Tyler Myers hit on Joel Armia (no discipline)

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
Because if he makes that exact same motion same posture and the other player doesn’t bend over, that’s pure chest/shoulder height if you were talking about chin contact. You know, “game of inches” cliche.

We have the benefit of slow motion and hindsight watching replays of head contacts after the fact. Players aren’t psychic. With hits or passes or defensive positioning or everything else, there’s a degree of anticipation.

“Blindside” generally isn’t a thing. Hitting in the numbers is. He was starting in front/from the side. Most people would consider it unreasonable to only allow players to make hits skating through head-on paths. It’s unrealistic.

There’s an inherent risk of head contact for a variety of reasons, and a height gap can make a difference, among other things and often in combination.

The point of punishment is to deter the action that lead to a result, not magically the result itself.
If a player makes good hitting posture from a legit angle that, as far as any person can realistically tell in real time at their angle of vision at that speed trying to be physical, had a very real chance of making shoulder/chest contact... what behavior/intent are you discouraging?

Just ban hitting at that point. You can’t just look at the result alone. Head contact will always happen through a season with hitting.
This is the truth, I can see suspending for targeting the head or it being a malicious charge or something but if we're going to watch every big/open ice hit frame by frame just get rid of hitting, i get protecting the players but anything that's not a targeted headshot I can't understand people that complain about this but they are getting paid millions of dollars to play a sport. I don't want them killing each other but the violence is what made me fall in love with the game as a kid, I know that means I probably don't appreciate "real" hockey but that was a part of the reason.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Because if he makes that exact same motion same posture and the other player doesn’t bend over, that’s pure chest/shoulder height if you were talking about chin contact. You know, “game of inches” cliche.

We have the benefit of slow motion and hindsight watching replays of head contacts after the fact. Players aren’t psychic. With hits or passes or defensive positioning or everything else, there’s a degree of anticipation.

“Blindside” generally isn’t a thing. Hitting in the numbers is. He was starting in front/from the side. Most people would consider it unreasonable to only allow players to make hits skating through head-on paths. It’s unrealistic.

There’s an inherent risk of head contact for a variety of reasons, and a height gap can make a difference, among other things and often in combination.

The point of punishment is to deter the action that lead to a result, not magically the result itself.
If a player makes good hitting posture from a legit angle that, as far as any person can realistically tell in real time at their angle of vision at that speed trying to be physical, had a very real chance of making shoulder/chest contact... what behavior/intent are you discouraging?

Just ban hitting at that point. You can’t just look at the result alone. Head contact will always happen through a season with hitting.

Armia didn't bend forward at the last minute. He'd been in that posture for a couple of seconds already. So he did not "materially change the position of his body or head prior to the hit." Myers could have easily hit him in the shoulder, but he let himself glide ahead of Armia, ensuring that "the main point of contact was the head, and it was avoidable", and it shows he "picked the head". The fact it was a blindside hit means Myers didn't give Armia an opportunity to protect himself. That may not be against the rules, but it is certainly always mentioned by the media and fans and players when talking about predatory hits.

The one saving grace for Myers that I can think of, is if he thought hitting Armia from the side would propel him dangerously into the boards. Maybe that caused him to alter his angle of attack, leading to an unintentional hit to the head. But if that's the case, he should have simply rubbed him out on the boards instead of hitting him. He had plenty of time to see that Armia was leaning forward and that he would be hitting his head.

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
Weber or chariot should blow up those players with a big clean hit whether Myers did something or not.
you guys realize myers is like 7 feet tall right?

also if any habs player lays any hit close to dirty they will most likely be kicked out of the game or get suspended themselves. the reffs know what's up lol

chill montreal fans

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
a lot of habs fans in here acting like myers hit was a terrorist act while also calling for justice like myers wouldnt beat the living shit out of any player on your roster. it's like going after chara. good luck

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
a lot of habs fans in here acting like myers hit was a terrorist act while also calling for justice like myers wouldnt beat the living shit out of any player on your roster. it's like going after chara. good luck

Yeah let's be more reasonnable and go after Petersson or Horvat or whoever is the best Canucks player in the game, like Myers did.

Of course I'm not stupid enough to hope that, but I can definetly imagine hockey players thinking like that.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
League probably should've given Myers a game here to cool things down. Next game will be fun to watch.

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
Yeah let's be more reasonnable and go after Petersson or Horvat or whoever is the best Canucks player in the game, like Myers did.

Of course I'm not stupid enough to hope that, but I can definetly imagine hockey players thinking like that.
Joel Armia? is the best habs player? hes a star player or captain?

"Myers went after an average Dman! , Pettersson better watch out"

insanity

folie

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Hopefully Edmundson, Chiarot, Weber, Romanov or Anderson will retaliate next game with the same kind of "totally-not-suspension-worthy" hit.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019

lol, you have a very inflated view of Myers if you think of him as some sort of Chara threat. Here's Edmundson sending him down, and he isn't even the toughest Hab.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hopefully the day never comes, when a referee reviewed 5 minute major, changes the outcome late in game 7, only for the DOPS to deem it not worthy of discipline.....

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
League probably should've given Myers a game here to cool things down. Next game will be fun to watch.

I agree... even though the hit was to the chest.. not headshot like some people say on here.. it was on sportsnet replay.. it could be nasty on Saturday..

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Lol at thinking this some menacing thing. Keep your head up. Or this happens. He didn’t take a ferocious run at him. He just super tall. To me he aimed for his chest. No discipline is fair. Penalty on the ice is good enough.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
The hit was dumb, but it was not a hit to the head, head was incidental contact. There was no intent to hit the head, concussion can happen when the brain hits the skull, so any big hit to the upper body can cause concussions. He didn't leave his feet, his feet left the ice after contact was made because of the collision. I get why the mtl fans are angry, I would be too simply looking at context, but it's not suspendable. Look forward to a physical game later.

Myers actually play a lot better when he's physically involved like during the Blues series. Otherwise he's just a minors machine.

Reactions: Quarrth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->