Player Discussion Tyler Motte: What to do?

What should we do with Tyler Motte?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Depends what price he’s after. If he wants a big payday I’ll be happy for him, but it’ll be with another team.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I think he gets traded unless they somehow figure out how to unload Dickinson or maybe Pearson without taking money back. I really like Motte and think he can play up the lineup but I'm not sure they can afford to pay the $2.5-3m it may take to re-sign him. I'd love to see him play on Horvat or Miller's wing for a bit to showcase him (or see if he's maybe worth re-signing) and have them call up Lockwood for a stretch of games to play with Lammiko and Highmore. I think he's worth $2m but if he played up the lineup and did well for 5-10 games I'd be a bit less wary of signing him for more.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Offer him Dickinson's contract and if he declines you know he's about the money and you trade him.
You can offer him the extra year and maybe a slightly higher AAV if it makes the difference. Motte on a 4 year 2.75m deal would be decent.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I'd like to retain him, but I have to be realistic. These are the types of cap casualties we can expect, especially if we decide to retain Horvat, Miller and Boeser. Something has to give, we don't have enough cap room. If we can't get him signed to a reasonable contract, flip him at the deadline. We are in no position for self rentals.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I love Motte and in a perfect world I would be all for keeping him.
But his playing style is not going to be maintainable over the long haul. Even still, if he had the skill to play up a line or two, then paying him would be agreeable to me... but we've seen what happens when you pay real money for 4th liners. I've been waiting years for us to have an effective and cost effective 4th line and, for now, we do... but it's probably time to flip him for some decent assets and bring up Lockwood.

Reactions: mossey3535

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I don’t know that he’s going to be offered $3 million. I’m not sure he’s been consistent enough for that. I’d even give home 4 years if it meant we could get him around $2 million. He has adapted his game and even if he gets injured at that salary it isn’t catastrophic. We simply cannot give him more than 2.5 though. If he wants that then we have to trade him. Thank goodness our management has said we can’t afford to loose UFAs for nothing

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don’t know that he’s going to be offered $3 million. I’m not sure he’s been consistent enough for that. I’d even give home 4 years if it meant we could get him around $2 million. He has adapted his game and even if he gets injured at that salary it isn’t catastrophic. We simply cannot give him more than 2.5 though. If he wants that then we have to trade him. Thank goodness our management has said we can’t afford to loose UFAs for nothing
Kinda nuts thinking of Dickinsons contract and how little he produces or is effective compared to Motte well we are discussing what Mottes next contract will be at less than Dickis contract

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I’m really not sure Motte would get the $2.5 to $3 million with term that some think. If I look at the Goodrow, B. Tanev, Coleman, Hagel, Roussell, Beagle, etc. they all bring more than Motte in terms of production, physicality, position, or SC experience. Maybe if Motte can get up to 15g 15a this year then he might enter that range, but I don’t think he’s there yet. Although GMs are dumb so who knows

Last edited:

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Kinda nuts thinking of Dickinsons contract and how little he produces or is effective compared to Motte well we are discussing what Mottes next contract will be at less than Dickis contract
It is nuts but even in that case, Dickinson was signed to be a shutdown 3C, which won’t be the case for Motte

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’m really not sure Motte would get the $2.5 to $3 million with term that some think. If I look at the Goodrow, B. Tanev, Coleman, Hagel, Roussell, Beagle, etc. they all bring more than Motte in terms of production, physicality, position, or SC experience. Maybe if Motte can get up to 15g 15a this year then he might enter that range, but I don’t think he’s there yet. Although GMs are dumb so who knows

Same here but I acknowledge the possibility.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Motte and Highmore are talented, quick, fiesty wingers that are capable of playing on the 3rd line and are excellent penalty killers. Re-sign Motte.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Motte and Highmore are talented, quick, fiesty wingers that are capable of playing on the 3rd line and are excellent penalty killers. Re-sign Motte.
I think we’re so used to having a dog shit 4th line that this line has us shook. It’s not a sustainably good 3rd line. I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong but to me it’s clearly a 4th line on a good team. Motte might be the guy who can be a legit 3rd line 9 player but I’m not seeing it with the other 2 due to limited puck skills

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I expect some team will be willing to pay a 2nd round pick at the TDL for Motte. If that's the offer, the Canucks should take it.

Everyone loves Motte, but it's almost never worth extending 4th line players at medium money, which he'll likely find on the free agent market. If Motte wants to take a 4 year x $1.5M deal? Alright, deal. But I think he's looking at his once chance for a decent payout this offseason.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I expect some team will be willing to pay a 2nd round pick at the TDL for Motte. If that's the offer, the Canucks should take it.

Everyone loves Motte, but it's almost never worth extending 4th line players at medium money, which he'll likely find on the free agent market. If Motte wants to take a 4 year x $1.5M deal? Alright, deal. But I think he's looking at his once chance for a decent payout this offseason.

4 year term for a 4th line player that can fill in on the 3rd at times is a bit long. 3 years x $1.5M before the deadline or flip him for a 3rd at the deadline (doubt we get a 2nd).

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Motte is a guy id love to see play on the 4th line with some sporadic 3rd line duty but also feel he could get a decent return (3rd and maybe a 5th or 6th next year).

I doubt it would happen but the perfect Christmas land scenario would be he gets traded to compete for a cup & gets signed in the off season by PA / JR

Bob Cajun

Mar 3, 2021
Motte is a guy id love to see play on the 4th line with some sporadic 3rd line duty but also feel he could get a decent return (3rd and maybe a 5th or 6th next year).

I doubt it would happen but the perfect Christmas land scenario would be he gets traded to compete for a cup & gets signed in the off season by PA / JR

Exactly what should happen. Exactly what we should have done last year with Pearson. Optimistic that this management team makes the right choice here for the long term benefit of the team

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Can our PK afford to lose Motte? He's one of our best and the PK is already brutal even with him. At this point I'd rather see Boeser move on than Motte at this point.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think we’re so used to having a dog shit 4th line that this line has us shook. It’s not a sustainably good 3rd line. I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong but to me it’s clearly a 4th line on a good team. Motte might be the guy who can be a legit 3rd line 9 player but I’m not seeing it with the other 2 due to limited puck skills
Agreed on Lammikko and Highmore. I’m not ready to pencil them into our future - it wasn’t long ago these guys were waiver fodder players. Hasn’t even been a full season and people are biting hard on this being a fourth line that will stick around for the next 5 years or something.

Need more than half a season to convince me.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Id love to keep him at like 2x2 but that’s a pipe dream. Trade him for a 2nd

Lockwood is ready for a similar development curve.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Listening to Rinkwide and they hear that he's asking for $2.5M. Pass.

That Dickinson contract is even more regrettable now but again I don't want us to be committing real money to bottom-3 players.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
PS I think Motte is great, especially his advocacy off the ice. But that's the cold hard numbers of the league. If we had actual cap space it gives you the luxury to retain some guys like this. But Benning left those cupboards bare (and most of the other ones).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad