Player Discussion Tyler Benson

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
Think Benson will be the missing piece to a McDavid-Draisaitl line sooner than later. He is the best of what made Maroon so good up there plus better in almost all other areas. Big Rig could dangle that might be the only thing he is better at.

For 2019 I think he is a third line at least for sure.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Think Benson will be the missing piece to a McDavid-Draisaitl line sooner than later. He is the best of what made Maroon so good up there plus better in almost all other areas. Big Rig could dangle that might be the only thing he is better at.

For 2019 I think he is a third line at least for sure.
I love Benson as much as anyone but he does not protect the puck like Maroon, not even close. Maroon is impossible to knock off the puck. I do see him as a potential fit there someday though given that he is a very intelligent player with supreme playmaking skills, and good puck recovery skills.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I love Benson as much as anyone but he does not protect the puck like Maroon, not even close. Maroon is impossible to knock off the puck. I do see him as a potential fit there someday though given that he is a very intelligent player with supreme playmaking skills, and good puck recovery skills.
Benson doesn't have the puck protection like Maroon does but his playmaking and hockey IQ often makes it so he doesn't have to hold on to the puck super long. I think he has what it takes to be a great winger for McDavid within the next 2 seasons.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Benson doesn't have the puck protection like Maroon does but his playmaking and hockey IQ often makes it so he doesn't have to hold on to the puck super long. I think he has what it takes to be a great winger for McDavid within the next 2 seasons.

The guys skating is atrocious. That's all he needs to work on. Spend 5 months all summer on one thing. Skating. If he ever gets to average speed, he could be a decent winger for either McDrai

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
The guys skating is atrocious. That's all he needs to work on. Spend 5 months all summer on one thing. Skating. If he ever gets to average speed, he could be a decent winger for either McDrai

What? That does not describe his skating at all.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
His skating isn't atrocious...

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I agree with you. In fact, I'd be more inclined to think that Benson's playmaking and intelligence is what allows us to finally separate McD and Drai. A Benson, McD line will still need someone with size that can dig a puck out and keep a cycle going.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The guys skating at worse is average. He doesn't have a high top speed but his edgework and exceleration are all better than Maroons.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree with you. In fact, I'd be more inclined to think that Benson's playmaking and intelligence is what allows us to finally separate McD and Drai. A Benson, McD line will still need someone with size that can dig a puck out and keep a cycle going.
A Benson, McDavid line would still need someone who can score as both are primarily play makers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well McDavid does have 40 goals 2 years in a row, there's no reason another play maker couldn't push him over 50.
I mean...Draisaitl is primarily a playmaker too. If Benson is with McDavid and Draisaitl that works. It Drai is off you need to replace him with a guy who can fill the net.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mean...Draisaitl is primarily a playmaker too. If Benson is with McDavid and Draisaitl that works. It Drai is off you need to replace him with a guy who can fill the net.
I mean more smart players together on a line, should lead to more offensive success, one would think, but we'll have to see. Eitherway I think there's a future for Benson in the top-6.

Edit: Like you said with Draisaitl, I think McDavid and Draisaitl are SO good they transcend just being a play maker because they have the ability to do the scoring themselves as well. I see as more effective players in the top-6 should lead to more team success.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

The Maroon comparison doesn't work for me. They are 2 completely different players with completely different tool sets.

I dont understand how this comparison even got traction.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I'm surprised when we were still in the playoff hunt at the end of the year there and were struggling up front that they never called this guy up and gave him a shot...

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
What does he need to work on to take his game to the next level? Seems to me like his skating and shot/goal scoring ability could be a focus this summer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What does he need to work on to take his game to the next level? Seems to me like his skating and shot/goal scoring ability could be a focus this summer.
That and continuing to get stronger. He's a guy that has the potential to be a 2-way retrieval guy who can win a lot of loose pucks for you and is really good at distributing it. Skating will need to improve if he wants to be a threat as a transition player and if he wants to be the prototypical 2-way winger with some grit. His shot really isn't a weakness of his, he just doesn't use it as much as he could as he primarily thinks pass first. Aside from skating I'd honestly like to see him focus on his work in front of the net. If he can learn to score more off rebounds and tips he would be very effective in that role because he's very good at reading the play and getting to loose pucks down low.

Daryls Friend

May 14, 2017
Everyone else who has actually watched games this year disagree.
Everyone.
Funny.
Probably the same guys who say his skating is a strength.
Who are the same guys that thought because JP looked dominant in the pre season it translates.
There is a world of difference between an average skater at the AHL level to the NHL.
And Im not hating on the guy. But skating is going to be his primary issue.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I was hoping that he'd be closer to 50 this season TBH. Being even more dangerous as a shooter should be his next focal point in his game.

lol its crazy how good he is

Why not 82 goals... Honestly watching him play I feel like he could do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad