Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The troubling thing is the deterioration of his two-way game.

At the same time, as great as it would be for him to put it all together again, if he doesn't, then our cap issues become a little easier.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm of the opinion that he's gone next season, regardless of how he performs from here on out. Point will take his spot next season.

I mean - I haven't seen nearly enough from Point to put him in the 2C role.

But he is a possible casualty. So far Yzerman has been amazing at keeping the group together, with very little roster turnover the past couple of seasons. (I think from the end of our Cup run to now there are two different players? That's insane when you realize that from the end of the Boucher era to the end of the next we turned over probably half of the roster if not more.

Johnson has been a monster in the playoffs for us, and is good in the regular season. I have to think he's in a funk that he'll get out of. But when we get to the decision of who to keep next offseason, the one thing I know for sure is Palat better not go anywhere.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
What do you think yzerman will offer Johnson on his next contract?

Tyler Bozak seems like a good basis point to work from.

Bozak got $4.2 million/year for 5 years
- 27 years old
- He was a UFA with options, but his loyalty to the Leafs may have impacted the amount of leverage he had in that regard.
- Above-average faceoff man, valuable penalty killer.
- Career 0.5 PPG with Leafs (at the time)
- Same CBA, but salary cap is 13.5% higher than it was back in 2013/2014

Tyler Johnson:
- will be 27 next season
- Currently an RFA, but UFA years will be bought out
- I still think he's decent defensively, but not to the extent that Bozak was
- Career 0.68 PPG in his career. but only .55 last season and a concerning downward trend
- Key playoff contributor
- Tax benefits to be taken into consideration

I'm gonna retract what I posted yesterday, I think Johnson is worth $5.25-5.75 million/year as it stands now, with that range possibly slipping based on his play this year.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I still have faith he'll rebound. If he doesn't look up to speed (literally) by December, I'll be more worried. In the meantime, we have plenty of guys picking up the slack.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
hey guys.. whats up with Johnson.. 2 playoffs ago this guy looked like the MVP of your club and now he seems to be strugling big time? Is it less Ice time? injuries? his lack of size finally catching up to him?

Good Luck tonight! It's funny how we beat you guys 4 straight times last year without Price and the previous years you guys always had our number... Should be a fun fast pace game tonight!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean - I haven't seen nearly enough from Point to put him in the 2C role.

But he is a possible casualty. So far Yzerman has been amazing at keeping the group together, with very little roster turnover the past couple of seasons. (I think from the end of our Cup run to now there are two different players? That's insane when you realize that from the end of the Boucher era to the end of the next we turned over probably half of the roster if not more.

Johnson has been a monster in the playoffs for us, and is good in the regular season. I have to think he's in a funk that he'll get out of. But when we get to the decision of who to keep next offseason, the one thing I know for sure is Palat better not go anywhere.

Boucher mentioned it in his comments before the Ottawa game, there's only 2 players left from when he coached, Hedman and Stamkos. Everyone else is new.

As for Point, he's extremely young but from what I'm seeing he's weak (this is easy to fix) but for a small player, he's not fast and doesn't have the acceleration to blow by defenders like a Drouin, Johnson or MSL, that's key when you're that small. Right now, he reminds me of an Ennis, small guy who has the skill and smarts but not great footspeed, his upside is probably somewhere near Zuccarello if he gets tenacious enough.

Johnson hasn't been playing well, but he's been playing better than Point still, who's benefitting from skating around hard, having a "fresh blood" factor and pretty much no expectation put on him. Lots of time for Johnson to turn it around, ideally I'd only want him signed to a 5 year deal, hoping Yzerman can keep the caphit to 5m or under.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Boucher mentioned it in his comments before the Ottawa game, there's only 2 players left from when he coached, Hedman and Stamkos. Everyone else is new.

As for Point, he's extremely young but from what I'm seeing he's weak (this is easy to fix) but for a small player, he's not fast and doesn't have the acceleration to blow by defenders like a Drouin, Johnson or MSL, that's key when you're that small. Right now, he reminds me of an Ennis, small guy who has the skill and smarts but not great footspeed, his upside is probably somewhere near Zuccarello if he gets tenacious enough.

Johnson hasn't been playing well, but he's been playing better than Point still, who's benefitting from skating around hard, having a "fresh blood" factor and pretty much no expectation put on him. Lots of time for Johnson to turn it around, ideally I'd only want him signed to a 5 year deal, hoping Yzerman can keep the caphit to 5m or under.

He coached Killorn for half the shortened season and a bit of Johnson and Palat as well in their short call ups (or that may have been after Cooper took over, actually), but I just wasn't clear about what I meant. I meant two years after Boucher left the roster was turned over like crazy.

But yeah - we have probably the most stable roster in the NHL right now. It's pretty much unheard of to return 18-20 of your lineup season over season for one year, and we've done it two years straight.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He coached Killorn for half the shortened season and a bit of Johnson and Palat as well in their short call ups (or that may have been after Cooper took over, actually), but I just wasn't clear about what I meant. I meant two years after Boucher left the roster was turned over like crazy.

But yeah - we have probably the most stable roster in the NHL right now. It's pretty much unheard of to return 18-20 of your lineup season over season for one year, and we've done it two years straight.

Yeah, we have some slightly overpaid contracts but glad we have nothing as bad as the Hawks do in Kane and Toews eating up 21m in caphit. I mean no Chicago fans are complaining because it'd suck to lose either of them but what an inefficient use of capspace. I get that Kane is worth his contract, but in todays game is all about cap efficiency, you want guys who are playing above their caphits in order to maximize value.

Was kind of stung on the Killorn deal, he's worth it but it took away the "steal" we had him on beforehand, but then he just makes it another steal with his current play, awesome value. Kucherov's contract is beyond great for us, I hope he wins a cup here during these 3 years after taking a deal like that.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Are we still thinking Palat and Johnson get the same term and $$$?

Is Drouin making more or less (depending on the season he has this year)..?

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Are we still thinking Palat and Johnson get the same term and $$$?

Is Drouin making more or less (depending on the season he has this year)..?

I think Drouin has a higher ceiling than any forward on the team with the possible exception of a fully rejuvenated Stamkos; whether or not he hits it is another matter. I don't see him getting a bridge deal as low as Kucherov's: I think he'll either be bridged somewhere in the $5-6M range or given a longterm deal at >$6M. So I would say more than Palat or Johnson unless he underachieves this season.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think Drouin has a higher ceiling than any forward on the team with the possible exception of a fully rejuvenated Stamkos; whether or not he hits it is another matter. I don't see him getting a bridge deal as low as Kucherov's: I think he'll either be bridged somewhere in the $5-6M range or given a longterm deal at >$6M. So I would say more than Palat or Johnson unless he underachieves this season.

He has no leverage, I'd say his bridge deal is only between 4-4.5m.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
I still have faith he'll rebound. If he doesn't look up to speed (literally) by December, I'll be more worried. In the meantime, we have plenty of guys picking up the slack.

Me too. Don't get the Johnny hate and why are even talking about next summer (blah blah blah) when we have a cup to win here? Come on guys !

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Me too. Don't get the Johnny hate and why are even talking about next summer (blah blah blah) when we have a cup to win here? Come on guys !

and here we go again with the word "hate"

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
29 team will line up and offer Johnson the moon..., starting with my team (Montreal). I would in a heartbeat trade Pacioretty for Johnson (1 on 1), even if Pacioretty put 60+ points every year, what Johnson bring in the playoff most team don't have a player like that.

I don't care if he's now gonna have 40 points each year, he is a Claude Lemieux type of playoff monster, there absolutely no chance that Johnson finish his career with no stanley cup.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not sure why anything but resigning Johnson isn't the first option, this is unless he wants to leave. Kuch's contract put us in an extremely favorable cap position, Stamkos, Hedman and Kucherov signing at discounts has set the standard for this team as well. All those projected numbers we had in the off-season are going to be lower than we thought. I know tjs and I had done a few and we were right up against the cap with players taking "slight" discounts and losing Killorn.

Filppula still needs to go at the end of this season and with his current play I don't see that being difficult, one of Coburn/Garrison also needs to be moved, with those 2 moves the rest of our roster would be intact minus whoever Vegas takes, unless Vegas takes one of Garrison or Coburn.

Palat(5.7m)-Stamkos(8.5m)-Drouin(4.5m)
Killorn(4.45m)-Johnson(5.5m)-Kucherov(4.77m)
Point(0.68m)-Namestnikov(1.94m)-Callahan(5.8m)
Conacher/Vermin/Erne(0.9m)-Paquette(0.81m)-Brown(1.25m)
Conacher/Vermin/Erne(0.9m)

Forwards total: 45.2M

Hedman(7.88m)-Stralman(4.5m)
Garrison(4.6m)-Sustr(2m)
Koekkoek(1.2m)-UFA/Other(1m)

Defense total: 21.18M

Vasi (3.5m)
Guds (.9m)

Goaltending: 4.4M

Total: 71.58M. Numbers in red are my projected ones, might be missing something but by my count our seven forwards would be Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, Killorn, Drouin, Callahan and Kucherov. Hedman, Stralman, Koekkoek and Vasi gives us our expansion protection. We'd have room to resign Boyle as well.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And when another team gives him an offer sheet at $6M x 6?

Then they'd be doing us a favor? Why would Drouin only take 6m right now? With the cap going up and his later seasons containing much more leverage then his 3 elc ones, he'd be in a much more favorable position after 2 or 3 years to earn big bucks. Your argument is that he's greedy, don't equate that with stupidity. And I know you picked 6x6 as any higher they'd go into the 4 1st round picks category (no team would risk that for a guy like Drouin).

If we moved Fil and one of the defenseman we'd still have enough to afford Drouin at 6m.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Lindholm didn't get an offersheet and he is a bonafide top pair defender. Drouin is not getting an offersheet or 6, stop being ridiculous.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

No one is giving him an offer sheet. He will probably get around 3.5 to 4 million for 3 years. Especially after Kuch signed a bridge deal. What has Drouin done yet on the NHL level to justify giving him a big contract like that? When he starts having 60 plus point seasons, come talk to me. Kuch did that and settled for 4.7 for 3 years. Right now Kuch is a hell of a better all around player than Drouin who still struggles on the defensive end.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
While what you say is true. Druion is a wildcard. We know how far he will go to get what he wants. Of course it is going to be a raise based on performance this year. Johnson on the other hand welllllllll it may be a good idea to sign the guy then trade him IMO. Free up a slot for Point I really like this kids game. This would re-leave a lil cap pressure as well. Theres just no way Yzer can keep all the forward talent cap wise. So trade Johnson and cash in on prospects and picks for him. Create more depth this team is built for a dynasty run and collecting multiple cups. And for goodness sake find someway to keep Bishop. Bad memories of what happened when Khabi left... Yes I love Vasy but im not sure he can be the guy yet.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
While what you say is true. Druion is a wildcard. We know how far he will go to get what he wants. Of course it is going to be a raise based on performance this year. Johnson on the other hand welllllllll it may be a good idea to sign the guy then trade him IMO. Free up a slot for Point I really like this kids game. This would re-leave a lil cap pressure as well. Theres just no way Yzer can keep all the forward talent cap wise. So trade Johnson and cash in on prospects and picks for him. Create more depth this team is built for a dynasty run and collecting multiple cups. And for goodness sake find someway to keep Bishop. Bad memories of what happened when Khabi left... Yes I love Vasy but im not sure he can be the guy yet.

Point is heavily sheltered and would be drastically outclassed if you put him in Johnson's role. He doesn't create anything himself like Johnson does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad