Player Discussion Tyler Myers thread

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
‘Aquire some quality defenders in the last 7 years’ would be a decent option.

‘Benning has done such a terrible job building the blueline that a bad player like Myers is inexplicably indispensable’ is not an argument in his favour.

Myers is not as bad as half of you make him out to be. Imagine calling a player who plays on the PK/PP and gets 30 points a season a bad player. Like if Jack Rathbone turns out to be that good we should all be estatic and there is a very good chance he doesnt.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Myers is not as bad as half of you make him out to be. Imagine calling a player who plays on the PK/PP and gets 30 points a season a bad player. Like if Jack Rathbone turns out to be that good we should all be estatic and there is a very good chance he doesnt.

Is Jack Johnson a good player or bad player?

You realize a bad player can be propped up to generate hockey card stats with PP minutes they don’t deserve, right?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Is Jack Johnson a good player or bad player?

You realize a bad player can be propped up to generate hockey card stats with PP minutes they don’t deserve, right?

Jack Johnson (b.1987) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
How is that even remotely close to Myers. Johnson was a - player everywhere he played besides his one good year in Columbus.

Tyler Myers (b.1990) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Tyler Myers for compar

Edit: Johnson is also a OFD when Myers is a TWD. Not even there playstyles are comparible

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jack Johnson (b.1987) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
How is that even remotely close to Myers. Johnson was a - player everywhere he played besides his one good year in Columbus.

Tyler Myers (b.1990) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Tyler Myers for compar

Edit: Johnson is also a OFD when Myers is a TWD. Not even there playstyles are comparible

Ok, we’re getting somewhere.

Jack Johnson scored 30+ points and played PP/PK but was a shit player. So we can throw your last argument out the door.

Would you say that Myers has played on better or worse teams than Johnson?

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Ok, we’re getting somewhere.

Jack Johnson scored 30+ points and played PP/PK but was a shit player. So we can throw your last argument out the door.

Would you say that Myers has played on better or worse teams than Johnson?

Johnson by far as played on better teams and had worse stats across the board. Like it honestly isnt even close

Edit: also notice the up tick in Myers numbers when he was on good teams. I mean your whole comparsion is off

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Johnson by far as played on better teams and had worse stats across the board. Like it honestly isnt even close

Edit: also notice the up tick in Myers numbers when he was on good teams. I mean your whole comparsion is off

I never said Johnson was better than Myers.

Myers’ Winnipeg teams are better than anything Johnson has ever played on.

Your claim was that if a guy scores 30 points playing PP/PK he must be good. Clearly that isn’t the case.

Myers is an OK depth defender who is comically overplayed. His contract makes him a liability. The team would be better if they were rid of him.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I never said Johnson was better than Myers.

Myers’ Winnipeg teams are better than anything Johnson has ever played on.

Your claim was that if a guy scores 30 points playing PP/PK he must be good. Clearly that isn’t the case.

Myers is an OK depth defender who is comically overplayed. His contract makes him a liability. The team would be better if they were rid of him.

How is that clearly not the case. You gave one example and havent attempted to prove how Myer or Johnson is "Bad". If you get rid of Myers you are still looking at 4-5 mill to find a replacement that does what he does.

Edit: Also the two Winnipeg teams Myers played on had 99 and 114 points while Johnson played on 4 teams with 99+ points

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I personally think Myers' contract can age quite well. He's such an easy, natural skater than I don't think the skating will degrade enough to affect his game. His huge reach is also just such an advantage and that's not going anywhere. Edler on the other hand, I don't really want to bring him back for more than minimum, he got slower and slower as the year went on.

Um.

Its already a bad contract.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
He should be absolutely untradeable but I wouldn't be shocked if there was some other fossil GM out there who would take a swing at 6'8/Calder Trophy/hockey card stats.
And remember, Benning acquired Bowey, and downgraded a pick in doing so, so he could protect him in the expansion draft.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Wow.

So. You are just wrong about everything huh?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Their base hockey card stats are actually quite similar if you look at their first 13 years in the league. 278 points in 788 games vs 307 in 758 for Myers. Johnson even played more on average.

Johnson's hockey card stats really fell off in his 14th year which is what Myers is going into next year.

There's no question that Johnson was an inferior player at every point in his career to Myers but the argument isn't that they are comparable - it's that they put up similar base stats that you see on hockey cards which was the argument you were making in favor of Myers. It's why it's a bad one.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Didn't Jack Johnson play for team USA in a world cup and a Olympics.

Bit of a train wreck at times but could play against the big boys and come away with pucks when driven. Kinda reminded me of Ed Jovanovski. Jack had a few really good years in LA

Does it matter that Myers plays more minutes with all the forwards not in our top6 and has Juolevi on his left side or Fantenberg. I mean i cant think of a worse case scenario for Corsi and expected goal differentials than starting 38% off zone faceoffs with Beagle Hawrluk Vesey Gaudette and the great 3rd and 4th liners we have especially after an injury or two and a marginal partner. 9 empty net goals against too that cant help the numbers. We rip Eriksson but should we give Myers any leeway for being out to try and tie the game when someone slides it into the open cage

Im not trying to say its not a bad contract but outside of the every 5th or 6th game where he goes bambi bonehead on ice from a night of drinking or something i've been pleasantly suprised by Myers wheels and ability to log minutes. The drop off hasn't happened yet but that doesn't change the fact he's a 4/5 that gets paid like a top pair and makes a lot of mistakes. Offensive uptick this year was nice to see

4-4.5 and i wouldn't care less but thats the UFA tax on big desirables i guess. Edler Hughes and Schmidt dont exactly make him look like he doesn't belong amongst those guys for ice time and he was effective against Tuch Sanford and Greenway who were creating havoc down low in the bubble.

i think our defense has been unfairly attacked this year. Our forwards were ghastly and left them out to dry so much it's ridiculous. What did we have 3 forwards that had decent years?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
tenor.gif

Granlund had a great season in the KHL.

Reactions: Nucker101

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Next, do Markus Granlund and how he's good because he scored 19 goals in 69 games.
And they actually used a protection slot on him in the Vegas E-Draft.

The hilarious thing about Benning is that every week you’re reminded about something awful he’s done in the past that you had completely forgotten about due to his death by a thousand cuts management.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The problem with guys like Myers, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, etc etc. isn't that they're necessarily 'bad hockey players'. It's just they're paid almost double what they should be, given what they're producing at this point in their careers.

And sooner or later, when you've piled on enough of these bad contracts with term on them, it robs you of the ability to build around your young corps of players with guys who can produce something.

If Myers was a fifth d-man earning no more than $3m, he'd represent decent value for what he brings. But at $6m, it's downright ugly. And it's only going to get worse.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The problem with guys like Myers, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, etc etc. isn't that they're necessarily 'bad hockey players'. It's just they're paid almost double what they should be, given what they're producing at this point in their careers.

And sooner or later, when you've piled on enough of these bad contracts with term on them, it robs you of the ability to build around your young corps of players with guys who can produce something.

If Myers was a fifth d-man earning no more than $3m, he'd represent decent value for what he brings. But at $6m, it's downright ugly. And it's only going to get worse.
Myers should not be put in the same pile as those others. Sutter and Roussel pre injury were okay. Myers has played to expectations. An imperfect player paid too much in flat cap era. However, they do not have another dman who can compete in all areas of the rink like him. Our d core biggest issue is our forwards not being able to put on puck pressure, or retain the puck. You could change our set of d with most teams and the change in each team would be minimal. We have an average d unit with Myers being a big part of it.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Myers should not be put in the same pile as those others. Sutter and Roussel pre injury were okay. Myers has played to expectations. An imperfect player paid too much in flat cap era. However, they do not have another dman who can compete in all areas of the rink like him. Our d core biggest issue is our forwards not being able to put on puck pressure, or retain the puck. You could change our set of d with most teams and the change in each team would be minimal. We have an average d unit with Myers being a big part of it.

Myers is a situational 4/5, who is miscast in his role here and has barely any chemistry with any of his teammates/partners. He's overpaid somewhere between 1.5-3M for what he brings and is likely to keep declining as his contract winds down. This year was a special disaster that largely wasn't his fault, but the idiot coach and management. Myers clearly plays worse then most players when tired and he shouldn't be given long PK shifts or matchup duties that take away from his puck rushing ability.

I half-wish we could see him with a new coach and a more structured system then Green's

Reactions: ekimbo and MarkMM

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Reading through some of this thread and it seems that everyone agrees Myers is overpaid and overplayed as a Top 4 D and probably for a few too many years. Everyone is just arguing about the magnitude of the mistake rather than whether it is a mistake or not. That pretty much sums up the Benning regime over the last 7 years.

Reactions: MarkMM

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Myers is a #5 dman, at best you play him on the 2nd pairing with someone who can carry him at both ends of the ice, Canucks don’t have a dman like that outside of maybe Schmidt, but the issue is Schmidt isn’t allowed to play his game under Green. Only Hughes is given freedom, the rest have to play conservative hockey.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Myers is a #5 dman, at best you play him on the 2nd pairing with someone who can carry him at both ends of the ice, Canucks don’t have a dman like that outside of maybe Schmidt, but the issue is Schmidt isn’t allowed to play his game under Green. Only Hughes is given freedom, the rest have to play conservative hockey.
Pretty much this, Myers the second was signed was put in a position to fail. Eriksson is a piece of shit, but I dont think Myers is, he really is trying and doing what anyone with half a brain should have expected. Hes a good 4/5 paid like a #1 or #2. Hes played like a #2 as well which makes him look worse then he is

Im no fan of Coach Green but starting to think what options does he have with this brutally put together lineup he has. Hughes badly needs a defensive mentor to be with, Edler needs limited minutes and Myers needs to be a 3rd pairing guy or babysat on the 2nd pairing. Schmidt would be a solid second pairing dman but asked to play like a top pairing guy well also the top guy on that pairing

Destined for failure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad