Player Discussion Tyler Motte: What to do?

What should we do with Tyler Motte?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Motte is playing great... kinda almost like a guy that is playing hard on a contract year.....

I say trade him for picks/prospect. We easily replace him with a UFA or even offer to resign him after the season.

This is a business and the Canucks need to stop being a retirement home for old broken down almost retired players coming to Van for nice slow walks on the sea wall and the undecided breakfast at Coras...

Reactions: Dab

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
You tell him that you will be the first team that calls him in the summer and tell him you need to trade him. Then you get whatever you can for him. Unless he says he wants to stay and will take something under 2.5 and sign for 3 years. Keeping him is a luxury the team cannot afford right now. Remember what we could have got for Hamhuis then lost him for nothing?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Motte is playing great... kinda almost like a guy that is playing hard on a contract year.....

I say trade him for picks/prospect. We easily replace him with a UFA or even offer to resign him after the season.

This is a business and the Canucks need to stop being a retirement home for old broken down almost retired players coming to Van for nice slow walks on the sea wall and the undecided breakfast at Coras...
Is he easily replaced in UFA..?...easy for you to say....He's not your average 4th line ($750k) run of the mill grunt...He powers a line that is looking very effective indeed (more like a 3rd line)....and he will get market value (wherever he goes).

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I voted trade him, but it would depend on what other roster moves can be made, and what he would be willing to sign for.

While I don't agree that someone like Lockwood could come in and replace what Motte brings, as what Motte brings is effective and valuable, I also don't want to overpay Motte to bring it. I'd like to see Motte and Dickinson switch spots in the lineup and see if Motte can be productive with Pearson and Horvat (or whomever) and see if the Need A Contract (NAC) Line is as productive with Dick in Motte's spot.

This would help determine how valuable Highmore and the Finish guy are, and also give a better idea of what Motte's full value is.

Ideally, I'd only be re-signing Motte if A) Dick can be moved, and/or B) Motte shows he is a bona fide top 9 forward that is willing to come in around Dick's AAV. Motte very well might be the piece that makes the NAC Line work, but I'd like to experiment a bit and clear some cap before committing.

Then give him the Burrows treatment : sign this deal or you're being traded tomorrow.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
In the bubble, last year and this year Motte has been very good. He has improved every line he is on and been the best PKer on the team. Right now I would rank him only behind Demko, Hughes and Miller in terms of effectiveness. (might be some with more potential but they are not as effective as Motte is now) Before he returned our PK was a dreadful shambles and team was losing game after game b/c of it. Improvement only started after he returned and the PK is still only good when he is out on it.. Also he has been the back bone in establishing a truly good 4th line. This team now, and in the future, is significantly worse without him. There is hardly a game this year when Motte hasn't got a good ranking.

Getting back draft choices or prospects, is no guarantee you get another Motte. In fact, it is no guarantee, as we have seen time after time, of anything.

To me, Motte is a priority signing. You are looking at 3+ given his market value but he has shown so much more than others you might be thinking of giving raises to. He is, for example, a much better contributor then Boeser and I'd say Horvat. I don't understand why you wouldn't pay Motte b/c you want to sign others at a much higher salary when they bring a lot less than Motte. Having an outstanding skater around whom you can build an effective line, a excellent penalty killer who can produce offense on the PK and shot blocker who effectively gets the puck out of his zone consistently is a lot more important than others who can only chip in a few goals now and then or some defense man who is just as likely to have a bad game as he is a good game.

He should have been signed for longer at the end of last season but of course - Benning :shakehead and his screwed up one day at a time philosophy.

Reactions: Grumpy1

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
To me, Motte is a priority signing. You are looking at 3+ given his market value
Agreed! Mottes don't grow on trees. In all likelihood our GM does not get us back a return anything close to Motte's value.

Benning :shakehead and his screwed up one day at a time philosophy.
Uh, we are discussing a player Benning brought in... no need to pointlessly shoehorn his name in that way.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
In the bubble, last year and this year Motte has been very good. He has improved every line he is on and been the best PKer on the team. Right now I would rank him only behind Demko, Hughes and Miller in terms of effectiveness. (might be some with more potential but they are not as effective as Motte is now) Before he returned our PK was a dreadful shambles and team was losing game after game b/c of it. Improvement only started after he returned and the PK is still only good when he is out on it.. Also he has been the back bone in establishing a truly good 4th line. This team now, and in the future, is significantly worse without him. There is hardly a game this year when Motte hasn't got a good ranking.

Getting back draft choices or prospects, is no guarantee you get another Motte. In fact, it is no guarantee, as we have seen time after time, of anything.

To me, Motte is a priority signing. You are looking at 3+ given his market value but he has shown so much more than others you might be thinking of giving raises to. He is, for example, a much better contributor then Boeser and I'd say Horvat. I don't understand why you wouldn't pay Motte b/c you want to sign others at a much higher salary when they bring a lot less than Motte. Having an outstanding skater around whom you can build an effective line, a excellent penalty killer who can produce offense on the PK and shot blocker who effectively gets the puck out of his zone consistently is a lot more important than others who can only chip in a few goals now and then or some defense man who is just as likely to have a bad game as he is a good game.

He should have been signed for longer at the end of last season but of course - Benning :shakehead and his screwed up one day at a time philosophy.

You love Motte now because he's earning 1.225M a year, and is outperforming his value. But when you give 3M+ with term, your expectations of him will go up.

And filling the bottom 6 with expensive vets is a Benning special that no should team be doing.

You have similar players in Lammiko and Highmore who are earning half of what Motte's earning now. Heck I would give Highmore an extension than I would Motte.

Reactions: tradervik

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

I agree. I like Motter but let’s look at the facts - he has every reason to be giving every effort as it’s his opportunity to hit a home run contract, if not hit a triple. I would use all that energy and effort Motte is putting into the game and convert it into assets. Seems like a no-brainer to me. He is the exact kind of guy who stands out in a playoff run and quickly becomes a fan favourite.

Reactions: KingofSurrey

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Hope Motte stays at a reasonable cost. If it can't get done, we need to trade him and chalk it up as a cap casualty due to frivolous spending by the previous regime.

53or8

Nov 20, 2016
Most teams in the league can use his speed and greasiness on the pk.Trade him and see if he can hop back on the team at some point

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Get him re-signed at a decent price before the deadline, or trade him. Absolutely do not let him walk for nothing.

This will actually be a really good indicator of the new regime's competence.

Reactions: m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the Canucks could get Motte re-signed for decent money if they were prepared to offer him the security of some additional term on his contract. Motte is on record as saying he'll always be grateful to the Canuck organization for believing in him and giving him a chance.

Problem is, as good as he's played, he's also a third-fourth liner who's gone through a lot of injuries in his career. And the Canucks have a kid in Abbotsford--in Will Lockwood--who plays the same way and will be making close to the league minimum next season.

So I guess it's a tossup whether or not Motte returns. Might depend on how that Highmore-Lammikko-Motte line plays the rest of the way.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Trade him and then resign him after the season.
I see this talked about a lot. I see no reason why a traded player would want to sign with the team that traded him, certainly not for any kind of discount. It may occur in very specific circumstances where loyalty is very high, the player is near the end of his career, and the team wants to give him a chance to compete for the cup. None of those apply here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad