Player Discussion Tyler Motte Appreciation

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
You honestly believe that a player that has shown some modest improvement of late should take a 25% pay cut, and that if he doesn't that "Bailey or Michaelis or whoever" will replace his PK effectiveness? Really? That is an...interesting take.

I don't really think he's shown modest improvement. He happened to have the game of his career at a very fortunate time.

I didn't literally mean 700k, that was just my way of saying "dirt cheap", but I don't think he should be making over 1mil. Especially when combined with the fact that this is a team that has put itself into a position where they have to penny pinch.

I don't know if his replacement will be as effective as a PKer, but if he wants 1.5+, I'm more than willing to experiment with other players. Maybe the players who replace him will actually be competent at 5v5.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Agree with a lot of the sentiment in this thread, good 4th liner but not someone you should commit big money and term to.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Thinking a fringe 4th liner who had a good game to score his first points in 13 games might be comparable to 60-point NHLers is ... probably not a great road to be going down.

lolz. thanks for the lecture on how to be a fan.

as for me, i think motte has been following an upward trajectory for much longer than "one game". he's been a force the entire playoffs and one of our most effective players against st. louis. before that has made the team out of camp against expectations. he's a guy written off when we acquired him as a bad trade compared to a 6th round pick who has become a regular in the lineup. so the folks who wrote him off immediately, maybe should eat crow instead of lecturing those who didn't on how to assess him.

the latest in a long line of knocks on motte is that he couldn't sustain the high energy play that got him on the regular season roster and wore down. if that is disproven, as all the other knocks on the guy have been disproven, then you have a guy who has elevated himself into a good nhl player, not a tweener or replacement player.

that's my point. if he can sustain that energy he transforms himself in the way others have done before. and i stand by the the gelinas and burrows analogies. they are two players that found an energy level that transformed their game. and they did it in part by boosting their icetime with indispensible penalty killing.

anyway, how about you be you and i'll be me, and we'll follow our own roads and decide who took the "good road" when we reach the destination, mm'kay?

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It also seems like there's a pattern with Motte where he always goes balls to the wall which results in last night's game, everyone gets super high on him and compares him to Jannik Hansen, but he can never follow up that performance maintaining the same high energy level, then he'll randomly play way too much like 18-19 minutes and do nothing, and the pattern repeats itself.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
lolz. thanks for the lecture on how to be a fan.

as for me, i think motte has been following an upward trajectory for much longer than "one game". he's been a force the entire playoffs and one of our most effective players against st. louis. before that has made the team out of camp against expectations. he's a guy written off when we acquired him as a bad trade compared to a 6th round pick who has become a regular in the lineup. so the folks who wrote him off immediately, maybe should eat crow instead of lecturing those who didn't on how to assess him.

the latest in a long line of knocks on motte is that he couldn't sustain the high energy play that got him on the regular season roster and wore down. if that is disproven, as all the other knocks on the guy have been disproven, then you have a guy who has elevated himself into a good nhl player, not a tweener or replacement player.

that's my point. if he can sustain that energy he transforms himself in the way others have done before. and i stand by the the gelinas and burrows analogies. they are two players that found an energy level that transformed their game. and they did it in part by boosting their icetime with indispensible penalty killing.

anyway, how about you be you and i'll be me, and we'll follow our own roads and decide who took the "good road" when we reach the destination, mm'kay?

Gelinas and Burrows were long-term top-6 NHL forwards. Gelinas was a 20-goal scorer in the NHL at age 20.

There has been no upward trajectory with Motte. He's always been a good PK guy. He's also always been kinda crap at ES and was outscored by a 2:1 ratio at ES this year. And my definition of 'force' in the playoffs isn't 0 points, -3 in 8 games.

The ceiling on Motte is a 10-10-20 4th liner who is a high-end PK guy. Comparing him to 30-goal scorers like Gelinas and Burrows is insanity.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Gaunce was one of those players that honestly was better than the career he got. Every chance he had I felt like he played totally fine and would have been a good career 4th liner

Totally. I don't see how he underperformed the role of a competent 4th line C whenever he was put there.

I liked Gaunce but I think his 0 goal 57 game season killed his career. The game got quicker and he had heavy boots which forced him to be more of a passive player than the typical 4th line player. Maybe he gets another opportunity like Adam Cracknell did.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Announcers were saying last night, that Motte scored 32 goals in 38 games playing with J.T. Compher and Kyle Connor with Michigan in the NCAA. It was always assumed that his goal totals were the result of his linemates.....but as we saw last night, he does have some offensive skill.

One of Benning's more underrated trades imo. He's an energy player who drives the fourth line; kills penalties and is relentless on the puck. Just the kind of guy you need in the playoffs.

Reactions: David71

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I liked Gaunce but I think his 0 goal 57 game season killed his career. The game got quicker and he had heavy boots which forced him to be more of a passive player than the typical 4th line player. Maybe he gets another opportunity like Adam Cracknell did.

a) the number of goals a player scores really doesn't matter. The point is to outscore the opposition and Gaunce's defensive results that year were insanely good and he sawed off his very tough minutes.

b) he was also insanely unlucky that year and the 0 goals thing was clearly a fluke. Multiple goalposts, etc.

c) he's scored at a 10 goal/82 game pace since that season.

Stuff like this spooks me. If it is a 2 year deal at 1 mill/year then sure, however if he gets anymore term or money than that it would be very disappointing.

Yup, this is the sort of telegraphing that always happens. Plus a highly suspicious account on this board was telegraphing the same thing.

Absolute idiocy. You don't give players term coming off 8-point seasons. But it's the most Benning thing ever to do.

Announcers were saying last night, that Motte scored 32 goals in 38 games playing with J.T. Compher and Kyle Connor with Michigan in the NCAA. It was always assumed that his goal totals were the result of his linemates.....but as we saw last night, he does have some offensive skill.

One of Benning's more underrated trades imo. He's an energy player who drives the fourth line; kills penalties and is relentless on the puck. Just the kind of guy you need in the playoffs.

Motte scored 32 points in 67 AHL games. There is not some hidden offensive player lurking there. That one season he had at Michigan was a total outlier driven by elite linemates. He scored 18 goals in his other 69 college games.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

IIRC Gaunce always had very solid shot metrics. Basically nothing happening on the ice for either team, which is about as good as it gets for a 4th liner. Even if there's no offense, he's not getting shelled, so it's a net neutral.

Stuff like this spooks me. If it is a 2 year deal at 1 mill/year then sure, however if he gets anymore term or money than that it would be very disappointing.

Eep. Hopefully not the Jay Beagle special.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Ryan Johnson once scored a nice goal for the Canucks and there were people here wondering if he had hidden offensive potential and was just held back by coaches and pigeonholed his entire career. He had played 550 prior games and people were still questioning. This is the exact same thing.

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
I honestly don't see the point in arguing against posts that say Brendan Gaunce or Darren Archibald could accomplish anything near what Tyler Motte has accomplished in the 2020 playoffs. Like the J.T. Miller trade "still being up for debate," I think Brian Burke's comments about elements of the Vancouver fanbase are becoming more accurate every day.

Reactions: stampedingviking

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
100%. He's not Alex Burrows guys.

i said he could be doing a burrows or gelinas, referring to a certain way of achieving success through relentless hustle lifting your entire game.

and even burrows was not burrows right up until he was burrows.

but you guys know better.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I honestly don't see the point in arguing against posts that say Brendan Gaunce or Darren Archibald could accomplish anything near what Tyler Motte has accomplished in the 2020 playoffs. Like the J.T. Miller trade "still being up for debate," I think Brian Burke's comments about elements of the Vancouver fanbase are becoming more accurate every day.

yep, i'd love for those guys to do that, but chances are very low they'd have made the taxi squad let alone the lineup. it's ridiculous to compare them to a guy actually doing it and thriving. there are posters here so heavily invested in a narrative that if we win the cup, they'll demand an asterix.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
The interesting thing is that Motte is the same age as Bo. He can easily grow with the core of this group. I think most assume he’s a late 20s year old-30s journeymen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

We have no idea what those guys would have done so it's a pointless argument.

Prior to last night's game, what Tyler Motte 'accomplished' in these playoffs was some good penalty killing and some ineffective ES play. The overreaction here is incredible.

i said he could be doing a burrows or gelinas, referring to a certain way of achieving success through relentless hustle lifting your entire game.

and even burrows was not burrows right up until he was burrows.

but you guys know better.

If you'd compared him to some 20-point 3rd liner who carved out a good NHL career, that's totally fair. Comparing him to guys who were 35-goal front-line players in this league because he had a good game - snapping a 13-game pointless streak - is ridiculous.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
*edit* Already posted but Motte is a beast!
Ef2RxDbVoAAtQIK

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
He's a very good fourth liner: a 2 year deal at $1 million per would be a good deal for the canucks. The problem is Benning so often pays a premium for bottom six talent. Jay Beagle anyone?

However, the result is that Canucks just don't have the cap space to make any more of those kind of signings, which might be Bennings saving grace. If he has any brain at all he will be pinching pennies on every signing for the next 3 years.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yes anything above 1.25 for 2yrs and i'm not happy. Motte had an amazing game and deserves credit. Analytics for 4th line heavy defensive zone starters is laughable. The job is to bend and not break and his PK work hits shot blocks and pace and intensity has been excellent. He's still a 4th liner at the end of the day though.

Brendan Gaunce?? really guys. If you like too slow and soft big men who play the most uninteresting scratch your eyes out boring hockey then fill your boots. The fact that some thought he was a good 3rd liner was brow raising enough lets not go back down that rabbit hole. That guy was like watching old timer hockey at 8Rinks and i say that as someone who liked him as a person.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad