Player Discussion Tyler Benson

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Can't really say I'm surprised at the season he's had, but he's even exceeded my expectations. I have been a huge fan of his for a while because man can this kid ever read the play and make plays. A lot of people were sleeping on him due to his injuries and the fact that he played on some very bad Giants teams.

This kid is built for pro hockey. He's strong on his feet, he's always in the right spot on the ice, his vision and playmaking are off the charts. He'll never be a speedster, but he's going the be the retrieval guy on a line in your top 6 who is always winning puck battles and who has the smarts and ability to hang with very skilled players.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
2 games left.

Tied for 6th in the league for points.

Turns out this is the most assists a rookie has had in the AHL in 10 years.

Honestly, I really wasn't excited for Benson as a player before this year. What a season.

I remember my friends laughing at who we picked while I tried to defend the pick lmao

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If he stays healthy I can see a situation where his development curve really takes off like a rocket. Think in the next 2 seasons he will establish himself in the NHL as a solid complimentary middle 6 winger.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
...would it be weird to bring up Mark Stone as a stylistic comparable?

Stone plays a much more straight ahead game. He's a better shooter and has better size, plays with more pace, power. The Oilers don't have a Stone in their prospect pool.

I think Benson looks more like Alex Steen. Good in many areas, not fast, not overly big, a good amount of grit, creates space with good passing and communication.

Bensons upside is Steen, his downside is Anton Lander.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
for the first time in exactly forever, the Oilers are developing him properly and he's earned a long look at camp next year
now don't gift him a spot but now he has a resume and has proven something at the professional level

I have a feeling he wins a 3rd line LW position in camp in the fall
Especially with a most likely a new coach coming in, I feel like every roster spot is up for grabs.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I am expecting a major injury next season because thatd b a totally OPilers thing to happen

However, thus far, hes exceeded expectations. Great year in the A

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
for the first time in exactly forever, the Oilers are developing him properly and he's earned a long look at camp next year
now don't gift him a spot but now he has a resume and has proven something at the professional level

His injuries probably forced us to develop him properly.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
His injuries probably forced us to develop him properly.
As did his draft position.
Who knows if hes going to be any good at all, but it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to spend another year down there. It happens all the time.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
As did his draft position.
Who knows if hes going to be any good at all, but it wouldn't be the worst thing for him to spend another year down there. It happens all the time.
If he were able to work on his shot and goal scoring while down there next year, he'd be ready for the jump to the bigs. Hopefully he puts the time in over the summer on his skating too - we knew he was a project. Would be great to let him improve on this year in the AHL.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I am expecting a major injury next season because thatd b a totally OPilers thing to happen
There's a little voice in my head saying exactly the same thing, lol. But for now I'm just happy Benson played a great year in the A and seemed to be healthy all season.

What do folks think will be his role next year? Having a good camp and sticking with the Oil or starting the year in Bakersfield?

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I remember when they were all like 14 it was McDavid, Barzal and Benson getting hyped as the next big names in hockey. Benson and Barzal both lost some stock due to health and Benson certainly suffered more than Barzal. I’ve always held out hope that he’d stay healthy and get back on track.

Definitely worth being excited over this player. He’s going to be a part of the solution.

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Seems like a lot of the issues with him was if he could stay healthy. We might have a great player here. I am excited.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I've mostly commented on Benson in the Bako thread, but I want to re-iterate here, because the hype is real:

I've watched Benson a lot right through juniors, and I've watched almost his entire AHL season.

I'm rooting hard for Benson. But I have no illusions about his game. Cooper Marody is the reason Benson has as many points as he does. Full stop. No question. Marody is the space maker, the driver. Benson is able to do what he does because Marody makes his linemates better.

Now, this has evolved over the course of the season. In the last 15 games, Benson has balanced this out a little, and that's awesome. That's development.

A lot of people are saying, "well that's fine, because Benson will be a complimentary player to McDavid, Drai or Nuge anyways". I disagree. I think if Benson is going to be a useful NHL player on any line, he needs to show he can be the driver in the AHL, away from Marody.

All that to say: Temper your expectations. Benson has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: Daryls Nose

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

He's a very cerebral player. I think he wins that spot as well

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I've mostly commented on Benson in the Bako thread, but I want to re-iterate here, because the hype is real:

I've watched Benson a lot right through juniors, and I've watched almost his entire AHL season.

I'm rooting hard for Benson. But I have no illusions about his game. Cooper Marody is the reason Benson has as many points as he does. Full stop. No question. Marody is the space maker, the driver. Benson is able to do what he does because Marody makes his linemates better.

Now, this has evolved over the course of the season. In the last 15 games, Benson has balanced this out a little, and that's awesome. That's development.

A lot of people are saying, "well that's fine, because Benson will be a complimentary player to McDavid, Drai or Nuge anyways". I disagree. I think if Benson is going to be a useful NHL player on any line, he needs to show he can be the driver in the AHL, away from Marody.

All that to say: Temper your expectations. Benson has a lot of work to do.

Sorry I totally disagree with your assertion Bensons points are largely due to Marody. I see it as a situation where they can excel due to the other.

There’s countless videos available where goals are due to the work and vision of Benson.

Reactions: KYams17

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sorry I totally disagree with your assertion Bensons points are largely due to Marody. I see it as a situation where they can excel due to the other.

There’s countless videos available where goals are due to the work and vision of Benson.
They excel do to eachother. Marody opens the space, Benson brings the skill and vision.

Unless you are an elite player, you need to play off your linemates. Marody and Benson do that

Reactions: KYams17

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

This. I only watch highlights, so I don't know as much as some others, but I see a lot of plays where Benson caused the goal.

@replacement, how exactly do you think Marody carries Benson?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Kinda funny how JP is considered a bust by some, yet Benson is a promising prospect.

Same draft, Benson is 2 months older than JP aswell.

Reactions: Macblender

Macblender

May 5, 2014
We do not have the space for two rookies in the NHL especially if we are trying to gain some forward depth and trying to ice a more competitive team. Lets leave him in the minors to further develop rather than rush him as this is his first year pro and first fullish season in a long time. Let him dominate next year and bring him up later in the season if at all.

We have plenty of depth players deals coming up after next year and at that point we should start bringing a little more youth into the line up. But right now we should not be buying players out in order to fit in ELCs and then asking them to do too much for example those saying to play him with RNH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad