Tyler Myers hit on Joel Armia (no discipline)

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
I thought he'd get a game or two but whatever. Extra motivation to go out and beat them on their turf again tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravity

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Lol did you even watch the video. The dude was coming off of a puck battle with 2 other players. By the time he even turned, his head was blasted by Myers. And now he has a concussion. Beautiful, champ.
The head wasn’t the principle point of contact, his chest was. It can be seen in the video. The hit simply doesn’t violate the rules. Are you saying the rules should be changed? If so, how?

Reactions: CanuckCity

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's always hard to tell based on gif because there's not full context, but that looks like a solid hit. (I have no feelings about either player or team involved in this hit)

Myers comes in from a high risk angle but manages to make solid contact to Armia's chest.

At some point I could see the NHL implementing a "third man in" rule for hitting where you can't crush a guy who's already engaged in a puck battle with an opponent. But for now that looks like a good hit.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Lol did you even watch the video. The dude was coming off of a puck battle with 2 other players. By the time he even turned, his head was blasted by Myers. And now he has a concussion. Beautiful, champ.

He beat 2 guys and stole the puck and was headed down the ice. Wanna guess who gets paid millions to stop him?
"can't hit me I won the puck battle" is not a thing.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Clean hit but unnecessary hit, same hit every other fan complains about if it was their team so don't mind them.

Myers playing is a blessing, he was atrocious last game

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Happy he’s not suspended. He will be more useful to he Habs on the ice !

In all seriousness, I don’t care what the rule is, blind side hit with some contact to the head should be a suspension. It’s a play with high probability of concussion. With all we know about concussions now...That kind of laissez-faire could be harmful to the owners down the road and leaves them open for lawsuits.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
It's not a clean hit, it was sneaky and he singled out the head.

He is a dman the other team broke free.... should he just watch him skate down the ice?
Sneaky? No that is his job, he is paid to be on the ice and stop that guy.
I am not sure what you would tell your player to do but he played it right.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He is a dman the other team broke free.... should he just watch him skate down the ice?
Sneaky? No that is his job, he is paid to be on the ice and stop that guy.
I am not sure what you would tell your player to do but he played it right.

Nope. You see how nowadays players actually stop before hitting a guy has his back turned? In the past they would go and ram the guy's head in the board if the guy had his back turned . But they have learned to stop. They know now that these things are not acceptable anymore. Cause players have to protect each other.

Armia was in an extremely vulnerable position and this could have been a lot worse. Your take is basically "well the guy was there, so he could hit him because he was there". But he was in a vulnerable position. Myers could have hit him as hard but do it in a way to not concuss the guy. Guys like Ray Bourque have hit guys hard all their career but it was always clean, not a sneak move like that. Most of the time only the chest was hit. Hell the goal of hitting is to separate the guy from the puck. You think Myers gave a shit about the puck?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Nope. You see how nowadays players actually stop before hitting a guy has his back turned? In the past they would go and ram the guy's head in the board if the guy had his back turned . But they have learned to stop. They know now that these things are not acceptable anymore. Cause players have to protect each other.

Armia was in an extremely vulnerable position and this could have been a lot worse. Your take is basically "well the guy was there, so he could hit him because he was there". But he was in a vulnerable position. Myers could have hit him as hard but do it in a way to not concuss the guy. Guys like Ray Bourque have hit guys hard all their career but it was always clean, not a sneak move like that. Most of the time only the chest was hit. Hell the goal of hitting is to separate the guy from the puck. You think Myers gave a shit about the puck?

Hitting from behind has always been a no no.
You can't hide behind "I was looking at the puck" If he gets suspended everyone will just look down to the left and skate as free as a bird. Im sure on day all contact will be gone,but for now it's still ok.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
keep your head up.

no reason that should be a suspension.
It's actually funny people keep saying his head is down, when it's not.

It's up, he's just looking away from the play.

Hence the blindside aspect.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
It should have been a suspension, and since it wasn't, I hope either Edmunson or Perry take out the f***er with a good old elbow right in the face.

And if that happens and there is no suspension for Edmunson/Perry

... what in your opinion should Canuck punishment on Edmunson/Perry be?

And so on...

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
This is the best angle I've seen so far:

I thought it was a headshot but in this clip it looks more like chest contact. Still such a dick move... but I can understand why there was no further discipline.

Also glad Armia doesn't seem to hit his head on the ice.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
you guys realize myers is like 7 feet tall right?

also if any habs player lays any hit close to dirty they will most likely be kicked out of the game or get suspended themselves. the reffs know what's up lol

chill montreal fans
Take liberties, you have to make amends.

Being seven feet tall doesn't exempt you from a receipt.

We will see, relaxed and all.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
If McDavid gets hit like this, same circumstances, min 3 games. Different players, different sets of rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad