Tyler Myers hit on Joel Armia (no discipline)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I absolutely hate when fans of any team say they wish the team will go after the other teams' star players in the next game because of this. Seeing posts like they hope the Habs take runs at Petey/Hughes/Horvat is nonsensical and makes me shake my head. Absolutely hate it when Canucks fans do it too. Myers will pay and that's fine but I really hope it doesn't get nasty Saturday.

(Already expecting the Nucks loss and 4 minors for Myers)
It comes from wanting revenge. And hugging Myers until he goes down is not punishment and therefore not revenge.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I prefer Tyler Myers getting punched in the face instead of being suspended. If he continue being an idiot more punches in the face are coming to him.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I prefer Tyler Myers getting punched in the face instead of being suspended. If he continue being an idiot more punches in the face are coming to him.
I wanna see myers just goon it up all year

The Canucks aren’t winning shit this year because of the Benning 30. The Benning 30 is the 30 million dollars of wasted cap the Canucks are suffering because of the moron GM. The Benning 30.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A tall guy hitting someone smaller high, I am blown away! For Pete's sake he didn't even hit him in the head, he hit him with his shoulder to Armia's chest. CLEAN HIT!

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
One of his skates left the ice after the hit was delivered.. he did not "leave his feet"
Watch the video again. He takes a short hop off the ice at the end of the hit, changes his trajectory upwards towards Armia's head. It was intentional and I'm glad he got his ass kicked for it. The feckless DOPS didn't do their job.

eliasjx

Apr 23, 2018
Vancouver
The Jets have nothing to do with it
They were teammates for like 4 years on the Jets. Clearly that's where they became enemies..

Fun fact: Both Armia and Myers were sent to the Jets from Buffalo as part of the Evander Kane trade.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Myers getting his ass handed to him was a thing of beauty. So was the Habs lighting your team up like a Christmas tree.
Thank you. Myers sucks and I hate him. And I want my team to lose many, many humiliating games as to finally rid the franchise of the moron GM. Any other sick burns? :laugh:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
A tall guy hitting someone smaller high, I am blown away! For Pete's sake he didn't even hit him in the head, he hit him with his shoulder to Armia's chest. CLEAN HIT!

Even DoPS said Armia got hit in the head, Myers just got his chest first.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Even DoPS said Armia got hit in the head, Myers just got his chest first.

If he got hit in the head, there would have been a suspension. Also, even if he hit his head afterwards, that is not the same thing as head hunting, no even a little. Myers used his bicep area and checked Armia in the upper chest, thus a clean hit!

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
The way NHL looks at a hit is so old fashioned. With these big fast guys on the ice, these might be career-killers. Is this how they want to play it?

It's not about where he hits first, it's about where to force hits. If it is to the head, it is dangerous. Dangerous hits should be banned.

Also, if someone hit Crosby or McDavid like this, he would be suspended.

Hope Armia is ok.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Half the fans in thread would have a stroke if they watched hockey 25+ years ago if they think this is a dirty predatory hit. Primary contact is NOT the head it is Armia's chest.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
They were teammates for like 4 years on the Jets. Clearly that's where they became enemies..

Fun fact: Both Armia and Myers were sent to the Jets from Buffalo as part of the Evander Kane trade.
That doesn't explain why Edmundson got a good left on Myers. When they fight, they fight.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Myers was a little ahead of the play, so his hit wasn't perfectly timed. No big deal.

Upon review, Myers is slightly hunched over, and in the split-second Armia runs into him (Myers is in front of Armia), Myers straightens his back and this makes his shoulder go straight into Armia's sternum.

It's science buddy. It's not a headshot, if there was, whiplash would be clearly evident. Same thing happens in car crashes. This is a clean hit, I don't care what the homers say.

" Armia runs into him"

source.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
how to distinguish a boomer in the wild

If near 41 years old is boomer, than sure I guess. Also, if meant as an insult, it is a sad/lame one. People nowadays always thinking that everything back in the day was wrong and needs to change is much worse than people who are stuck in their old ways. Bad things need to change, not EVERYTHING needs to change. This is a clean hit in any era of hockey, and only non hitting fans get up in arms over such a nothing hit.

Reactions: h8erfisternator

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
If near 41 years old is boomer, than sure I guess. Also, if meant as an insult, it is a sad/lame one. People nowadays always thinking that everything back in the day was wrong and needs to change is much worse than people who are stuck in their old ways. Bad things need to change, not EVERYTHING needs to change. This is a clean hit in any era of hockey, and only non hitting fans get up in arms over such a nothing hit.

"This is a clean hit in any era of hockey" is such a dumb argument.
You could literally end careers in a single night without repercussions for most of the sports existence. That's the shit you're defending.
Hits hitting the head are bad and always have been bad. Too bad the NHL has only recently had their baby steps towards that realization.

I know you will come back at me telling how soft I am in some shape or form, but that's to be expected. You're such a tough guy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Why was there a penalty then?

Reactions: Pickles

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
"This is a clean hit in any era of hockey" is such a dumb argument.
You could literally end careers in a single night without repercussions for most of the sports existence. That's the shit you're defending.
Hits hitting the head are bad and always have been bad. Too bad the NHL has only recently had their baby steps towards that realization.

I know you will come back at me telling how soft I am in some shape or form, but that's to be expected. You're such a tough guy.

He got hit in the shoulder, not the head. If he glides up into someones head after the fact is not the same thing as he intended on hitting him in the head. Not a hard concept to follow at all. Nothing about this hit was some terrible "shit" the league needs to get rid of. But you people keep bellyaching and eventually you will get the All-Star level no hitting game you all seem to desire!

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Why wasn't there a suspension then? Penalties don't say a hit was dirty, it says they are a penalty.

I guess it depends on your definition of dirty, but:

Match Penalty:

A player who receives a match penalty is ejected. A match penalty is imposed for deliberately injuring another player as well as attempting to injure another player.

Penalty (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I guess it depends on your definition of dirty, but:

Match Penalty:

A player who receives a match penalty is ejected. A match penalty is imposed for deliberately injuring another player as well as attempting to injure another player.

Penalty (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

Yes, but even if he did get ejected, that only means that the ref who made the call thought it was a violation. The fact he didn't receive a suspension is all the proof you need that the league didn't feel it was a dirty play. There also would have been other refs that wouldn't have called it a penalty let alone a match penalty. The refs in game don't have the luxury of replays when they make the original call, they make the calls in real time with a split second to see it.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Yes, but even if he did get ejected, that only means that the ref who made the call thought it was a violation. The fact he didn't receive a suspension is all the proof you need that the league didn't feel it was a dirty play. There also would have been other refs that wouldn't have called it a penalty let alone a match penalty. The refs in game don't have the luxury of replays when they make the original call, they make the calls in real time with a split second to see it.

Actually, the refs did review the video replay before confirming the call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad