey insiders wrote that the Russian coaching was lambasted in coaching circles because they tended to just roll 1-2-3-4 which is why they were continually beat in the Olympics until 2018, where they iced a better roster than anyone else as the Olympic Athletes from Russia.

I'm sure you can understand that utilizing home ice advantage to match lines provides you with the best advantage in games, particularly when you have control over who starts their shifts in the offensive or defensive zone. Just because some people are going for personal attacks doesn't mean their criticism of his coaching ability is irrational.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

I see your posts just about every time Wille is brought up. I don’t think anyone is obsessed.

The deployment in that series was like nothing I’ve ever seen at the nhl level. I have no problem rolling 4 lines sometimes but not when it’s win or go home. The 1-2-3-4 will live forever in this fanbase. It’s not obsession it’s history.

Reactions: mathonwy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad