Tyler Myers hit on Joel Armia (no discipline)

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I absolutely hate when fans of any team say they wish the team will go after the other teams' star players in the next game because of this. Seeing posts like they hope the Habs take runs at Petey/Hughes/Horvat is nonsensical and makes me shake my head. Absolutely hate it when Canucks fans do it too. Myers will pay and that's fine but I really hope it doesn't get nasty Saturday.

(Already expecting the Nucks loss and 4 minors for Myers)

Reactions: Prendan Brust

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I absolutely hate when fans of any team say they wish the team will go after the other teams' star players in the next game because of this. Seeing posts like they hope the Habs take runs at Petey/Hughes/Horvat is nonsensical and makes me shake my head. Absolutely hate it when Canucks fans do it too. Myers will pay and that's fine but I really hope it doesn't get nasty Saturday.

Is it wrong to say I hope Weber lights up a Vancouver star with a CLEAN hit? Because I do.

That's more respect than Myers showed and hitting is part of hockey. As is bad blood.

You want to ice a goon like Myers you should expect for teams to at least play clean physical hockey back.

Reactions: Kimota

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Surprised they didn't suspend him. Remember McDavid getting 2 games for a love tap when they guy just released the puck

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

(Already expecting the Nucks loss and 4 minors for Myers)
The funny thing is, this never ever ever happens. Bertuzzi did it.

Too much $$ on the line these days and guys in general are more about themselves. Nothing will happen Saturday. maybe a fight.

Reactions: wonton15

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Is it wrong to say I hope Weber lights up a Vancouver star with a CLEAN hit? Because I do.

That's more respect than Myers showed and hitting is part of hockey. As is bad blood.

I mean of course. I do hope to see Myers get rocked cleanly and we see a Weber on Myers asteroid impact hit.

Reactions: Canadienna

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I bet he was hoping for a 1 game suspension himself. He will probably spend the night watching some YouTube of Anderson and Weber fighting (or whoever else can fight for the Canadiens)

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I wouldn’t have had a problem if it got a game or two but this isn’t surprising either.

Tall guy with proper posture, other guy kinda bent over fighting for the puck.
You can’t hit someone in the numbers, but hitting from the side when they happen to not be looking isn’t a penalty.

If he stays up/stands up that hit quite possibly doesn’t hit any head.

Players aren’t psychic, and they’re playing the game way faster than we’re watching the replays. He’s allowed to make a hit. There’s an inherent risk to playing a contact sport.

9 times out of ten, the player wasn’t trying to hit the head. It’s not all attempted murder lol

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Sure, so if the first replay shows that, clear as the day (lol), I guess we shouldn't look at the two other angles right? It's not like they provide an even more clearer (day) proof that the hit was directly on Armia's chin...right? :sarcasm:

It would be a VERY bad move for the DoPS to let it fly. There will be a bloodbath tomorrow night in Vancouver, and it will be on THEIR hands.

Just because the angle changes doesn't change the principal point of contact. If you take the clearest shot and it shows the chest/shoulder then that's where it is

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
I don't ever want the NHL to talk about player safety when it comes to hits to the head again. He left his feet at the end of the hit, it was obviously intentional. The usual suspects will try to make excuses for this BS claiming the height difference. Myers could have pulled up at any time to limit the impact.
One of his skates left the ice after the hit was delivered.. he did not "leave his feet"

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
This was not a suspendable hit....I personally love the disgusting comments, what happens in your daily life that word actually defines that hit. He hit him shoulder first and I dont why more onus isn't on the guy having his head down. He should get plastered and if your already taller and his head is down its going to be high but it wasn't head hunting or targeting the head. Good call by the NHL

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Bizzare

May 5, 2013
After the DOPS video I think the Canucks are owed an explanation of why the 5 minute major wasn't overturned after review.

Reactions: h8erfisternator

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
A height issue? There are three inches between them.
3 inches isn’t nothing, especially talking chin contact vs full head, and especially if a guy bends over or is ever off balance it essentially gets bigger.

Last edited:

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
Eh I tried using the same line of reasoning at my last casting call. Let’s just say it didn’t work out too well and my ass is still sore.
Three inches when it comes to a shoulder to head hit. Not that hard to understand. Yes you are in charge of your body on the ice. I just don't see the terrible intent here. 1 game maybe. He has 5 inches on the guy.

Last edited:

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
3 inches isn’t nothing, especially talking chain contact vs full head, and especially if a guy bends over or is ever off balance it essentially gets bigger.

When does it stop being a height issue and become an intent issue? 1 inch? Half an inch? Do the players have to be the exact same size and have the exact same posture?

It was a blindside hit to the head. How is that a height issue?

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Man that's ridiculous. You need to suspend a player for playing that recklessly. It's like getting a slap on the wrist for driving into someones head.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
When does it stop being a height issue and become an intent issue? 1 inch? Half an inch? Do the players have to be the exact same size and have the exact same posture?

It was a blindside hit to the head. How is that a height issue?
Because if he makes that exact same motion same posture and the other player doesn’t bend over, that’s pure chest/shoulder height if you were talking about chin contact. You know, “game of inches” cliche.

We have the benefit of slow motion and hindsight watching replays of head contacts after the fact. Players aren’t psychic. With hits or passes or defensive positioning or everything else, there’s a degree of anticipation.

“Blindside” generally isn’t a thing. Hitting in the numbers is. He was starting in front/from the side. Most people would consider it unreasonable to only allow players to make hits skating through head-on paths. It’s unrealistic.

There’s an inherent risk of head contact for a variety of reasons, and a height gap can make a difference, among other things and often in combination.

The point of punishment is to deter the action that lead to a result, not magically the result itself.
If a player makes good hitting posture from a legit angle that, as far as any person can realistically tell in real time at their angle of vision at that speed trying to be physical, had a very real chance of making shoulder/chest contact... what behavior/intent are you discouraging?

Just ban hitting at that point. You can’t just look at the result alone. Head contact will always happen through a season with hitting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigb47

Bigb47

Dec 5, 2016
After the DOPS video I think the Canucks are owed an explanation of why the 5 minute major wasn't overturned after review.
What would overturning it do? I assume it would be off his record or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad