Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Myers is a flawed player, but he's clearly a second pairing player, the team is significantly worse when he's not in the lineup, and there's nobody better anticipated to come in on the right-hand side.

Obviously the big issue is that the team brought him in at the expense of Tanev a season later, but I also think that moving on from Tanev was, in a vacuum, a logical move.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Reading through some of this thread and it seems that everyone agrees Myers is overpaid and overplayed as a Top 4 D and probably for a few too many years. Everyone is just arguing about the magnitude of the mistake rather than whether it is a mistake or not. That pretty much sums up the Benning regime over the last 7 years.
Yes sure but it also represents almost every UFA signed that changed teams that was coveted. It's a tax that teams pay for not having the players in their own system or trading assets for them which would be another form of the tax.

As said above the problem becomes when you do it so many times that you prevent yourself from being able to retain players or pay to improve your team in the future.

I'm certainly wary of a Myers drop off but with the way he skates his skill and reach i'm not so sure him not jumping up into the rush as much wont actually improve his results. Sometimes these older D men types like Petry can surprise and play without dropping off too much if at all by 34. I'm not banking on it but i haven't seen much to worry of the impending doom. we'll see

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
If he was our worst contract we would be in good shape.

I think we hate on him more because it's another iffy contract on top of a boatload of god-awful contracts.

Reactions: MarkMM and bossram

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Yes sure but it also represents almost every UFA signed that changed teams that was coveted. It's a tax that teams pay for not having the players in their own system or trading assets for them which would be another form of the tax.

As said above the problem becomes when you do it so many times that you prevent yourself from being able to retain players or pay to improve your team in the future.

I'm certainly wary of a Myers drop off but with the way he skates his skill and reach i'm not so sure him not jumping up into the rush as much wont actually improve his results. Sometimes these older D men types like Petry can surprise and play without dropping off too much if at all by 34. I'm not banking on it but i haven't seen much to worry of the impending doom. we'll see

I'm not so sure that Myers was coveted, but I agree what your are saying about free agency. Free agency is overpriced and should not be dipping into that well too often.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every time the Jets tried to move Myers into a top-four role permanently it flopped....and it's been no different in Vancouver.

He's basically a serviceable #5, who can move up in the lineup in a pinch or because of injuries.....but no evidence that on a decent team, he can actually stay there.

So as a #5 on the depth chart, if he was earning $3-$4m a season you could live with it....at $6m a season, it's simply a bad contract that will only look worse as Myers moves into the north side of 30.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Every time the Jets tried to move Myers into a top-four role permanently it flopped....and it's been no different in Vancouver.

He's basically a serviceable #5, who can move up in the lineup in a pinch or because of injuries.....but no evidence that on a decent team, he can actually stay there.

So as a #5 on the depth chart, if he was earning $3-$4m a season you could live with it....at $6m a season, it's simply a bad contract that will only look worse as Myers moves into the north side of 30.
Myers is already north of 30 in terms of age.;)

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008

Tyler Myers has never averaged less than 20 minutes a game in his 12 year nhl career. So your analysis is a little suspect: there are no #5 (3rd pairing) defensemen playing 20+ minutes a game. Whether or not he should be a top-4 defensemen at this point in time is of course another question.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Loui gone, Roussel gone, Beagle gone. So now who's contract is worse?

Myers probably. Im one of the few here who thinks OEL will rebound.

I also think Myers is easy to move. If we he a UFA this summer he would have got 4 years. Likely 4x5 or something. Look at what all these dmen are getting. So he is slightly overpaid right now but it is not that much.

Reactions: bh53

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I still don’t understand why Myers is considered a solid defensive dman when almost every year his teams give up more shots from the slot/crease area than they do with him off the ice.

People see what they want to believe, even if you literally show them a map of the ice with a glowing blob of red in front of the Vancouver net/slot area.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Tyler Myers has never averaged less than 20 minutes a game in his 12 year nhl career. So your analysis is a little suspect: there are no #5 (3rd pairing) defensemen playing 20+ minutes a game. Whether or not he should be a top-4 defensemen at this point in time is of course another question.
Probably has to do with the fact he is really elite at getting stuck on the ice for super long shifts. Oh and he is pretty sheltered.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably has to do with the fact he is really elite at getting stuck on the ice for super long shifts. Oh and he is pretty sheltered.
Pretty hard to argue with this......although unscientific, seems to me that Myers was constantly on the ice for 'bag shifts' in his own zone where the puck ended up on an endless cycle.

And it didn't seem to matter who he was paired with.....even Hughes struggled mightily with Myers.

Easily the worst contract now on this Canucks team....and virtually un-moveable unless the Canucks were willing to take a lot of money back.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's a $3 million player who is a decent #4-5 who has been played for the past two years as a #1-2 either anchoring a shutdown pairing with Edler (bad) or babysitting Hughes (worse). Should be nowhere near either role.

His results would look totally different if he was playing 19-20 minutes of mid-pairing icetime with a reliable partner.

JimmyJiveJones

Jan 28, 2019
My opinion might be unpopular but with all the money being thrown at defencemen this offseason, Myers contract doesnt look as bad as years prior. I always thought he was a 4million dollar defencemen being paid 6mil. But in todays market, hes like a 4.5-5million dollar defencemen being paid 6mil. That being said, i believe he should be alil bit better this season playing abit more sheltered minutes with a more mobile&reliable partner. Just those boneheaded penalties he takes i cant stand.

Reactions: Sneezy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I share the opinion that Myers is generally an overpaid #4 guy, but he was truly awful last year specifically.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I share the opinion that Myers is generally an overpaid #4 guy, but he was truly awful last year specifically.
this past season made me want to pull my eyeballs out

and the f***ing weird part is there were optometrists on twitter who genuinely thought he played like a #1D some nights like wtf?

part of the reason we should trade him is because he doesn't fit with any of our players.

makes too much money for a smaller role with rathbone, doesn't fit next to hughes, and isn't good enough to be playing with OEL in a first pairing matchup role.

this management group is dumb tho. trading myers is the most obvious thing that should be done.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

and the f***ing weird part is there were optometrists on twitter who genuinely thought he played like a #1D some nights like wtf?

part of the reason we should trade him is because he doesn't fit with any of our players.

makes too much money for a smaller role with rathbone, doesn't fit next to hughes, and isn't good enough to be playing with OEL in a first pairing matchup role.

this management group is dumb tho. trading myers is the most obvious thing that should be done.
A bigger part is that he's 31 years old. He ain't getting better.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Myers was good in the post-covid game vs Toronto.. and I think that was the only game some people watched. His puck-handling this year was just brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->