Player Discussion Tyler Benson

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Probably because development has nothing to do with age?

Benson has shown huge improvements over the last three years.

Pulju arguably got worse.

You mean injured.

I remember so many people playing the injury card in defense of Klefbom for bad play.

JP didn't look good as the year went on but he was also injured.

Even if he wasn't injured, which he was, at 20 people are being ridiculous with exaggerating how bad he was. For his very limited role and ice time JP'S numbers and play so far are decent at least.

Reactions: CanmoreMike

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
This. I only watch highlights, so I don't know as much as some others, but I see a lot of plays where Benson caused the goal.

@replacement, how exactly do you think Marody carries Benson?

It really has nothing to do with Benson. Marody is the guy who's worth the price of admission on Bakersfield. Anybody who's watched this season would agree, it would be unanimous. He makes things happen all the time. It's not a once in a while thing. It's a "let's see what he does this shift" kind of thing. That's how good he's been offensively (maybe not as much in the last 10 games or so, but still very good). I have zero doubt in my mind that Marody would be a point per game player playing with anybody on the Condors. Benson without Marody is probably not the top scoring rookie in the league.

Having said that, I believe Benson has a better chance of making the NHL, because his game is more translatable to a 2-way NHL game. Not many people can play like Cooper Marody and succeed in the NHL. Heck, I'm not sure it can translate to AHL playoff hockey. We're about to find out!

I'll put it this way: There are a bunch of young rookies up near the top in scoring, and Benson is number one. But - even though I am a long time Benson fan - I think Necas and Batherson are guys who make more of an impact on the ice at the AHL level, and are surefire contributors in the NHL very soon. Benson, I think he has more to show before we put him in with that level of prospect.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Leading the league in rookie points and 8th in overall. Seems to be getting better too.

Dang, even more impressive that he's #1 since he's simply not able to play as many games as the guys behind him because of his division. Marody right near him, although a year and a half older. Heck of a year for Benson. Hope he can translate some of that to the NHL.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Dang, even more impressive that he's #1 since he's simply not able to play as many games as the guys behind him because of his division. Marody right near him, although a year and a half older. Heck of a year for Benson. Hope he can translate some of that to the NHL.

He has to contribute next year as does JP and hopefully someone else. Not much other help is coming.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Looking at the 2017-18 Vancouver Giants roster, only 3 players had more than 40 points. Ty Ronning (84), Benson (69) and James Malm (66). Malm is still with the Giants and Ronning was having a tough time in the AHL. So we can't say that Benson's stats are a result of being fed by a linemate. Rather, Benson and Marody compliment each other.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Looking at the 2017-18 Vancouver Giants roster, only 3 players had more than 40 points. Ty Ronning (84), Benson (69) and James Malm (66). Malm is still with the Giants and Ronning was having a tough time in the AHL. So we can't say that Benson's stats are a result of being fed by a linemate. Rather, Benson and Marody compliment each other.

I watched a lot of Benson on the Giants too. I watched all those guys. Ronning was a great player in the WHL. Benson was the best player on the team in the WHL (when he was healthy).

This isn't the WHL. Ronning isn't a great AHL player, and Benson - while he's been good - has not been the best player on the team in the AHL. He's not even the third best player on the team.

I'm going to try not to belabour the point, because I can tell it's just something nobody wants to hear. I want to believe Benson is a surefire top 6 guy too. Again... He's the guy I've followed most keenly for many years. But shift after shift, game in and game out, compliment or not, Marody is driving the bus. I'm not going to ignore that reality.

Either way, I hope everybody here watches and cheers on Benson and Bako this playoffs! Let's see what these guys can do!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
I watched a lot of Benson on the Giants too. I watched all those guys. Ronning was a great player in the WHL. Benson was the best player on the team in the WHL (when he was healthy).

This isn't the WHL. Ronning isn't a great AHL player, and Benson - while he's been good - has not been the best player on the team in the AHL. He's not even the third best player on the team.

I'm going to try not to belabour the point, because I can tell it's just something nobody wants to hear. I want to believe Benson is a surefire top 6 guy too. Again... He's the guy I've followed most keenly for many years. But shift after shift, game in and game out, compliment or not, Marody is driving the bus. I'm not going to ignore that reality.

Either way, I hope everybody here watches and cheers on Benson and Bako this playoffs! Let's see what these guys can do!
Appreciate all the updates and info on the prospects, man. Thanks!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Imagine if Pulju played a year or two in Finland and then this season in the AHL. We’d be begging for him to be in the NHL by now.
Yeah, the oilers screwed up his development massively.

And if they did that he wouldn't need to pass through waivers.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

I think you could say that earlier in the season, but in the 2nd half Benson has definitely elevated his game. He's like 1 point shy of a ppg over a 60+ game stretch as a rookie, idk what more you want.

Reactions: oilers'72

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Who is your top 3? Bottom line is that he is younger than Marody and that Marody has been playing against men for 3 seasons while I assume being healthy enough to train during the week of games and in the offseason. Benson has missed a lot of on and off ice time these last number of years and he is still killing it this season. If he is Bako's Drai to Marody's McDavid that is perfectly fine because the bottom line is that he can play with and thrive with skill. AHL production >>> CHL and NCAA production, when a guy produces the way that Benson does in his first season that he can play in the pro's it is going to open eyes and raise expectations no matter how cautious people tell us to be.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Ronning and Malm are AHLers FYI

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
Who is your top 3? Bottom line is that he is younger than Marody and that Marody has been playing against men for 3 seasons while I assume being healthy enough to train during the week of games and in the offseason. Benson has missed a lot of on and off ice time these last number of years and he is still killing it this season. If he is Bako's Drai to Marody's McDavid that is perfectly fine because the bottom line is that he can play with and thrive with skill. AHL production >>> CHL and NCAA production, when a guy produces the way that Benson does in his first season that he can play in the pro's it is going to open eyes and raise expectations no matter how cautious people tell us to be.

For forwards there's no doubt it's Marody and Gambardella, well ahead of the pack. Then Currie, then Benson.

I 100% agree with you, Marody is older, he's got lots more experience. And it is showing. It's abundantly clear every single shift that Marody is the more developed, more confident, more impactful player. All the ways Marody impacts the game, Benson has a fraction of that in his game. What I'm saying is that Benson should be able to create that level of impact on a more consistent basis before we start pencilling him in to an NHL top six. I believe he can mature, and develop his game, and he might get there. He'll never be as slippery as Marody, but he can be as smart, and create as much space.

Right now it's not a McDavid/Draisaitl thing. It's more like Hemsky/Horcoff.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Great to see Benson with AHL Rookie assist title. If you look back 10 years next closest to his 51 was 45 by Brandon Montour. Excited to see what he can do in the big leagues

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad