Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Strangely enough, when you take Kucherov and Palat off someone's line their stats go down.

That said, I think he's a rock solid 2/3C.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Huh he was better than him that year. Did you wait 2 years for this?

Huh?
Or like I said he was a product of always having better linemates, Stamkos rocking with Killorn and Filppula vs Kuch and Palat of Johnson.

But it's good to see that the certain someone's I mentioned do feel the crow they so well deserve.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Huh?
Or like I said he was a product of always having better linemates, Stamkos rocking with Killorn and Filppula vs Kuch and Palat of Johnson.

But it's good to see that the certain someone's I mentioned do feel the crow they so well deserve.
Johnson hasn't looked the same since 2015 even with Palat and Kucherov. He had an amazing year that year, he wasn't a product of the 2.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Huh?

Are you saying Johnson was just a product of Palat and Kucherov? That's silly. The Triplets were successful because all three of them complemented each other that well. At the time Johnson was arguably the most important piece on that line, especially in the playoffs.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Are you saying Johnson was just a product of Palat and Kucherov? That's silly. The Triplets were successful because all three of them complemented each other that well. At the time Johnson was arguably the most important piece on that line, especially in the playoffs.

Not JUST a product of linemates, but he was given best possible situation and he did well in it. Before Triplets he played with Marty and Palat when Stamkos went down.

But my gripe came from the fantastic fanboyism of certain inviduals who were riding the wagon with Johnson and claiming that he was a.better.player than Stamkos. Which I and some others refuted, only to be named as 'Stamkos white knights'

Hence the admittedly good feeling of having Johnson do not so great when paired with less optimal linemates, and Stamkos crushing it with some optimality of his own.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
And Johnson has been absolutely crucial for us in many occasions and I love him for that, but he has somewhat soured on me with this incident.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Not JUST a product of linemates, but he was given best possible situation and he did well in it. Before Triplets he played with Marty and Palat when Stamkos went down.

But my gripe came from the fantastic fanboyism of certain inviduals who were riding the wagon with Johnson and claiming that he was a.better.player than Stamkos. Which I and some others refuted, only to be named as 'Stamkos white knights'

Hence the admittedly good feeling of having Johnson do not so great when paired with less optimal linemates, and Stamkos crushing it with some optimality of his own.
Meh, at the time Johnson actually was better than Stamkos. Coop was smart enough to go with it and made the Triplets our (un)official 1st line. It's not so much about fanboyism, people just acknowledged how good Johnson and his line was at the time.

Just like people recognize Point as the better 2C option right now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Huh?

Johnson was better than Stamkos at the time, anyone with a brain saw it. Nobodies eating crow for being right.

Linemates weren't Stamkos's problem, your rose colored glasses probably prevented you from seeing that.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Johnson was better than Stamkos at the time, anyone with a brain saw it. Nobodies eating crow for being right.

Linemates weren't Stamkos's problem, your rose colored glasses probably prevented you from seeing that.

Triplets sure were better than Stamkos&stooges, but my gripe came from the absolute trashing of Stamkos after 1 outlier year, which happened to be after he came from that particular knee injury...

And the resulting fanboyism of Johnson when he had one fantastic year with one of the best lines at the hockey, and managed to what, tie Stamkos in points?

Truth is, you and some others had rose colored glasses on with your fandom of Johnson and believing he would be better player than Stamkos in the long run.

Reactions: Flat Ronnie

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Triplets sure were better than Stamkos&stooges, but my gripe came from the absolute trashing of Stamkos after 1 outlier year, which happened to be after he came from that particular knee injury...

And the resulting fanboyism of Johnson when he had one fantastic year with one of the best lines at the hockey, and managed to what, tie Stamkos in points?

Truth is, you and some others had rose colored glasses on with your fandom of Johnson and believing he would be better player than Stamkos in the long run.

Johnson had two pretty sensational playoffs as well though. And that's really where you fall in love with a player. I think he earned more fanboyism than you're giving him credit for, and he's an easy target now that he's got a new contract and has been surpassed by Point.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Logicize

Sep 9, 2017
What's up with TJ? I've been watching Tampa games this year and he seems to skate well, give 100% effort, and get chances, but it just doesn't equate to points. I thought he'd have a rebound season now that he proclaimed he was healthy to start the season.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
What's up with TJ? I've been watching Tampa games this year and he seems to skate well, give 100% effort, and get chances, but it just doesn't equate to points. I thought he'd have a rebound season now that he proclaimed he was healthy to start the season.

Personally speaking. He got beat out by point, Meaning he is not going to have the quality of line mates that a Point or Stamkos would have. I still love Johnson, just yeah.....I would love to find him a winger he can mesh with.

Reactions: berlin

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
His moving to the wing was long overdue. His speed and shot are elite/world class and as soon as they unsaddled him from the responsibilities a center has he was free to **** **** up.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Montreal coaches could learn a thing or two about how a change from C to wing can produce beneficial results for a certain struggling Center!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His moving to the wing was long overdue. His speed and shot are elite/world class and as soon as they unsaddled him from the responsibilities a center has he was free to **** **** up.

No, he sucked on the wing when we tried him there before, this isn't the 1st him Cooper has tried him on wing, it's maybe the 3rd or 4th look over the last couple years. He's not a winger he just needs a player like Point or Kucherov on his line to open up space, he'd be fine at C if Kuch was on his line again. Point is just a better C than him so he has to play wing.

He has a deadly shot and those guys are able to find him.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Montreal coaches could learn a thing or two about how a change from C to wing can produce beneficial results for a certain struggling Center!
Except Cooper decided to put Johnson, who has been playing center for 99% of his time in the NHL, to the wing while Drouin is a pure winger playing center because....?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
No, he sucked on the wing when we tried him there before, this isn't the 1st him Cooper has tried him on wing, it's maybe the 3rd or 4th look over the last couple years. He's not a winger he just needs a player like Point or Kucherov on his line to open up space, he'd be fine at C if Kuch was on his line again. Point is just a better C than him so he has to play wing.

He has a deadly shot and those guys are able to find him.

Except he sucked last year playing center even with Kucherov or when he played with Point. No, he never sucked any more on the wing than he did as a center, he just prefers center. Now that he can focus on shooting the puck and getting behind the defense, he's been on fire.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017

Hmm, I kinda like the way Montreal is coaching their players. I hope they keep it up.
JoDru is prolly still more happy there anyway, even if they were in last place; lots of Lil french puck bunnies for him to chase around (if mommy lets him out of the house that is).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad