Tyler Myers hit on Joel Armia (no discipline)

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
He hit the head. I thought this was something they wanted taken out of the head. Blind side + he singled out the head. It's all there.
Contacting the head at all isn’t necessarily a suspension. It’s only a violation if the head is the principle point of contact. Do you understand this concept and how it applies to the hit we’re talking about?

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Chest, head or a bit both, like this case, it's completely irrelevant because Myers didn't give Armia any chance to protect himself. The situation was completely out of Armia's control, which body part he receives the hit and where his head lands after the contact(this is where Armia got very lucky). Armia's body position and angle was 100% natural while battling with two players.

Grossly irresponsible and indifferent actions from both Myers and the DOPS. The bolded part is the most crucial, and the DOPS ignored it completely.

Such a simple minded pov. I mean, if breathing suddenly wouldn't be an autonomous function, none of the dops team would be able to figure it out.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I don't know, these hits are just tough to judge. Myers certainly isn't charging and/or leading with an elbow or jumping into the hit or anything. That's why I'll never understand the 'disgraceful' 'disgusting' comments in here...

To me, there's a very reasonable expectation the player getting hit is going to pick his head up and brace for the hit. He didn't, that's unfortunate.

But it seems like unless the player getting hit makes some extreme change in body position that leads to a hit, the NHL puts all the onus and responsiblilty on the person making the hit. I still saw nothing from Myers there that warrants a suspension....

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
a lot of habs fans in here acting like myers hit was a terrorist act while also calling for justice like myers wouldnt beat the living shit out of any player on your roster. it's like going after chara. good luck
Lmao at your Chara comparison, Myers is a creampuff.

Oh and you might also want to check your facts, Edmundson already fought him and won.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Chest, head or a bit both, like this case, it's completely irrelevant because Myers didn't give Armia any chance to protect himself. The situation was completely out of Armia's control, which body part he receives the hit and where his head lands after the contact(this is where Armia got very lucky). Armia's body position and angle was 100% natural while battling with two players.

Grossly irresponsible and indifferent actions from both Myers and the DOPS. The bolded part is the most crucial, and the DOPS ignored it completely.
Whatever you think about the DPOS, or Myers, the hit simply didn’t violate the rules as they presently exist. If you don’t believe the rules are appropriate, fine.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Whatever you think about the DPOS, or Myers, the hit simply didn’t violate the rules as they presently exist. If you don’t believe the rules are appropriate, fine.

This is what I find so funny about this 20+ page thread. People by and large are calling for Myers' suspension based on factors which are not even considered in the rules. It is rather sad the so many people who consider themselves hockey fans don't even understand the relevant rule and its application in this instance. Blind side, no chance to defend himself - completely do not matter.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
NHL goofed, should have been 2 or 3 games for this vicious head shot that could have long term impact on the victim's neurological condition. Their explanation was a massive overthink.
Can you explain which part of the explanation was overthought or didn’t properly reflect the NHL’s rules on hits?

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Of course i believe the rules. The problem is that who ever wrote those rules didn't think it through. How the hell coming from dead angle is fine ? We are smarter than this.

Reactions: Kimota

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Of course i believe the rules. The problem is that who ever wrote those rules didn't think it through. How the hell coming from dead angle is fine ? We are smarter than this.
You said the DPOS ignored the fact that Myers didn’t give Armia a chance to protect himself. Would it be more accurate to say it wasn’t within their mandate to consider that and that you’d like to see the rules changed?

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
NHL goofed, should have been 2 or 3 games for this vicious head shot that could have long term impact on the victim's neurological condition. Their explanation was a massive overthink.
Agreed, DPOS seems to be trying to play 3D chess on their analysis. When you put all factors involved it would have been prudent to give 1 game minimum because:

1) Hit to the head (really did not get much of anything other than head to start going on with principal point of contact)
2) Blindside hit (Right dman skated east to west to make the hit)
3) Player in vulnerable position
4) Resulted in a player's injury on specific injuries they want to avoid
5) Game Context: less than 5 minutes to play in a blowout game.
6) Legal Context: Inaction on headshots provide more leverage for potential lawsuits, it would be prudent for the NHL DPOS to take the player's safety stance in case of a 'gray areas'.
7) Upcoming Context: Playing the same team could incite vigilante payback if game gets out of hand. Nobody wants to see that.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Agreed, DPOS seems to be trying to play 3D chess on their analysis. When you put all factors involved it would have been prudent to give 1 game minimum because:
1) Hit to the head (really did not get much of anything other than head to start going on with principal point of contact)
2) Blindside hit (Right dman skated east to west to make the hit)
3) Player in vulnerable position
4) Resulted in a player's injury on specific injuries they want to avoid
5) Game Context: less than 5 minutes to play in a blowout game.
6) Legal Context: Inaction on headshots provide more leverage for potential lawsuits, it would be prudent for the NHL DPOS to take the player's safety stance in case of a 'gray areas'.
7) Upcoming Context: Playing the same team could incite vigilante payback if game gets out of hand. Nobody wants to see that.
Again, every factor you’ve listed is either outside the DPOS’ mandate to consider or, in the case of the first one, disputed by the DPOS and most people who have seen the hit.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
You said the DPOS ignored the fact that Myers didn’t give Armia a chance to protect himself. Would it be more accurate to say it wasn’t within their mandate to consider that and that you’d like to see the rules changed?
Honestly i thought "dead angle" has been in the rulebook since fifties. How can you leave something like that out. I'm pretty sure that first boxing rulebook from sixteen hundreds doesn't allow sucker punches from behind.

Last edited:

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Honestly i thought "dead angle" has been in the rulebook since fifties. How can you leave something like that out.
It wasn’t a blindside hit, he contacted his chest. Armia would probably have seen him if he had been looking up.

Elnino

Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
It wasn’t a blindside hit, he contacted his chest. Armia would probably have seen him if he had been looking up.
I cant agree with the DPOS analysis regarding primary point of contact and core impact. My eyes are seeing a greater portion of force to the head than the core/shoulder which is clearly visible by the way that the head snapped back to a much greater extent than the upper body upon the initial contact. The hit was avoidable and dangerous. Atleast the referees had it right on the ice.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Honestly i thought "dead angle" has been in the rulebook since fifties. How can you leave something like that out. I'm pretty sure that first boxing rulebook from sixteen hundreds doesn't allow sucker punches from behind.
Here's the rule on illegal checks to the head:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. In determining whether contact with an opponent's head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:
(i) Whether the player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not "picked" as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward.
(ii) Whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.
(iii) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of his body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/2019-20/2019-20_RuleBook.pdf

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
The rule book is irrelevant. They don't follow it. They make up a story (usually incomprehensible} to justify whatever ruling they want too make.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It’s fabulous that you hitting to the ahead is acceptable. As long as you do it the right way lol
Again, and for the benefit of everyone reading this thread: this isn’t something that “we” think. This is explicitly laid out in the rules that the department of player safety uses to make these decisions.

Reactions: Anglesmith

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
The rule book is irrelevant. They don't follow it. They make up a story (usually incomprehensible} to justify whatever ruling they want too make.
Did you watch the video the league released? It references the relevant rule directly for each detail of the event, and explains how that rule dictates the decision they made.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Wtf Myers got nothing? The Nhl saying one thing with the CTE stuff but the action on the headshots aren't positive.

How can a person watch the video and come to a conclusion, proudly presenting what happened as a hit you're allowed to make? The only contact happening is Myers hitting Armia's head.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
I think people expecting great retribution tonight from the Habs are going to be sorely disappointed. Players in the game today just aren’t like that for the most part.

Maybe 10 years ago, yes, Armia’s teammates would avenge him, and Myers and the Jets would pay for it for the entirety of the game but at worst, the Habs are going to send someone after Myers, who is equally a poor fighter, and even if Myers obliges them, they’ll likely hug it out for 30 seconds and then the game will go on like the last game never even happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad