Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Not sure this is entirely true. Point has played a tad over 17 minutes and had two points over his last three games. I don't know about his zone starts, but 17 minutes isn't sheltered.

I don't know if anyone is thinking Johnson replacement at this point, but they see something in him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Johnson's speed is coming back, I think/hope. He's looked significantly faster in the last two games, IMO.

I'd like to reunite the Triplets. 17-91-27 up top.

ESimp

Oct 20, 2016
I am thinking he might have just hit his stride. That defection last night was a think of beauty.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've felt like he's been getting gradually faster over the last four games. Last game he seemed to have a lot more explosiveness, but he's still got another gear we've yet to see this year. When Johnson's skating as best as he can, I often find myself wondering if he's the fastest player in the NHL. I haven't wondered that about him yet this year. But it's getting closer and closer.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Very encouraging game for Tyler :handclap:I hope it continues because he really is in my opinion our spark plug and when he gets it going other follow him and elevate their games.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hey as a Flames fan what would it take to get TyJ (So we can have two TJs)? With how much Monahan has struggled, and how much Backlund has excelled. Would you be up for a Backlund and some other piece(s) for TyJ, especially with how much he'll command soon?

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Hey as a Flames fan what would it take to get TyJ (So we can have two TJs)? With how much Monahan has struggled, and how much Backlund has excelled. Would you be up for a Backlund and some other piece(s) for TyJ, especially with how much he'll command soon?

When Backlund gets anywhere near PPG in the playoffs we can talk about it.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Is it time to worry about TJ?

His breakout season with the Triplets in 2013-14 and his heroic performances in his most dominant career regular season and playoffs in 2014-15 are way a thing of the past. He went a point per game in our 2015-16 playoff run but has been struggling with injuries ever since.

He's tied for a team-worst -5 (together with Sustr) while all other players (except Killer at -1) are even ore way +. He's currently 10th in team scoring (7 P in 15 GP) but to me he still looks far from what he used to be.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hated the term on the contract, made no sense with Point coming up. That being said, Johnson is a luxury we can afford at the moment and it's best to keep him for a cup run like we're poised to do in the coming years, especially with his playoff resume.

Reactions: Stammertime91

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think it was time to worry about him a year ago. But the good news is that Johnson has upgraded to a C+ on a nightly basis and is sometimes getting on the scoresheet. Last year I give him a D- from start to finish

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is it time to worry about TJ?

His breakout season with the Triplets in 2013-14 and his heroic performances in his most dominant career regular season and playoffs in 2014-15 are way a thing of the past. He went a point per game in our 2015-16 playoff run but has been struggling with injuries ever since.

He's tied for a team-worst -5 (together with Sustr) while all other players (except Killer at -1) are even ore way +. He's currently 10th in team scoring (7 P in 15 GP) but to me he still looks far from what he used to be.
Bad contract - bad start of the season - playing better recently.

TheNorth86

Nov 15, 2016
Not worried about him. He's usually a slow starter and his speed is still there. He'll never be 2014 Johnson now that Point is the 2C but a 40-45 point third line center is not a bad problem to have.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Johnson brings scoring depth and it's what cup pretenders need. But the term was long and we'll have to trade him before it's too late. Once TJ's legs are gone, this contract will likely be a big trouble.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Interesting note from the trade board: Johnson's completely unprotected in his first year. Could we be just making sure Point's a legit 2C?

I don't want to move anyone right now (excluding Sustr), but there'll be a small window in the off-season where it wouldn't surprise me to see us try to unload Johnson.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
In a heartbeat I would trade TJ to a team with a #3C who is 6'3" or bigger and plays a strong physical game. I would assume the other team would need TJ for increased scoring. This would give Tampa a hulking center to matchup against the bigger teams that we have no answer for when our speed game is not hitting on all cylinders!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In a heartbeat I would trade TJ to a team with a #3C who is 6'3" or bigger and plays a strong physical game. I would assume the other team would need TJ for increased scoring. This would give Tampa a hulking center to matchup against the bigger teams that we have no answer for when our speed game is not hitting on all cylinders!

I wouldn't trade him for another center. If he's our 3C, we're really, really strong at C. So we either trade him for a middle-six winger who can produce, or for the eventual replacement of one of our older Dmen.

I don't want to see Johnson moved. But, with the way Point looks right now, it's kind of unavoidable. Otherwise we're gonna be in lots of trouble when Point comes up for a contract, and most of our cleared money is earmarked for Kuch.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Heh, Tyler 'better than Stamkos' Johnson... How the mighty have fallen.

I hope some of you enjoy the crow from back in 2015 :naughty:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Interesting note from the trade board: Johnson's completely unprotected in his first year. Could we be just making sure Point's a legit 2C?

I don't want to move anyone right now (excluding Sustr), but there'll be a small window in the off-season where it wouldn't surprise me to see us try to unload Johnson.
that's because its an rfa year

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Heh, Tyler 'better than Stamkos' Johnson... How the mighty have fallen.

I hope some of you enjoy the crow from back in 2015 :naughty:

Huh he was better than him that year. Did you wait 2 years for this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad