Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
It helps he's both motivated and is up against other teams 4th lines or 3rd d lines. He'll easily be able to out skate most of those guys and is favored in some of the matchups.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
None of those are gonna be an outcome for TJ. He's a better hockey player than an AHLer would be, so he'll be in the NHL. The contract (or at at best, the buyout) is a sunk cost. He only got sent down in hopes that someone else wanted his contract (and later, for one game, for technical LTIR reasons).

There are three possibilities: 1) Tampa trades him to someone else who will pay him to play, 2) Tampa can't trade him and continues to pay him and play him, or 3) Tampa can't move him, buys him out, and some other NHL team signs him for much less than $4.5m to play for them.

(I suppose there's a 1a) where we trade him with retention but that feels really unlikely.)

In any case, Europe is definitely off the table, and the A just isn't worth it because all we'd do is save $1m of his cap hit while needing to replace him with a guy on a minimum contract (in other words, we'd be swapping TJ for some guy who would otherwise be in the AHL, all just to save $300k in cap space).
TJ's contract is in no way a sunk cost. Not in cap terms and not in real dollar terms. If it was a sunk cost it wouldn't matter if he stays because by definition a sunk cost represents dollars already spent that cannot be recovered. But those dollars haven't been spent yet and that is the entire reason they need to get rid of him, so as to not spend dollars. That is, to recover future obligated dollars and then not spend them. The opposite of a sunk cost.

Last edited:

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Thanks Tyler for your contributions over the years. The teams best forward during the 2015 finals run. A 4th line killer in the playoffs last year who was forced to play out of position at wing much of the last couple years.

I wish him well in Chicago and believe he will produce well for the Blackhawks in a top 9 C role.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Johnson was a huge part in turning around this franchise. Good luck in Chicago to one of my favourite players of all time
I still remember that almost 3 on 5 short handed goal against the Rangers in 2015. First penalty expired just as the puck left his stick so it technically wasn't, but it was always a 3 on 5 in my heart.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
That^ was a good one but my favorite memory of him will always be that game against Detroit in the playoffs we were losing 2-0 with like 5 minutes left, only for Johnson to put the team on his back with two goals and an assist to win in OT.

If that doesn't happen we go down 3-1 and very possibly go out in round 1.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
johnson-palat-and-kucherov-together-again-as-tampas-triplets-look-to-take-nhl-by-storm.jpg

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It was a lot of fun to see Tyler and the Cup. I got a picture with the Cup but they won't send it out for a few days. I did get to touch it and see the Lightning names engraved on it though which was awesome. A shame it won't be coming back here next year when the Bolts threepeat. I was near the front of the line so I'm in some of the official pics/videos but it was hot as f*** and I look like a mess so I won't post those :laugh: Not sure if my photo attachments will work but I got some good shots.

Up until now this region hasn't had an NHL team so it's been like 50-75% Bolts fans. It'll be interesting to see how that shifts now with the Kraken joining the league and Tyler being traded to Chicago.

Attachments

• 20210729_152740.jpg
    20210729_152740.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Resized_20210729_150751.jpeg
    Resized_20210729_150751.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210729_151025.jpg
    20210729_151025.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 11

Ad

Upcoming events