Player Discussion: Tyler Johnson

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Johnson is a winger.

Which is why he posted his career high at center?

Not convinced he's a winger as opposed to him needing a strong puck distributor on his line. The fact that Point is a better center is why he's shafted to wing not because he's incapable.

If he's a winger why didn't he look this good any other time we moved him to wing?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Not convinced he's a winger as opposed to him needing a strong puck distributor on his line. The fact that Point is a better center is why he's shafted to wing not because he's incapable.

If he's a winger why didn't he look this good any other time we moved him to wing?

I think most of his tries at wing were on Stamkos's wing though, so I do think it's more the "needs a creative distributor" thing than him not being good on the wing. Johnson just doesn't work well with fellow north-south shooters, I think.

Whatever the case, when he's using his speed, he's still among our most effective players. He's been pretty lights out since moving to Point's line, and this time we can actually say it's in large part because teams are focused on the top line so much. But that's a good thing. We're finally taking advantage of our offensive talent.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Hes been one of the statistical best players in the nhl since we moved him to wing

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

Has Johnson not been in decline the last two seasons? Is Kucherov not a strong puck distributor? A very questionable sample size of games on the wing prior to this year too. I think you are on the wrong side of a losing argument.

Oh, and nobody is saying Johnson is incapable of being a center, but he is definitely making a case that he is a better winger.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Has Johnson not been in decline the last two seasons? Is Kucherov not a strong puck distributor? A very questionable sample size of games on the wing prior to this year too. I think you are on the wrong side of a losing argument.

Oh, and nobody is saying Johnson is incapable of being a center, but he is definitely making a case that he is a better winger.

And what do you think the 1st post on this page means? And a bunch of others that's alluded to saying he should've been switched to wing before. Which doesn't make sense because he wasn't great when we tried him there and Kucherov the other strong puck distributor is also a winger.

Decline? his numbers have dropped from the 70 point season, are you saying his production would've increased if he was playing wing the last 2 years? Otherwise I'm not sure what point you're making by bringing up his "decline", considering one season was removed from a broken wrist and last year was his 2nd best season in terms of PPG.

My argument is fine, if you understand it. All else being equal he's a better center than he is a winger because he has better center traits and has been playing center his entire career, would you get more out of Johnson as a winger or a center if he played with Namestnikov and Killorn? Heck Johnson makes more sense centering Stamkos on wing if his pride allowed it. He's a better fit on wing if his center is a better puck distributor like Point, or do you not notice the difference when he plays wing with Point than he does with Stamkos? Out of all the centers on the team the only one that should shaft Johnson to wing is Point otherwise you'd get more from Johnson as the C.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
And what do you think the 1st post on this page means? And a bunch of others that's alluded to saying he should've been switched to wing before. Which doesn't make sense because he wasn't great when we tried him there and Kucherov the other strong puck distributor is also a winger.

The first post says he is incapable of being a center? No, it doesn't. The point that others are trying to make is that when unsaddled with the center responsibilities he's improved his game tremendously, I don't think you can argue with that based on recent performance. You need to be more clear on what you mean when you say he needs a strong puck distributor on his line because he had Kucherov and like stated previously his numbers have been in decline. Hopefully you mean that as a winger he needs a strong puck distributor, which nobody has really argued with except that it supports the argument that he makes a good winger.

Decline? his numbers have dropped from the 70 point season, are you saying his production would've increased if he was playing wing the last 2 years? Otherwise I'm not sure what point you're making by bringing up his "decline", considering one season was removed from a broken wrist and last year was his 2nd best season in terms of PPG.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. He hasn't looked like himself since his broken wrist two years ago, he looked exactly the same last year except he had a bit more ice time so the points went up.

My argument is fine, if you understand it. All else being equal he's a better center than he is a winger because he has better center traits and has been playing center his entire career, would you get more out of Johnson as a winger or a center if he played with Namestnikov and Killorn? Heck Johnson makes more sense centering Stamkos on wing if his pride allowed it. He's a better fit on wing if his center is a better puck distributor like Point, or do you not notice the difference when he plays wing with Point than he does with Stamkos? Out of all the centers on the team the only one that should shaft Johnson to wing is Point otherwise you'd get more from Johnson as the C.

A lot of what you are saying is conjecture. I know you aren't trying to argue that Johnson is a better center than Point, but let's look at what makes Point the better center. Same size, Johnson probably has an edge with speed and faceoff ability, and Johnson has the better shot. So what gives? Johnson lacks what every top center in this league needs, which is creativity with the puck and hockey sense. He was a turnover machine because despite how good he was in juniors based on his latent talent, and how good he was his sophomore season, the league adjusted and he didn't have an answer. Good enough, sure? But why not move him to wing where his speed and shot are highlighted and his average creativity is minimized, there is certainly enough proof over the last 20 games or so to show that something clicked.

The Namesnikov, Killorn, Johnson point is kind of silly because Johnson is the better of the three at center.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
zGHQb4O.gif

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
The first post says he is incapable of being a center? No, it doesn't. The point that others are trying to make is that when unsaddled with the center responsibilities he's improved his game tremendously, I don't think you can argue with that based on recent performance. You need to be more clear on what you mean when you say he needs a strong puck distributor on his line because he had Kucherov and like stated previously his numbers have been in decline. Hopefully you mean that as a winger he needs a strong puck distributor, which nobody has really argued with except that it supports the argument that he makes a good winger.

A lot of what you are saying is conjecture. I know you aren't trying to argue that Johnson is a better center than Point, but let's look at what makes Point the better center. Same size, Johnson probably has an edge with speed and faceoff ability, and Johnson has the better shot. So what gives? Johnson lacks what every top center in this league needs, which is creativity with the puck and hockey sense. He was a turnover machine because despite how good he was in juniors based on his latent talent, and how good he was his sophomore season, the league adjusted and he didn't have an answer. Good enough, sure? But why not move him to wing where his speed and shot are highlighted and his average creativity is minimized, there is certainly enough proof over the last 20 games or so to show that something clicked.

The Namesnikov, Killorn, Johnson point is kind of silly because Johnson is the better of the three at center.

Except the fact that he's produced just as well at center with a strong puck distributing winger..... which again is my point. He isn't anymore a winger than he is a center he excels at both positions given the proper supporting player. He he's produced at this level on multiple occasions when he had Kucherov on his line. The fact that Point is a better center is the reason he's moved to wing.

I see the validity in your last sentence but the sample size is way too small to say moving to wing has fixed his game, he had 21 points in the final 24 games (as a center..) last year most of that away from Kucherov/Palat once they moved to Points line, he had Drouin though I guess... At this point it doesn't look like there's any reason to move him off the wing, if he finishes the season with the consistent level of play he's been showing as opposed to his usual cold-hot-cold then sure.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'm to exactly sure where to ask this but, what's the deal with Tyler Johnson? With the emergence of Point, could he be had?

I know the Lightning are in a cap crunch and could use some help with that.

twenty5psi

Feb 27, 2018
The Lightning really aren't in a cap crunch. Especially if the cap goes to 80M+ next year. If Yzerman were to trade a Johnson or Killorn in the offseason we'd have 10M+ in cap space(assuming the bump).

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm to exactly sure where to ask this but, what's the deal with Tyler Johnson? With the emergence of Point, could he be had?

I know the Lightning are in a cap crunch and could use some help with that.
Probably after next season I’d see yzerman moving at least one of killorn or Johnson

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
What would the price be for Johnson if he were moved?
Depends on which offseason he moves in, what he does between now and then, and probably on who is asking.

I can't guarantee I'm speaking for everyone here, but as I see it he is on a great contract considering that a lot of similar complimentary players sign for much higher cap hits towards the end of their careers, he has a great playoff record, and he's quite versatile being able to center just about any line in a pinch as well as having some good looks on the RW.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I really hope he goes beast mode in the playoffs again and puts to rest any notion of trading him. He belongs on the Lightning.
Yep. The guys we should be moving on from this summer are Killorn and Coburn. If possible Callahan. If they choose to walk Kunitz and Domingue. Keep everyone else, acquire a backup goalie if Dom goes, and go from there. TJ is a Bolt and should remain one.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
One of my best friends growing up, and still a close friend, is the Editor in Chief of The Player's Tribune. Been busting his balls for a long time to get a Bolts story published. He always said he needs a good story to do it though.

He was born and raised in Clearwater and still lives in the area. Hopefully gonna hit some playoff games with him if he's in town at the right time. He's a huge Lightning fan. Used to take him to games with my family's season tix when we were kids haha.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
One of my best friends growing up, and still a close friend, is the Editor in Chief of The Player's Tribune. Been busting his balls for a long time to get a Bolts story published. He always said he needs a good story to do it though.

He was born and raised in Clearwater and still lives in the area. Hopefully gonna hit some playoff games with him if he's in town at the right time. He's a huge Lightning fan. Used to take him to games with my family's season tix when we were kids haha.

Ask him if he hires people with no experience and no training. And pretty cool having a successful best friend, all my friends are deadbeats.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Love the Johnson article. Shows a little of why the team seems to think highly of him even when his play dips.

Hope to see Playoff Johnson return tonight.

Reactions: Bolt 45

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I want to keep Johnny but he's gotta do more in the regular season, as well as keep up his playoff performances, lets see how he does this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->