Player Discussion Tyler Motte: What to do?

What should we do with Tyler Motte?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Listening to Rinkwide and they hear that he's asking for $2.5M. Pass.

That Dickinson contract is even more regrettable now but again I don't want us to be committing real money to bottom-3 players.

Well if he's asking for $2.5M, is he willing to sign for less? And what about term?

Many here seem willing to sign him at a $2M AAV. So if you split the difference and sign him somewhere in between on a 3-4 year term that's pretty reasonable. Again it goes back to whether or not you see Motte as more of a 3rd line player. In terms of usage and production he certainly has been better than a 4th line player. So if you view him as more of a 3rd line guy and if he can stay healthy and maintain his level of play that's a very reasonable contract.

To me, Motte is a weird one. He's been an absolute anchor for Lammikko. As a Canuck he hasn't really spent a whole lot of time playing with Horvat and Petey and when he has he actually hasn't been productive. We're talking about small sample size of course but Motte might not be a guy you want to move up the lineup to play with better linemates.

Dickinson's contract sucks. He's been such a poor fit here. Like WTF. His offensive game has absolutely cratered and that stretches back to his last season in Dallas. The guy should spend the summer improving his faceoffs so that he can be trusted to play C.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah the Jason Dickinson contract will likely cost us Motte... especially if the ask is 4 x 2.5.

What a useless pickup.. the guy brings nothing. Waste of money.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Agreed on Lammikko and Highmore. I’m not ready to pencil them into our future - it wasn’t long ago these guys were waiver fodder players. Hasn’t even been a full season and people are biting hard on this being a fourth line that will stick around for the next 5 years or something.

Need more than half a season to convince me.

Lots of forth line guys can impress for stretches/one season then fall back on waivers. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the future for Lammikko. Highmore I see more potential if he can develop himself on the PK

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lots of forth line guys can impress for stretches/one season then fall back on waivers. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the future for Lammikko. Highmore I see more potential if he can develop himself on the PK

Lammikko is playing like a solid #3C now in #3C minutes, though.

I wouldn't bank on that long-term, but I think it would be a reasonably safe assumption that he can cheaply and solidly handle #4C minutes going forward.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Pretty much where I fall on the topic. New coach and these guys are having a decent stretch of games since. I don’t know…I’m just very wary.

Reactions: Pip

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Lammikko is playing like a solid #3C now in #3C minutes, though.

I wouldn't bank on that long-term, but I think it would be a reasonably safe assumption that he can cheaply and solidly handle #4C minutes going forward.

I have no issues with retaining him on a cheap short deal. He’s played really well and has some room to regress and still be a decent player. I guess I just need more time I guess to lock him in. Tbf I was a big Motte doubter so could be off base.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Pretty much where I fall on the topic. New coach and these guys are having a decent stretch of games since. I don’t know…I’m just very wary.

Like if Motte goes elsewhere and Highmore regresses will the magic be lost for Lammikko? I have my suspicions

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Like I said above, these guys are playing well above 4th line level right now.

If you are looking at Lammikko under Boudreau and saying 'Lammikko is a 30-point #3C who can play 14 minutes/game for this team going forward!' that is probably going to be a bad opinion.

But based on what we've seen from him, I would be pretty comfortable saying that Lammikko could competently fill 10-11 minutes/game as a 15-point #4C going forward. And that would be great, especially signed for $1 million or so.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I have no issues with retaining him on a cheap short deal. He’s played really well and has some room to regress and still be a decent player. I guess I just need more time I guess to lock him in. Tbf I was a big Motte doubter so could be off base.

I would sign any/every depth player who shows potential long-term at $1 million if it's possible.

You have nothing to lose because you can just bury those entire contracts in the AHL if they don't work out, but if they do work out you're creating massive value for yourself.

Reactions: timw33

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I would sign any/every depth player who shows potential long-term at $1 million if it's possible.

You have nothing to lose because you can just bury those entire contracts in the AHL if they don't work out, but if they do work out you're creating massive value for yourself.

While true I’m not sure that we would if the situation arises

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
While true I’m not sure that we would if the situation arises

We gave Justin Dowling, Brady Keeper, and Brad Hunt one-way deals last summer. We've been OK giving guys cheap one-way deals and burying them.

Teves and Rafferty were on one-ways in 20-21.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Motte is one of the few guys who I wouldn't mind seeing just play out the season as a looming UFA....I think the Canucks would still have the inside track at signing him to an affordable contract in the off-season.

But I suppose if they fall out of it, the Canucks might get a mid to late round draft pick for him. Then see if they could re-sign him in the off-season. But usually players who get traded as UFA's, never do return.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
Motte is definitely in the sign or trade by the deadline category. It's unlikely his asking price rises between the TDL and the end of the season; if the team likes his asking price then sign him, if the team doesn't like it, then trade him at the TDL rather than let him go for free in the off-season for the ask you already refused. He'll be a highly sought after depth forward for a variety of contending teams.

Would prefer we keep him, but if we don't trade him and risk letting him walk to UFA for free it would sting even more.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Ask according to Surtaj Bhullar is 3 X 2.5M for Motte who turns 31 next season, the Canucks are seriously considering it, will probably get done.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
trade him

2.5m is fair, his ask is market value. But the point of being a GM is to get good or market value players from UFA if you can. And offload expiring contracts for assets

with a competent pro team you can find the next Motte

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Ask according to Surtaj Bhullar is 3 X 2.5M for Motte who turns 31 next season, the Canucks are seriously considering it, will probably get done.

He turns 27 in a few days (March 10), doesn't he? But if he is asking for 2.5 million, I pass. Too much.... I like his energy and effort, but not a that price

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Hard not to like Motte but I think he's priced out. He has injury problems and over the course of a 3-4yr deal we will be scratching our heads by the end.

If we didn't have so many mistakes with our Cap we'd have the luxury to overpay for a quality bottom 6 fwdnlike Motte. But this is a bad signing in our current state. Plug these holes with league minimum players and use the 2.5M Motte would cost on a d-man.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
IF he is asking 2.5 x 3, surely we could get him at 2.25 or 2 x 4. Motte is the one driving that line and he’s shown he can play with anyone.

Dumping Dickinson can’t be that hard to do. He sucks offensively but his defensive numbers aren’t bad.

Not to mention that we’re probably dumping a big contract in the off-season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Got to find a way to off load Dickinson so we can keep Motter.

Hey Zona need a free NHLer to replace Loui Antoine and Jay? I mean you kind of owe us for OELs contract. We'll throw in Hamonic so you get a pick at the deadline?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'd go 4 years at just under 2M, but I'd also be fine with trading him. I think Lammikko is going to get over 1M but probably well under 1.5M, and I'm fine with that too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad