Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wonder if there might have been some serious domestic fallout from the Jimmy Kimmel incident. Hard to imagine any fiance shrugging that off.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We need him back if we are going to go for the cup again. He did look good last night.

IMO, he's looked good in spurts all year, but injuries have kept him from getting into any sort of rhythm. We haven't seen him take over a game the way he did a handful of times last year. His line seems to be clicking. It'll never be TKO with Killer in Palat's place, but if we can have two legit scoring lines, I think we're a stronger team.

And I really do wonder if there aren't some serious personal issues going on. I mean, we'll never know for sure, obviously, so I'm just making stuff up in my head. I just can't imagine any woman I've ever known seeing that thing on Kimmel and then have their home life be business as usual.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
IMO, he's looked good in spurts all year, but injuries have kept him from getting into any sort of rhythm. We haven't seen him take over a game the way he did a handful of times last year. His line seems to be clicking. It'll never be TKO with Killer in Palat's place, but if we can have two legit scoring lines, I think we're a stronger team.

And I really do wonder if there aren't some serious personal issues going on. I mean, we'll never know for sure, obviously, so I'm just making stuff up in my head. I just can't imagine any woman I've ever known seeing that thing on Kimmel and then have their home life be business as usual.

I think you're right on the first thing I've been wondering about the second thing myself, now there are pictures of his girlfriend hanging out withboth him and the other players significant others so we know that they are still together but it doesn't say much, hopefully they figure out a way to make things ok if it's still something that's hanging over their heads.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Why don't they re-unite TJ Kuch & Pallat? And give it time?

I've never seen a team juggle lines as much as TB this year

Because Johnson has chemistry with Kucherov and is developing some with Killorn. Palat is finally getting Stamkos to play like an NHLer so he needs to stay with him for a little while.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Because Johnson has chemistry with Kucherov and is developing some with Killorn. Palat is finally getting Stamkos to play like an NHLer so he needs to stay with him for a little while.

For all that juggling, this might be the first time we've had four semi-consistent lines that all make sense. Logically.

Nothing can be moved.

!

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Why don't they re-unite TJ Kuch & Pallat? And give it time?

I've never seen a team juggle lines as much as TB this year

If that happens, we go back to Cooper's beloved Killorn-Stammer-Filppula 2nd line and we don't want to go back to those dark days.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If that happens, we go back to Cooper's beloved Killorn-Stammer-Filppula 2nd line and we don't want to go back to those dark days.

Johnson is likely the last forward still trying to find his game, he still is struggling, but we cannot change lines now when we are on this winning streak, but I cringe the thought of that Stamkos line. :help:

Right now things are good, the Top 9 looks great right now. Paquette is on the 4th where he belongs, and we have 3 scoring lines, including one ultimate shutdown line in those 3 lines.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
24 points in his last 33 games. Getting better, so does Palat who's on 1 point per game pace over the past 10 games.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
So what's up with TyJo? During the off-season I posted that I thought he might be the odd man out between all the re-signings and upcoming FA at the time (Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Killorn but also the next wave of Palat, Drouin and him). Most around here said "nah" and that guys like Cally or Fil are long gone before him.

During camp I think Tyler said he's finally back at 100% with his wrist and in general. TBH I don't see it. While Stammer, Killer and even last season's scapegoats Fil and Vlad have been killing it, Tyler is only noticable when he messes up.

Thoughts?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So what's up with TyJo? During the off-season I posted that I thought he might be the odd man out between all the re-signings and upcoming FA at the time (Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Killorn but also the next wave of Palat, Drouin and him). Most around here said "nah" and that guys like Cally or Fil are long gone before him.

During camp I think Tyler said he's finally back at 100% with his wrist and in general. TBH I don't see it. While Stammer, Killer and even last season's scapegoats Fil and Vlad have been killing it, Tyler is only noticable when he messes up.

Thoughts?

Could be that guys like Flip and Vlad are in mid-season shape, having played in the WC. It'd be interesting to see if WC players have started hotter than other players. (Likely, but it could also be because WC players are generally better anyway.)

One theory anyway. Or, I guess I should say, one "optimistic" theory.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Thoughts?

Uhh yeah... is what world would you want 31 year old Callahan and 32 year old Filppula here longer than 25 year old Johnson.

All he did/is doing is driving his price down, he'll still be resigned.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Johnson has been invisible so far, but its only 6 games in. Hoping he takes off soon. He's still a great playoff performer, but it would be nice if he started to wrack up the points. The Stammer line and Flip line have looked the best while our TKO or modified TKO lines have been the least noticeable and deadly/productive

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
He has been playing well, just not clicking and scoring. At least the team as a whole is off to a really great start as compared to last year.
Not worried about Johnny at all.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Uhh yeah... is what world would you want 31 year old Callahan and 32 year old Filppula here longer than 25 year old Johnson.

All he did/is doing is driving his price down, he'll still be resigned.

I think it was more of a "we'll actually get value for him" kind of thing.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He has been playing well, just not clicking and scoring. At least the team as a whole is off to a really great start as compared to last year.
Not worried about Johnny at all.

He has not been playing well so far. Actually I think his point production has been fine, hasn't it? Like 4 or 5 points?

It's the fact that he's been abysmal with his decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad