Player Discussion Tyler Motte: What to do?

What should we do with Tyler Motte?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
While it seems that his latest injury has taken a bit out of his game, he's still a very good player. I don't think it's a coincidence that Lammikko has emerged as a capable 4th line C since playing alongside Motte.

Motte, for his part, has been averaging ~30 points over 82 games since the Bubble. That's decent 3rd line production. He is, however, turning 27 and has a history of being unable to stay healthy. He should be worth at least a 3rd with a 2nd at the deadline being a good deal.

So what should we do with him? I say re-sign him and give him term in exchange for a lower AAV. He's a keeper. Thoughts?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Sign Highmore and Lammikko to 3 year extensions. Trade Motte. That's the best way to get value, but I prefer simply trading Myers and re-signing as many players as possible.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
You test the market and see what teams are willing to give up for Motte.

If it's a 2nd or 1st rounder, then you seriously think about moving him at the deadline, if it's anything less, then might as well keep him.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
You test the market and see what teams are willing to give up for Motte.

If it's a 2nd or 1st rounder, then you seriously think about moving him at the deadline, if it's anything less, then might as well keep him.

I love what Motte brings to the table but if a team offers up a 2nd you take that deal. If a team offers a 1st you drive Motte to the airport asap lol

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I think you trade him if pay increase is substantial because of injury history. It does depend on interest though as he is worth a lot to this year. If team is a few points out needs to be 2nd round at least. We need more Motte's going forward. Is he much different than Brandon Tanev? Kind of Pittsburgh type of grinder

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
If extension talks are too much money for too many tears, trade him. Do what Jim literally never could, sell high on an asset.

Reactions: MarkMM

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Depending on what he wants to resign for then I'd look to keep Motte if he can be signed to a home team discount. Motte has brought life to our 4th line, and him Lammikko, and Highmore have excellent chemistry together. Most nights they are the most energetic line on the Canucks.

Although if Motte could fetch a 1st or 2nd rounder, then I'd have no problem trading him away for some good potential assets for the future.

I voted keep, but thats assuming he could be retained at a discount.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I'll first say that I would trade nearly anyone on the team, if the offer was big enough.

What to do with Motte is a tricky one though. Love the energy he brings with his line but I would be very cautious at not only the kind of raise he gets (although earned) and what kind of term given.

Maybe it's just a hockey myth but how many times have we all seen the story of a beloved energy forward on a cheap deal becoming an anchor once they get paid and given term?

Interesting that the whole line is up for new contracts at the same time. If Llama and Motte keep pace with each other all of a sudden our cheap energy line might see a bump.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Trade unless you can move Dickinson. Cannot have 2 4th liners making 5 million.

Sucks because i love Motter but use the money to get someone who is a better scorer and has some size that can get to the inside/net and play in the top6.

Hoping JR PA can move Dickinson. Motte embodies what we need more of (speed tenacity compete). In fact that whole line does right now. When they go over the boards they are just flying and on their toes it's fun to watch. Would suck to lose the best of the trio.

Reactions: MarkMM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The first thing you have to do is figure out his contract demands.

If you can re-sign him for another 2-3 years at $2 million or less, you do that.

If he's demanding 3+ years at $3 million (and who could blame him given the contract we gave Dickinson) then you have to move on and trade him.

One interesting sidenote is that Rutherford has rented out a player in the past and then came back and re-signed him - Joe Corvo to Washington at the 2010 deadline and then re-signed by Carolina for 10-11.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Trade unless you can move Dickinson. Cannot have 2 4th liners making 5 million.

Sucks because i love Motter but use the money to get someone who is a better scorer and has some size that can get to the inside/net and play in the top6.

Hoping JR PA can move Dickinson. Motte embodies what we need more of (speed tenacity compete). In fact that whole line does right now. When they go over the boards they are just flying and on their toes it's fun to watch. Would suck to lose the best of the trio.

I hate this mentality.

We need a fresh start and we need to move forward with guys this administration wants and who embody the identity we want to create. Keeping a lump like Dickinson and trading Motte because of Dickinson would be totally backward, and a totally weak message about what this administration is about.

If Motte is affordable you move a pick to unload Dickinson if that's what it takes. I mean, we should probably be doing that anyway regardless of Motte.

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
The first thing you have to do is figure out his contract demands.

If you can re-sign him for another 2-3 years at $2 million or less, you do that.

If he's demanding 3+ years at $3 million (and who could blame him given the contract we gave Dickinson) then you have to move on and trade him.

One interesting sidenote is that Rutherford has rented out a player in the past and then came back and re-signed him - Joe Corvo to Washington at the 2010 deadline and then re-signed by Carolina for 10-11.

This. You do with Motte what we should have done last season with Pearson. If the offer is good enough, you move him and then make an effort to re-sign him in the offseason. If someone offers him term and 3+ mill/year in the open market, then so be it.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
I'd like us to keep Motte, he's exactly the type of player you need on your team if you envision the team "competing" in 2 years like Rutherford claimed. Depends on what Motte wants on an extension, if the ask is far too high then I think you consider selling him, but if it's affordable you keep him. He's a heart and soul guy loved by the entire franchise and captures the type of culture you'd want to rebuild in a team entirely lacking one after over 7 years of Benning.

He has potential to be this TDL's next Goodrow; he has the work ethic, physicality, grit and possibly even production for the Canucks to be able to sell him for a 2nd+ or even a 1st if a desperate enough playoff team comes around, but again, if this teams plan is to compete in 2-3 years, is a late 1st going to get you there? I don't think so, San Jose (Goodrow) and New Jersey (Coleman) are pretty much no closer to competing since selling their Motte-like players 2 years out of those trades. Rutherford's drafting history is very underwhelming, you think he's going to draft an NHL-ready player with a late 1st who can contribute immediately?

Trading Motte only makes sense if the teams plan is to do a rebuild, or if Motte demands a contract that is unaffordable.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The only reason I can think of keeping Motte is he is Bedard's favourite player and it would keep Bedard happy when he lands here in 2023. :sarcasm:

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I've wondered by Motte doesn't play with Horvat? He seems like he would help a lot with the tough matchups that Horvat usually gets. And he's skilled enough that he won't drag that line down.

Reactions: MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
We also need to stop referring to Motte as a '4th liner'.

He's a 3rd liner. In 78 games since the start of the bubble he's 16-11-27 (excellent 3rd line numbers) in over 15:00/game (3rd line icetime, and then some).

That whole line is playing like, producing, and being given 3rd line ice time. When anyone refers to them as the 4th line, my eye twitches.

Reactions: MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That whole line is playing like, producing, and being given 3rd line ice time. When anyone refers to them as the 4th line, my eye twitches.

The 3 guys with the lowest ES TOI last night were Hoglander, Pettersson, and Podkolzin. That was actually the 4th line.

Reactions: Vector

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I've wondered by Motte doesn't play with Horvat? He seems like he would help a lot with the tough matchups that Horvat usually gets. And he's skilled enough that he won't drag that line down.

The reason why is because he doesn't have any hands. Motte can do alot of things well, but passing, driving possession and receiving passes are all huge problems for him. Even on his own line its Laminko, someone we should try to sign to a cheap contract or also sell high on, and Highmore who do the cycling, while Motte does the forechecking and network.

It's shame because if he could hone in on his deficiencies he'd have a colemen like impact and be paid like it

That's why 2 coaches who would trade an entire team for a team of Mottes never give him more then a period with top 6 players.

Side note: The Fridge is back in the NHL. 4 points in 6 games and 8 points in last 10 NHL games!!!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The reason why is because he doesn't have any hands. Motte can do alot of things well, but passing, driving possession and receiving passes are all huge problems for him. Even on his own line its Laminko, someone we should try to sign to a cheap contract or also sell high on, and Highmore who do the cycling, while Motte does the forechecking and network.

It's shame because if he could hone in on his deficiencies he'd have a colemen like impact and be paid like it

That's why 2 coaches who would trade an entire team for a team of Mottes never give him more then a period with top 6 players.

Side note: The Fridge is back in the NHL. 4 points in 6 games and 8 points in last 10 NHL games!!!

Despite having 'no hands' he's scoring ES goals at a higher rate/82 than Brock Boeser since the start of the bubble.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I hate this mentality.

We need a fresh start and we need to move forward with guys this administration wants and who embody the identity we want to create. Keeping a lump like Dickinson and trading Motte because of Dickinson would be totally backward, and a totally weak message about what this administration is about.

If Motte is affordable you move a pick to unload Dickinson if that's what it takes. I mean, we should probably be doing that anyway regardless of Motte.
I don't like it either but Motte will want term (im thinking 3yrs at minimum) and will be getting to the ages where he will likely be breaking down (we had this discussion re:Roussel and you proved a good point on ages and 4th liners without size) and it's a poor cap allocation to spend that much on 4th liners collectively and the extension would take away almost all of the little wiggle room they have.

Motte is a few yrs younger 27 vs 29 from Roussel so i understand that and wouldn't be afraid on 3yrs but him getting hurt is a more likely scenario as the hard miles add up. Another consideration not a big one though

If they can't move Dickinson then buying him out is an option and saves 1.7 next year and 2.25 in 23/24. The problem with that is even if Lockwood replaced him at 750k on the roster it's not much (950k and then 1.5 the next) then you have a million on the books for 2yrs after that so it's not much if any relief at the end of the day. Not great

Best option is to probably to trade Boeser and try to attach Dickinson as that rids the 7.5 QO headache his awful defensive play and the 2.65 that Dickinson is making and gives them a quality amount of money to make some impactful changes.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018

Huh, he doesn't strike me as a "no hands" kind of guy like a Dickinson. He even shows some creative flashes from time to time. I think he's got 3rd line skill and an elite motor.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Huh, he doesn't strike me as a "no hands" kind of guy like a Dickinson. He even shows some creative flashes from time to time. I think he's got 3rd line skill and an elite motor.

Maybe its less hands and more hand eye coordination

When ever I watch him he just sucks at receiving passes and making them. Partly linemates I guess, but there has to be a reason why 2 coaches who are in love with him don't play him up in the lineup for long. Its not like he doesn't chances, we saw him with Horvat for 2/3 games in Jaunary I think and Motte did get chances with Miller and Horvat with Green, though Green was quick to turn on the line blender

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't like it either but Motte will want term (im thinking 3yrs at minimum) and will be getting to the ages where he will likely be breaking down (we had this discussion re:Roussel and you proved a good point on ages and 4th liners without size) and it's a poor cap allocation to spend that much on 4th liners collectively and the extension would take away almost all of the little wiggle room they have.

Motte is a few yrs younger 27 vs 29 from Roussel so i understand that and wouldn't be afraid on 3yrs but him getting hurt is a more likely scenario as the hard miles add up. Another consideration not a big one though

If they can't move Dickinson then buying him out is an option and saves 1.7 next year and 2.25 in 23/24. The problem with that is even if Lockwood replaced him at 750k on the roster it's not much (950k and then 1.5 the next) then you have a million on the books for 2yrs after that so it's not much if any relief at the end of the day. Not great

Best option is to probably to trade Boeser and try to attach Dickinson as that rids the 7.5 QO headache his awful defensive play and the 2.65 that Dickinson is making and gives them a quality amount of money to make some impactful changes.

You definitely don't give him 4 years. If you give him 3 it runs out just after he turns 30 (and the same age when Roussel hurt his knee) ... which is fine.

Injuries are absolutely a consideration and the hope would be that it drives down the price.

I'm not locked on keeping Motte or anything. It's just that when you look at where this team needs to go and what they need to get better at and the identity we need to forge ... it's hard to take a step backward instead of forward by dumping the guy who most embodies that.

Reactions: sting101

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Despite having 'no hands' he's scoring ES goals at a higher rate/82 than Brock Boeser since the start of the bubble.

That's true and is mostly don't to his motor though he does occasionally succeed with some pretty goals

Competition and his amazing motor are probably the reason for that

If this line ever slows down, I want to see him get an extended run with Miller, Pettersson or Horvat. If Dickinson and Pearson can get free passes with these guys I don't know why Motte or even Highmore can't get a chance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad