Player Discussion Tyler Benson

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He's a very good AHL player.

Passes the eye test, passes the numbers test.

He's been scoring at a good rate for half the season (slow goal scoring at the start in the AHL is common for junior players)

Wasn't a fan, now I am.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Something a lot of casual AHL followers (such as myself) don't often realise, is how much lower scoring is in the AHL.

Last years league leading scorer had 33 Goals, and the highest point totals was 71. Many of the top 10 scorers are not even at a PPG in the AHL.

Benson never had amazing Junior numbers, but there's improvement year in year out, which I think is more important.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
pretty sure 11 goals in the AHL was called PATHETIC, hes trash

No, no, no. It was pathetic goal total written in red bells font in the largest print size available on site. ps I never said trash.

Go big or go home I always say..heh

Anyway, saw the thread and the comments. This is for fans of the player so I won't be in the thread except for the attempted humorous reply.

Unless you guys bait me ceaselessly at which point who knows.

@Senor Catface changed his mind on the player so maybe I will too in time. Maybe he gets more of a handle on putting the puck in.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
He'll never amount to anything unless he scores 50 in the AHL. Woops, looks like I was too late.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
How Benson has grown over the years:

Back when he was 15, Stauffer and Co. said he would be the next Franchise player in the NHL. He was scoring phenomenal numbers in the SSAC (146 points in 33 games) and he was a force to be reckoned with. He would have been the #1 pick in the NHL Entry Draft they all said. As soon as he hit Junior, that's when the freak injuries came in and hit him hard. His development was pushed back and he was at the time labelled as 'injury-prone', but all of his injuries were fluke ones that no one can really repeat those same injuries he had on a consistent level. So fly up to today, I'm not surprised he is doing very well for himself. I said when we picked him in the 2nd round, "If he can get over the injuries and develop still, he will be a steal of a pick". So far, he's shown that. Let's just hope it translate into the NHL next (But no rushing him!)

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Our history is littered with good junior or AHL prospects that fizzle. I'll wait until he shows something in the NHL. He has had a very good year in the minors and just as important has not been injured.

Reactions: Aerrol

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
guys got 11 goals in almost 60 games in the AHL , hes been good setting up plays but lets not get carried away, Its not like hes lighting the AHL on fire. Hes been good, not great. Great is when he comes in next year and rips the AHL apart or plays on our third line and puts up 15 goals and 30 plus points. Keep the expectations at bay.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
guys got 11 goals in almost 60 games in the AHL , hes been good setting up plays but lets not get carried away, Its not like hes lighting the AHL on fire. Hes been good, not great. Great is when he comes in next year and rips the AHL apart or plays on our third line and puts up 15 goals and 30 plus points. Keep the expectations at bay.

Third in rookie scoring and 22nd overall is just "good"?

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Yes but name me an Oilers prospect that has scored immediately in the AHL as a rookie and being relied on as the teams 1st line scorer? Not many, if any at all. Benson has been playing great for his first year in the AHL. You can't expect players to play the way he did and only call him 'good'.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Top 5 talent who fell cause of injuries. He'll definitely get a call-up early next year and if they put him in a position to succeed (top 6) I think they'll find it hard to send him back down.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This. He is getting first line minutes with skilled players so he should have decent numbers.

I have been roasted on here because Iam not a fan boy like others.

I hope he does well and continues to develop and becomes a solid pro.

My beef has always been that we passed on Debrincat for him. That's not on Benson but still.

Reactions: conor underwood

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
This. He is getting first line minutes with skilled players so he should have decent numbers.

I have been roasted on here because Iam not a fan boy like others.

I hope he does well and continues to develop and becomes a solid pro.

My beef has always been that we passed on Debrincat for him. That's not on Benson but still.

That first line is 2/3rd rookies. So he isn't 'tagging along'. He's still producing and being relied on to keep producing.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Our history is littered with good junior or AHL prospects that fizzle. I'll wait until he shows something in the NHL. He has had a very good year in the minors and just as important has not been injured.
I agree with the "wait until he shows something in the NHL" before I get too excited.

But the fact that he's doing well in the AHL is pretty unique amongst the majority of our forward prospects in the past decade drafted outside of the first round. The majority flamed out immediately upon turning pro. At least Benson is showing he can play some pro hockey.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I agree with the "wait until he shows something in the NHL" before I get too excited.

But the fact that he's doing well in the AHL is pretty unique amongst the majority of our forward prospects in the past decade drafted outside of the first round. The majority flamed out immediately upon turning pro. At least Benson is showing he can play some pro hockey.

That's the most encouraging thing.

He isn't a Hamilton, Martindale, Chase, Platzer, etc. who absolutely bombed the second they hit AHL ice.

I'm actually not sure who the last prospect was to excel as an AHL rookie. Might even have to go back to pre-OKC days.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Agreed. Last guy to look decent in the later rounds would have to be Pitlick.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

No it isn't.

It's littered and filled with junior players that don't do shit in the AHL.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad