Player Discussion Tyler Motte Appreciation

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Bumping this thread to acknowledge the performance of Tyler Motte.

He’s been exceptional in his role these playoffs. With those wheels you do wonder if he could turn into Jannik Hansen-lite. Wishful thinking perhaps, but who are we to say he can’t get there.

Much more important then his on ice contributions, admire his courage earlier this year opening up and sharing his story about living with depression.

Way to go Tyler!

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
the way motte blocked shots earlier this afternoon, the guys owe motte a beer party. guy's an absolute beast on the PK. speed and tenacious on the forecheck. good JOB tyler.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Not sure how people can watch this guy play and not realize he’s an elite penalty killer. Guy is unbelievable at disrupting the opposition, getting into passing lanes and blocking shots.

Get him locked into a cheap, 3 year deal this offseason. He would probably accept a low cap hit, just for the job security. He is the perfect 4LW.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Not sure how people can watch this guy play and not realize he’s an elite penalty killer. Guy is unbelievable at disrupting the opposition, getting into passing lanes and blocking shots.

Get him locked into a cheap, 3 year deal this offseason. He would probably accept a low cap hit, just for the job security. He is the perfect 4LW.

Yeah, he is outstanding on the pk. Just wish he was a little better 5 on 5, doesn't help that he's saddled with Beagle for those minutes however.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Whoa whoa whoa..........yeah he's a good penalty killer but I'm seeing words like elite etc. thrown around which are definitely excess exuberance based on our last 2 games. 5 on 5 he always looks like he's doing something but doesn't actually do much (if that makes any sense)

Calm down peoples.........He has been effective yes but I don't think the words "Tyler Motte" and "elite" belong in the same sentence.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, he is outstanding on the pk. Just wish he was a little better 5 on 5, doesn't help that he's saddled with Beagle for those minutes however.

But even 5 on 5 he can give you 10 even strength goals a year. That’s excellent production for a 4th line winger playing those minutes.

The lack of shot share results 5 on 5 is likely heavily influenced from Beagle, a less than stellar backend and the tough utilization. Don’t believe it’s from Motte not carrying his weight in that role.

People have been calling for this guy to be out of the lineup and I just cannot wrap my head around it. He’s the prototype 4th line winger, and a valuable piece, especially for a team like the Canucks that is heavy on skill, and light on checking ability.

3 more years!

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Whoa whoa whoa..........yeah he's a good penalty killer but I'm seeing words like elite etc. thrown around which are definitely excess exuberance based on our last 2 games. 5 on 5 he always looks like he's doing something but doesn't actually do much (if that makes any sense)

Calm down peoples.........He has been effective yes but I don't think the words "Tyler Motte" and "elite" belong in the same sentence.

Tyler Motte and elite penalty killer absolutely belong in the same sentence.

It took the last couple of games for some to notice this, but it was apparent long before the play-in started.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Amazing player!

Elite Penalty Killer, endless motor.

I remember the online explosion we had here on HF when people were pissed that all we got for Vanek was Tyler Motte at the Trade Deadline.

He's been a very very good player for us!

I'd love to make him part of the core and build around him in the bottom 6.

Gotta have his type of player if you want to win a cup

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This happens every time Motte has an extended break and is fresh. He has a super-energetic first 4 or 5 games and everyone is like 'Oooh Motte! What energy!' and then he can't sustain it and his next 20 games after that are dog crap where he's completely useless and bleeding goals.

He is a very good PK guy. But at ES he has to be redlined every shift to be effective and when he falls off even a little bit he becomes a liability. That said, at least he's cheap and that makes him better value than most of this team's depth players.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
He set a franchise record yesterday with 7 blocked shots in a playoff game.
He could become an elite 4th liner or great bottom 6 forward. His college stats show he has some offensive upside that might still be untapped in the NHL.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Tyler Motte and elite penalty killer absolutely belong in the same sentence.

It took the last couple of games for some to notice this, but it was apparent long before the play-in started.

I dunno man......he's played a nice few games..........but so has Brandon Sutter.........by this definition he's also elite.

This board has a tendency to go a wee bit overboard in both their enthusiasm and pessimism based on a game or two. We could really take a page out of Bill Bellichek's playbook by taking it one game at a time and not getting too high or too low.

If Motte can keep this up for a few seasons fine.........a few games does not make him elite.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I dunno man......he's played a nice few games..........but so has Brandon Sutter.........by this definition he's also elite.

This board has a tendency to go a wee bit overboard in both their enthusiasm and pessimism based on a game or two. We could really take a page out of Bill Bellichek's playbook by taking it one game at a time and not getting too high or too low.

If Motte can keep this up for a few seasons fine.........a few games does not make him elite.

I see your point about Sutter and his inconsistencies, but Sutter is paid to play like a top 6 forward (or top 9 at the very least). Motte is making $970k. That drastically changes the expectations for the players.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
He could become an elite 4th liner or great bottom 6 forward. His college stats show he has some offensive upside that might still be untapped in the NHL.

No offensive move other than speed to the outside-- which rarely works for him, partly because he is small and partly because he doesn't have the moves to freeze a defender at the blue line-- and his passing is truly abysmal by NHL standards. He has 4th-line NHL goal scoring touch and that's the highlight of his offensive ability. I've watched a lot of AHL games in these past two seasons; Motte's moves, puck skills and offensive instincts wouldn't stand out at all in that league.

He's in the NHL as a low-level player because he is a fast skater who tries hard and has adequate defensive intelligence. To my eyes he is a league-average 13th/14th forward who has been hanging onto a regular spot on a subpar fourth line. Whenever his skating declines, that will be the end of his NHL days.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I love what Motte brings, and there's no doubt that he inspires the rest of the bench..Good 4th liner who should be here for years to come..A lot better than the 3rd or 4th round pick everybody wanted at the time.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

I was calling him an elite penalty killer before this series started. The playoffs haven’t changed my perception of his short handed work at all.

He hasn’t been an elite P.K. guy for a few games, he’s done it over a sustained period, while showing steady progression in that area over the past couple seasons.

Motte’s durability is the only question mark with this player. If he can stay healthy, he’s the perfect 4th line winger.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I love what Motte brings, and there's no doubt that he inspires the rest of the bench..Good 4th liner who should be here for years to come..A lot better than the 3rd or 4th round pick everybody wanted at the time.

How do you know that? None of us do. Tyler Madden was a 3rd round pick in the 2018 draft, not that 2018 would necessarily be the year of the draft pick received.

Reactions: Blue and Green

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Playoffs are where guys like Motte earn their keep because otherwise it's hard to place value on an undersized 9-10 goal under 20 point 4th line winger who plays more than a typical 4th line player.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Playoffs are where guys like Motte earn their keep because otherwise it's hard to place value on an undersized 9-10 goal under 20 point 4th line winger who plays more than a typical 4th line player.

Players like Motte earn their keep throughout the season, they just don’t get appreciated by fans; because fans don’t really care about penalty killing.

There is a reason Travis Green won’t take Motte out of the lineup for a guy like Virtanen. And it’s not because Green is an idiot. It’s because an elite penalty killer is a valuable, tough to replace piece. And that’s what Tyler Motte is.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Players like Motte earn their keep throughout the season, they just don’t get appreciated by fans; because fans don’t really care about penalty killing.

There is a reason Travis Green won’t take Motte out of the lineup for a guy like Virtanen. And it’s not because Green is an idiot. It’s because an elite penalty killer is a valuable, tough to replace piece. And that’s what Tyler Motte is.

Getting consistently outscored by a 2:1 ratio at ES pretty much negates the good PK work.

It's easy to like Motte when he has a few high-energy games like this and forget how useless he gets for long stretches when he isn't fresh and red-lining himself.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Getting consistently outscored by a 2:1 ratio at ES pretty much negates the good PK work.

It's easy to like Motte when he has a few high-energy games like this and forget how useless he gets for long stretches when he isn't fresh and red-lining himself.

Again though the guy is saddled to Beagle with a rotating cast on RW. Would be curious to see what his numbers look like, or would look like, apart from Beagle.

Reactions: Get North

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
This happens every time Motte has an extended break and is fresh. He has a super-energetic first 4 or 5 games and everyone is like 'Oooh Motte! What energy!' and then he can't sustain it and his next 20 games after that are dog crap where he's completely useless and bleeding goals.

He is a very good PK guy. But at ES he has to be redlined every shift to be effective and when he falls off even a little bit he becomes a liability. That said, at least he's cheap and that makes him better value than most of this team's depth players.

He's the forward version of Biega.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

I don't know, I think a player like Motte I'd want to keep on short term deals. Keep him hungry. Sometimes you see players of a certain style that get paid and stop doing what's made them effective.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Motte always has a use - he’s the best penalty killing forward on the club.

He’s also not put in a position to look good based on his usage. He gets buried in tough matchups, with poor forward line mates and has played in front of a weak defense too.

He does tend to get banged up with his style of play, and that leads to stretches where he isn’t at his best. But when healthy, this guy is the strongest checking forward on the club. And he provides good even strength goal scoring and a lot of physical play too.

This is a player they should be looking to lock up on a multi-year deal with a team friendly cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->